Lynx Defense

When you carry do you keep a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2014
    Waco, Texas
    I carry a DAO with heavier than stock trigger pull. Semi autos are not safe imo, even with a manual safety. Anything mechanical can and does fail, why would you want an explosion waiting to happen on your hip?

According to your last sentence do you not also consider wheel guns to also be not safe?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Brand, hang on there.

As you are probably aware revolvers aren't mechanical, they're ethereal.

Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing can go wrong with a revolver, ever.

Honest.

Ah, except when they do.

P.S. Old revolvers make great paper weights.

Visable Abs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    These threads make me angry that they even exist. But,

dalai%20lama_zps2aintddq.jpg

My opinion is that if you aren't comfortable carrying with one in the chamber you either need to change your weapon to one you are comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, or you need to not carry at all until you are.
    This

1 in the chamber, no safety.

/thread

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Brand, hang on there.

As you are probably aware revolvers aren't mechanical, they're ethereal.

Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing can go wrong with a revolver, ever.

Honest.

Ah, except when they do.

P.S. Old revolvers make great paper weights.
    Except black powder revolvers. They still work, supper deady projectile and a smokescreen to hide behind.

from an idgit coffeeholic

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ussoldier1984,

Understood. - SOME of our members may well be "nervous" about "locked & loaded".
    (Fwiw, I was once, long ago, issued a 1911A1 that was so nearly "worn-out" as to be UNSAFE to fire. - After several unsuccessful "trips to DS/GS maintenance", I drove to a nearby post , which had an AMU, & asked one of the senior AMU armorers to FIX it to where I where I wasn't afraid to carry it. - He fixed the 1911 "better than new".)

Fyi, at the end of the 1911A1 service, SOME of the pistols were UNREPAIRABLE by depot maintenance personnel. = We sent any number in & were notified that they had been scrapped.
    (Buying the M9 was a GOOD idea, imo.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    1911 chambered, cocked, safety off. Thumb breaks sits in front of the hammer.

Unless you have people routinely shooting at you; this is extremely poor safety practice and will likely result in a Negligent Discharge.
    It's not if its when, practice lowering thumb safety or carry another platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casp625

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Unless you have people routinely shooting at you; this is extremely poor safety practice and will likely result in a Negligent Discharge.
    It's not if its when, practice lowering thumb safety or carry another platform

Probably an extremely poor safety practice for you. I assume.

ETA: my other carry weapon is a striker fired/no external safety/round chambered handgun... But I guess I should just find ANOTHER platform since this weapon is extremely poor on safety.

Last edited:

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    1911 cocked and locked plus 2 spare mags.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Probably an extremely poor safety practice for you. I assume.

ETA: my other carry weapon is a striker fired/no external safety/round chambered handgun... But I guess I should just find ANOTHER platform since this weapon is extremely poor on safety.

If it's all the same to you, I carry 1911s with 4lb short pull/reset triggers; only lowering thumb safety as I'm swinging gun up to line up sights. The reason a DAO trigger is safer is because of the long, often heavy pull, and if applicable the Trigger Safety, but either weapon can fail regardless of safety employed or not...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    texasnurse,

ANYTHING made by people can fail. Nonetheless, what you posit is highly UNLIKELY.
    (That's why I routinely carry a Model 12 S&W "snubbie" daily & for "more serious social purposes" & when I was active as a LEO, I have a Sig-Sauer P225, that FEELS much like the DA trigger on a typical S&W revolver.)

just my opinions, satx

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Defender size 1911 and/or LC9s pro. Round chambered always and everyone in the house knows it. Neither have close to a double action trigger.
    Keep the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Neither is going to fire by themselves.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    texasnurse,

ANYTHING made by people can fail. Nonetheless, what you posit is highly UNLIKELY.
    (That's why I routinely carry a Model 12 S&W "snubbie" daily & for "more serious social purposes" & when I was active as a LEO, I have a Sig-Sauer P225, that FEELS much like the DA trigger on a typical S&W revolver.)

just my opinions, satx

Not my Point Casp625 stated that he carried a 1911 Loaded and Cocked but not locked, which is poor practice unless I'm being trolled...

Top Bottom