• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well this weekend I completed my hunter safety course. Now I'm at a fair loss as to how to find a place to hunt and I suppose someone experienced to hunt with.

I guess for now all I'm looking at is going after hogs with my AR or bunnies/squirrels with my 10/22.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Hurley's Gold

austinrob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm old enough I'm exempted from the HSC. I just need to go buy my license.

But like you, I have no idea where to start looking for a place or someone to help.

I've got a PSL that I can shoot smaller than a 2" group at 100yd with, so as long as we're inside 200yd, I should be ok.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wouldn't say you have to be rich to have land, but yeah, pretty much nailed it on the places you can hunt.

Every now and then I hear about a cheap lease but I'm never quick enough to get it. A descent lease at $500/yr soul go about as quick as a NIB 10/22 for $50.

Best bet is to make friends and save to buy some cheap land in the middle of nowhere.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I wouldn't say you have to be rich to have land, but yeah, pretty much nailed it on the places you can hunt.

Every now and then I hear about a cheap lease but I'm never quick enough to get it. A descent lease at $500/yr soul go about as quick as a NIB 10/22 for $50.

Best bet is to make friends and save to buy some cheap land in the middle of nowhere.

Send me a pm on where all this cheap land is that's for sale and is large enough to hunt on please.....

austinrob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    define cheap. I've seen 90acre plots for less than 200K. I'd love to have 90acres in the middle of nowhere with a cabin in the middle. I can't afford the extra mortgage payment though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I see descent deals in south and west Texas.

You don't have to have that much land to hunt on if you manage it right. If deer are in the area they will cross your property if you give them the right incentives.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Do like I do. Live in the country on acreage. My son shot his first buck in our backyard (20 acres). I shot a decent (for the area) 8 pt off my back porch in my underwear. Had to get dressed just to get him and field dress him. I usually take one deer per season and as many hogs as I see.

Sent from my Obama phone.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I see descent deals in south and west Texas.

You don't have to have that much land to hunt on if you manage it right. If deer are in the area they will cross your property if you give them the right incentives.

That'll probably be my plan in a few years, buy a quarter section somewhere around houston or san antonio. Play the cards right and get one near one of the huge 1000+ acre ranches and snag what comes across the line once a year.

We don't eat pork though so i'm not sure what we are going to do with all the pigs killed from tearing up our garden. Finally a problem I'm looking forward to having.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    That'll probably be my plan in a few years, buy a quarter section somewhere around houston or san antonio. Play the cards right and get one near one of the huge 1000+ acre ranches and snag what comes across the line once a year.

We don't eat pork though so i'm not sure what we are going to do with all the pigs killed from tearing up our garden. Finally a problem I'm looking forward to having.

If you leave the corpse out, I hear the other pigs will cannibalize it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

austinrob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    That is pretty cheap, depending on location, etc.....
    correction. I was off by 100K. It was a 90ac plot for $279K

best I can find now in the same general area is 75ac for 600K east of Jarrell in Bartlett or 60ac for 500K south of Taylor. (there are 2 of the 60ac plots for 500K each right next to each other)

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    May try to take a road trip one weekend up to the hill country and hit up some of the local feed stores and auction barns. Some times there are postings for hunting leases. Plus you might be able to meet some local folks and talk to them

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    They will, if the coyotes don't get there first. Hint: dead pigs make good coyote bait.

Great we'll just have a mountain of dead coyotes and pigs on a corner of the property. Maybe put them on pikes as a warning to the other pests.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom