• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I see descent deals in south and west Texas.

You don't have to have that much land to hunt on if you manage it right. If deer are in the area they will cross your property if you give them the right incentives.

An Obamaphone??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We don't eat pork though so i'm not sure what we are going to do with all the pigs killed from tearing up our garden. Finally a problem I'm looking forward to having.
    1. You're really missing out...
    2. You have dogs? Grind it, can it, and have a 5 year supply of dog food.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    1. You're really missing out...
    2. You have dogs? Grind it, can it, and have a 5 year supply of dog food.

1. Not really missing out as far as pork goes, used to eat it and had hog a few times as well. Now I've got a good excuse to drop the money on good hot dogs, beef bacon is good stuff, I've got pretty good at making my own homemade beef italian & breakfast sausages, only bitch is finding decent pepperoni. Turkey pepperoni sucks, can't find any beef kosher & halal pepperoni is friggin expensive.

2. dog food aint a bad idea, plan on getting a GSD as soon as we ditch apartment hell for some acreage.

More on topic with this thread, do any ranches offer some straight up meat hunts for deer? I really don't give a damn about a trophy. I'd just like to try getting into hunting & general farming for that matter, but hunts seem to start at close to 2grand and guarantee buck of X size etc.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I doubt any place would be free, lol........

yeah I'm not looking for free. 2k for some fresh meat, deer jerky and sausage sticks is a bit steep though. Need to meet some ranchers here, i'd be all about bustin ass on fences or shoveling shit for some fresh beef or deer.

Sniper John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas
    Start putting in for some of those draw hunts.
    TPWD: Public Hunt Drawing System: Drawn Hunts
    This first year perhaps put in for some of the hunts with better odds of getting drawn. After you find other opportunities for hunting, switch to putting in for the lesser odds, more primo hunts. It's not a bad program. I have even taken a record book Aoudad (caprock canyons state park) and a record book Ibex (Mason Mountain WMA) through the drawn hunts.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Yeah it seems it is about knowing people and getting to know people they know. My buddy grew up in South TX and he hunts on a lease for $500/gun/yr. I am not sure how big the property is, but he has taken deer, pig, dove, etc. It is a 4+hr drive for me 1 way, but I told him to let me know if a spot ever opens up on it. I wish I could find something closer, I mean I guess if I wanted to run the risk I could hunt OP Schnabel park, I see deer in there all the time, find them like we find squirrels. I have seen those CL pig hunts but would like to find one that is legit but also reasonable. I don't need to be "outfitted" have a place to stay, cooked meals etc.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I was in the Big Ben area a few weeks ago. Girl at the hotel said they bought 100 acres for 20 grand. Not much to hunt there except Aoudad (Giant Aoudad - YouTube) and the occasional hog... but the land is CHEAP.

Hey, I just realized this is my 1000th post! WooHoo!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom