Where to put gun cabinet?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
So at my old place i had my own closet for gun cabinet and all my gear. Well thats not so at the new place. Fail on me.

Tell me what you think and dont be afraid to tell me im worrying over nothing.

Im concerned about guns/ammo being affected by humidity and by temperature changes.

I originally had my stuff in a walk in closet...attached to the bathroom but separated by a door. Then i got thinking that may be no beuno due to the humidity in the bathroom.

So i moved it all to another room but that room seems to be a bit drafty in this cool weather.

Input? Criticism? Kickstarter for a real gun safe?

no2gates

Supereme IT Overlord
TGT Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Grand Prairie, TX
In my opinion, you need a gun safe. If you're not home and someone breaks in, the last thing you want to do is to arm a criminal with more weapons.
You can get a dessicant pack to help remove the moisture or a golden rod.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
In my opinion, you need a gun safe. If you're not home and someone breaks in, the last thing you want to do is to arm a criminal with more weapons.
You can get a dessicant pack to help remove the moisture or a golden rod.
Its a decent cabinet. Will stop regular thief. Power tools, theyll get in. I do have a desicant pack in there. Safes are on sale now...

F350-6

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
May 25, 2009
Near the bathroom is not ideal, but depending on ventilation, habits, dehumidifiers, etc., it all depends. I'd suggest you take advantage of the season and find one of those clocks or devices that in addition to other things, displays humidity. Maybe pick up a couple and place them in the areas you're considering and monitor the humidity levels to determine if one place is better than the other.

In the mean time, keep things cleaned and oiled up, but you don't have to exactly freak out about it. Just pay attention and keep up with it while you make your decision.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
If you have central heat and air, proximity to a bathroom or utility room and the small bump in humidity they generate shouldn't be an issue for a maintained firearm. I had stashed a Llama 357 in a rug in my bathroom closet for years ... decades ... and it never caused an issue.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
Golden rod for the win. Well worth the cost and works in a cabinet or safe.

PS, get a safe. It sounds like you are leaning that way anyways.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
Nov 27, 2013
Austin
I have used a walk in closet off my master bathroom for nearly 20 years with no problem whatsoever. But it probably helps that the closet has its own HVAC vent.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members