Venture Surplus ad

Where to hunt pigs and dees (Houston/Sugar Land)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZIG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Sorry if this question has been asked many times. I did some search and did not find any posts.
    I am seriously considering hunting, and my wife does not seem to object to it. I have a few friends hunt ducks but nothing really big. I am more interested in hunting hogs and deer. I live in Sugar Land. It would be great if the nice folks here can name a few places, private preferred, to hunt.
    I don't have a hunting rifle yet. I am thinking about buying a Savage 111 Trophy hunter, 30-06 maybe. I plan carrying on me a .45 in case I suck at shooting living things.
    I shoot 12 gauge magnum without any problem so hopefully recoil won't be too much of an issue.

Thank you.
    Capitol Armory ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    There's a lot of choices for hunting hogs and deer. What type of area will you be hunting in? How long might your shots be? And you'll still have a great deal of options.
    I personally think 30.06 is a little too much for Texas deer and hogs in most cases. The new round for those critters in Texas seems to be the 6.5 Creedmore.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I do not personally have one but one of my best friends that hunts on his ranch in Mt. Home, Tx. uses (and reloads for) the 6.5. I'm told that caliber has less recoil that the others close to it and it's very flat shooting.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Check the TPW Public lands. Different opportunities all over the state. Depending on how and what, Corps of Engineer properties can be hunted as well. Contact the Ft Worth district office for info.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ZIG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Sugar Land
    There's a lot of choices for hunting hogs and deer. What type of area will you be hunting in? How long might your shots be? And you'll still have a great deal of options.
    I personally think 30.06 is a little too much for Texas deer and hogs in most cases. The new round for those critters in Texas seems to be the 6.5 Creedmore.

I did some research. It seems reviews are not really informative. You see some happy customers and some angry ones for their own reasons. I would like to know the ones that our forum members have first hand experience with.

I have no clue about the details like areas and distance yet. Just a beginner who wants to learn but unfortunately do not personally know any experience hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did some research. It seems reviews are not really informative. You see some happy customers and some angry ones for their own reasons. I would like to know the ones that our forum members have first hand experience with.

I have no clue about the details like areas and distance yet. Just a beginner who wants to learn but unfortunately do not personally know any experience hunters.

I'm sorry I do not have any info as to "where to hunt". But I can talk rifles....

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    If you want to hunt hogs I can narrow it down for you but you'll have to research to pin it down. South of Houston towards Lake Jackson along Chocolate Bayou there are several places to hunt pigs. I'm almost positive it is private with guides available as well. I will be more than happy to investigate more for you just let me know. I have a friend who is a hunting guide in the Columbus Texas area and he is familiar with hunting spots all along the Gulf Coast Region. I'm a Land Surveyor by trade and about 20 years ago I had an estimated 500 pound hog chase my big ass across Matagorda Island while working down there. That's in the same vicinity. I say estimated because I was running really fast and didn't actually weigh him on a set of scales.

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Before choosing your rifle (or pistol), the first thing I'd recommend is determine exactly what you're going to hunt (pigs & hogs evidently), at what maximum range, day or night, and get recommendations on what scope (if any) you're going to use.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'd think a guy with some traps could get more feral hogs, then get permission to hunt them from landowners. Had two elderly buddies did it for years in Palestine & made good money at it until they got to old to do it any longer.

ZIG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Sugar Land
    If you want to hunt hogs I can narrow it down for you but you'll have to research to pin it down. South of Houston towards Lake Jackson along Chocolate Bayou there are several places to hunt pigs. I'm almost positive it is private with guides available as well. I will be more than happy to investigate more for you just let me know. I have a friend who is a hunting guide in the Columbus Texas area and he is familiar with hunting spots all along the Gulf Coast Region. I'm a Land Surveyor by trade and about 20 years ago I had an estimated 500 pound hog chase my big ass across Matagorda Island while working down there. That's in the same vicinity. I say estimated because I was running really fast and didn't actually weigh him on a set of scales.

That is really great. I would really appreciate more information about hunting spots and an experienced guide.

Yup I know hogs are pretty tough that is why I am thinking about carrying a .45 with me, just in case

ZIG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Before choosing your rifle (or pistol), the first thing I'd recommend is determine exactly what you're going to hunt (pigs & hogs evidently), at what maximum range, day or night, and get recommendations on what scope (if any) you're going to use.

99% of shooting are with shotguns and handguns so far. I would say that with scope I would be more confident within in 150 yard range, daytime preferred. I placed a bid on a trophy hunter on gunbroker with Nikon 3-9x40mm Scope. So if I win and the is probably the scope I will use for a while.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You doing it for money or sport? (or both?).
    I'm not doing it.

The old guys I knew who did it, did it for money. And they made good cash money. They transported the hogs to their pens & sold them dead or alive. Lots of asians from Dallas/Fort Worth bought them. They would sell the big boar hogs to guys who sold hunts.

Top Bottom