• striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    We have this on display at my work.

369a0092ebbb51b5c5f2951565746ee8.jpg
    That's cool! Do you follow F1? I've been to COTA for a couple of races.
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don’t actively follow F1 but going to COTA to watch an F1 race is on my list of things to do, as well as watching Drive to Survive.
    F1 is a shitshow. Don't go unless you fenagle your way into one of the private parties.

If you want to have a good time at COTA, go watch the Ferrari Challenge next weekend.
    1681416028810.png

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What’s wrong with it exactly
    The cost of everything. Transportation and parking. Volume of people attending. Access is very limited for general admission. People taking it way to seriously instead of having fun. Most of the drivers and team members are stuck up whiners. The racing isn't very entertaining. Like Ben said; the politics are insufferable.

The Ferrari event I posted about is free BTW.

The Speed Tour is probably the best overall event at COTA. Not only is it the national vintage races, but also Trans Am and IGT. Access is fantastic, too. Have a car or driver you like? Just wander into their garage and strike up a convo with the team. It's the complete opposite vibe from F1.
    1681486882563.png

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I went to the vintage car races at COTA, that was very cool. F1 we found parking right by the track, people living there sell spaces in their yards. Around $20 for the day.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Access is very limited for general admission.
    Having only attended one F1 race in my life, perhaps I shouldn't comment...but when has that ever stopped me? :)

To me, F1 is a worldwide example of something we went through in Houston back when the horse track opened. People who wanted to see racing would no longer have to drive way south on 45 to go to the dog races. Some big name famous people were behind it, most notably Mattress Mac, a guy who knows how to make the little people feel valued.

The pre-opening buzz was amazing. That track was set up for resounding success. It was going to be a touchstone of Houston culture, a place where everybody went at least once a year to build poignant memories.

All they had to do was not screw it up.

The first couple of weeks it was open, 10s of 1000s of people from all strata of society showed up.

If you didn't arrive in something that looked like you should have a chauffeur, the staff just stuck their noses in the air and pointed you to the far (very far) side of the parking lot. If you tried to valet your middle class car or truck, the valet service would refuse you. Once inside, the staff and management acted like they were in a contagious disease ward whenever they were forced to interact with the general public.

Horse racing is the sport of kings. The management had created an atmosphere where if you weren't at least part of the royal family you were deliberately made to feel inferior, unwelcome, and rude for daring to show your face among your superiors.

In two weeks, attendance fell through the floor and most people never went back. They've had to rely on gimmicks and renting out their parking lot to the circus to make ends meet. The whole place was closed for months at a time while they tried to figure out what went wrong.

To his credit, Mattress Mac called out the management for alienating the low-dollar repeat customers who would have made the place a huge success. He did his best but the folks controlling the place had installed a management staff so incompetent with their noses so far in the air that no normal consumer could put up with their insufferable antics.

F1 seems to do that on a worldwide basis. If you helicopter into the VIP area and spend $10K/day on a suite overlooking the track, you're made to feel right at home. If you're just a car enthusiast who wants to see the racing, you're just a wad of old gum they have to scrape off the bottom of their shoe.

I am not a fan.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We’re now a sponsor for Ferarri F1

And it’s no coincidence that this release went out the same day.
    They’ll build our technology into their road cars…you gotta pay to play.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    F1? Sheesh, there have been books.

It's a combination of infinite money, political prima donnas, and institutional corruption exceeded only (arguably) by the International Olympic Committee.

I know F1 itself is probably corrupt but is there a reason I shouldn’t go view a race as a spectator other than to boycott them lol

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    The cost of everything. Transportation and parking. Volume of people attending. Access is very limited for general admission. People taking it way to seriously instead of having fun. Most of the drivers and team members are stuck up whiners. The racing isn't very entertaining. Like Ben said; the politics are insufferable.

The Ferrari event I posted about is free BTW.

The Speed Tour is probably the best overall event at COTA. Not only is it the national vintage races, but also Trans Am and IGT. Access is fantastic, too. Have a car or driver you like? Just wander into their garage and strike up a convo with the team. It's the complete opposite vibe from F1.
    View attachment 382985

Ah ok makes sense. Will probably just pass then.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    We’re now a sponsor for Ferarri F1

And it’s no coincidence that this release went out the same day.
    They’ll build our technology into their road cars…you gotta pay to play.

We are a sponsor for AMG Petronas. They use our computing technology or something for analytics. I’d have to check if my company has discounts or offers something better than pleb seats at a better price that might make it worth it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We are a sponsor for AMG Petronas. They use our computing technology or something for analytics. I’d have to check if my company has discounts or offers something better than pleb seats at a better price that might make it worth it.

Evan as the head of sales for our biggest audio customer, I’ve already been told “don’t ask” LMAO

Our F1 perks are reserved for C-Suite execs, evidently.

Top Bottom