• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Seems people can't get rid of them fast enough once the warranty runs out and the costs start coming directly out of their pocket. When I owned mine it was a challenge to find a competent mechanic that didn't charge an arm and leg. If you do your own work they can be wonderful cars though.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Seems people can't get rid of them fast enough once the warranty runs out and the costs start coming directly out of their pocket. When I owned mine it was a challenge to find a competent mechanic that didn't charge an arm and leg. If you do your own work they can be wonderful cars though.
    That's certainly been my impression from a distance. I've never owned a foreign car (in the classic sense), and it would take some intestinal fortitude to buy one based on the notion you have to keep it in warranty and be prepared to visit the dealer a lot. I'm just not a fan of the Japanese vehicles, little things like their switch gear and control layouts bug me. I could deal if the performance was there, but it's usually not. The Lexus GS-F is visually interesting other than the weird grille, but it's slow and reportedly handles like poop.

The problem is there's few choices for domestic performance sedans. I'm basically looking at a CTS-V (discontinued), the new C6-V (can't buy one yet), Charger Hellcat (had a prev. gen. Charger SRT8, it was meh), or the Chevy SS (ugly, discontinued) if I want to stay with the big three. The Germans make some nice cars (M5, RS7, C63 AMG), but I can't justify 6 figures for something that always needs it's mommy (dealer service). Probably won't be able to talk myself into the money anyway, because I just don't want to take the depreciation hit. I'm on track to retire early, and I'm not going to derail that with silly car purchases :)

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya

That’s a good point. Though one trick I learned was to take advantage of parts compatibility between cars and manufacturers. An example would be an OEM part such as a fuel system component.

A fuel injector for a Gallardo is identical to a Bosch injector made for Audi and VW, at roughly 1/8 the price. Were it not for online resources and communities, I would have been forced to pay out the nose. And software on vehicles is another issue. An infuriating one at that.

I had to replace the battery on our Honda Accord and was locked out of the stereo afterwards. McKinney Honda wanted $80 to provide the code. My wife was bothered that the dealership would basically hold the car stereo hostage for money. She’s resourceful and thrifty and was able to obtain it after watching a couple of YouTube videos.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Nothing depreciates faster than a large German sedan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. I don’t buy new cars of any kind because of depreciation.

I recently saw a nice S550 for $17k at a wholesale auction. Returned off lease with 60 something thousand on the odometer.

There’s several good auto auctions within an hour of the house. German cars comprise a significant percentage of what’s offered. And they are dirt cheap because people don’t want want to deal with a German car off warranty.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Well I am currently driving a 2015 VW Beetle TDI (diesel) for my commuting needs. This is the last of the TDI's and the last of the Beetles as well. It makes a good commuting car. I drive the 1935 on the weekends to shows and such and date nights with the wife. I also keep an old Ford truck around (inline 6 cylinder, manual trans) for any work that needs to be done. I have a cable and software that allows me to look at and monitor/program the software on the Beetle. The 1935 and truck are old school.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Well I am currently driving a 2015 VW Beetle TDI (diesel) for my commuting needs. This is the last of the TDI's and the last of the Beetles as well. It makes a good commuting car. I drive the 1935 on the weekends to shows and such and date nights with the wife. I also keep an old Ford truck around (inline 6 cylinder, manual trans) for any work that needs to be done. I have a cable and software that allows me to look at and monitor/program the software on the Beetle. The 1935 and truck are old school.

You didn’t sell your TDi back to VW?
    They were offering to buy cars at close to original MSRP due to DieselGate.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I sure hate to be nosy. But what do you do for work? Looks like a fun job;)

No problem at all!

My day job:
    We build, prep, source/find, modify and transport cars for movies, TV shows, commercials, auto shows, carmaker “ride and drive” events and the like. We also manage car fleets (hundreds and hundreds of cars) for several carmakers.

And we transport cars for higher-end clientele. All of our trucks are enclosed, and it’s sort of a “white-glove” delivery service.

But am transitioning toward real estate investing and GC/contracting thru some start-ups with partners

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If you want to test your DIY mechanic mettle, buy a Jag. German cars are easy.
    If I had the time and found a Jag I liked enough, I could see myself buying one and LS swapping it. Way back when I was very close to swapping an E46 but I did a Mustang instead (before everyone and their Mother started doing it).

I can't wait until my youngest is a little bit older, and I can get back into building cars. I really, really miss it but our current family schedule doesn't allow the time. I think he's going to love the garage time more than he already does.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    You didn’t sell your TDi back to VW?
    They were offering to buy cars at close to original MSRP due to DieselGate.

I bought mine after the fiasco happened as a stop sale car (unsold 2015, stored, and bought new in 2017). They had extremely good pricing on them and still do on some of the fixed buy back cars. IMO dieselgate was just the government(s) way to make money. The actual emissions were just a small thing compared to all the serviceable cars that were crushed and destroyed and new ones made. A fine and just keeping the cars on the road as is or with a fix would have been better for the environment.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Jags are for sissy’s. Buy a Triumph or MG if you’re into pain :)
    Hey now! My first car was an MGB. I drove it for years and it never stranded me. I did rebuild the motor, suspension, put a different transmission in, different carb, different fuel pump, re-did the electrics etc. though. At least I learned a lot.

Top Bottom