• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I just got rid of a Chrony and got a Caldwell from Midway USA. Much less finicky and I can use my phone to collect the data. Outstanding! And if I shoot it I'm only out $69.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm a little late to this party, but I have been studying this as well and thinking about the new Caldwell from Cabelas

They have a deluxe kit, that comes with a tripod, and all of the cables to hook to your smart phone for $129 and if you use a Cabela's card, you get and additional $15 back in club points (dollars)

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...nic-hand-held-wind-meter?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Heres another product by caldwell im looking into getting. Its basically a cheap kestrel/fdac knock off. No reviews on midway yet but id seen it for the first time when the caldwell chronos went on sale. Ill try and dig up some reviews and hopefully someone else finds some too. But i think this is a very good direction for budget minded newbie LR shooters.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm a little late to this party, but I have been studying this as well and thinking about the new Caldwell from Cabelas

They have a deluxe kit, that comes with a tripod, and all of the cables to hook to your smart phone for $129 and if you use a Cabela's card, you get and additional $15 back in club points (dollars)

We'll give her a whirl next nice weekend.
    I'll holler.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That radar one looks awesome, but total overkill for anything I'd be concerned with (not like that has ever stopped me before...). Pretty much any premium bullet manufacturer will specify the ballistic coefficient so with muzzle velocity you should be able to work out your drops and velocity. You could always measure drop at various distances and work the maths backwards, too.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    That radar one looks awesome, but total overkill for anything I'd be concerned with (not like that has ever stopped me before...). Pretty much any premium bullet manufacturer will specify the ballistic coefficient so with muzzle velocity you should be able to work out your drops and velocity. You could always measure drop at various distances and work the maths backwards, too.
    I NEVER go with what the manufacturer says is the bc. Many are over compensated. I use brian litz g7 bc which are tested and trued.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I NEVER go with what the manufacturer says is the bc. Many are over compensated. I use brian litz g7 bc which are tested and trued.
    Same here. I try to keep up with any data he posts.

There is a good comparison of chronographs in Litz's new book. The Ohler was best with a custom bracket for the the screens. I just use a pro chrony and then adjust my velocity to match drop on my rifles.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I got my Caldwell Chronograph premium kit in and had a chance to get it out the other evening.
    It's a nice unit, well built and designed. I set it up on the tripod that came with the kit. It has a simple switch on the left side.

MPS - OFF - FPS

after I turned it on it does a 5 second countdown and goes into ready mode. We set this up in my shop and opened the door so my son could shoot his airsoft gun through it. Downloaded the Caldwell Chorongrah app for Andriod, plugged the phone into the unit and opened the app. You immediately see the FPS on your phone. Also the app lets you set up groups and it holds that data for you in that group.
    one drawback. I have an HTC One M8 phone and the app didn't get the data from the unit. But we put the app on my son's Samsung Galaxy and it worked right away. I called the customer service number that came with the unit the next day and they told me it had to do with the way that Andriod runs on the HTC phones. The cable is supposed to plug into the earplug jack and it works on every phone but the HTC. They have a solution if you have an HTC phone, they mailed me out (no charge) an adapter that will plug the unit into the micro SD port instead.
    So overall, I am very happy with the Caldwell Chrony. Gonna take it out later today after work for a quick trip to test some 38 Special loads I worked up.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I got my Caldwell Chronograph premium kit in and had a chance to get it out the other evening.
    It's a nice unit, well built and designed. I set it up on the tripod that came with the kit. It has a simple switch on the left side.

MPS - OFF - FPS

after I turned it on it does a 5 second countdown and goes into ready mode. We set this up in my shop and opened the door so my son could shoot his airsoft gun through it. Downloaded the Caldwell Chorongrah app for Andriod, plugged the phone into the unit and opened the app. You immediately see the FPS on your phone. Also the app lets you set up groups and it holds that data for you in that group.
    one drawback. I have an HTC One M8 phone and the app didn't get the data from the unit. But we put the app on my son's Samsung Galaxy and it worked right away. I called the customer service number that came with the unit the next day and they told me it had to do with the way that Andriod runs on the HTC phones. The cable is supposed to plug into the earplug jack and it works on every phone but the HTC. They have a solution if you have an HTC phone, they mailed me out (no charge) an adapter that will plug the unit into the micro SD port instead.
    So overall, I am very happy with the Caldwell Chrony. Gonna take it out later today after work for a quick trip to test some 38 Special loads I worked up.

ok, I take that back

took it out to the range, set it up and turned it on. Error message. It won't work. Called Customer Service, told them the error message and they said they have had a bunch of them ship out that were bad. It's an error in the rear sensor.
    The way he put it was you get a good one or a bad one. They are in the process of getting new units tested and shipped out right now so it will take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement.

I took a chance and went down in flames I guess. Mine worked fine when I first took it out of the box but only had it on for a few minutes.

They were very apologetic and sorry about the situation so I can't be upset with them, just upset at the situation.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    ok, I take that back

took it out to the range, set it up and turned it on. Error message. It won't work. Called Customer Service, told them the error message and they said they have had a bunch of them ship out that were bad. It's an error in the rear sensor.
    The way he put it was you get a good one or a bad one. They are in the process of getting new units tested and shipped out right now so it will take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement.

I took a chance and went down in flames I guess. Mine worked fine when I first took it out of the box but only had it on for a few minutes.

They were very apologetic and sorry about the situation so I can't be upset with them, just upset at the situation.
    Did you have the phone plugged in when you booted it up?

Try unplugging the phone from the unit boot it up and then plug the phone in.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Did you have the phone plugged in when you booted it up?

Try unplugging the phone from the unit boot it up and then plug the phone in.

you're just gonna have to trust me on this. Any and every thing you can think up to try was tried today.

The unit is bad.

When I first opened it up at the house Tuesday night and turned it on it worked fine with the ap on the phone.
    It even read my son's airsoft gun just fine.

Today it had Error2 on the LCD without the phone attached. Took out the battery, waited. Tried again. Customer service said it was a bad unit like many of them have been apparently a bad rear optical sensor.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Yeah i had seen a few units with that error but some were able to make it go away. Sucks you got a defective one. But as you mentioned luckily their cs is good.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    The labradar will have a suggested retail of $559.95. The Oehler 35P is $595.00. So I'd call the labradar the cheaper option among premium chronographs.

The cheap chronos all cost around $100.

In the $200+ range there are a couple of units from PACT and CED but I don't like those. I'm willing to pay for the proof channel (extra accuracy) and replaceable parts (if I shoot them) of the Oehler 35P. Or I'm willing to buy something so cheap that if I shoot it, I won't cry. Anything in between seems to me to be neither fish nor fowl.
    This one popped up on my radar, pun intended, recently. :cool:

Was leaning magnetospeed, but this radar unit is looking really tempting.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    This one popped up on my radar, pun intended, recently. :cool:

Was leaning magnetospeed, but this radar unit is looking really tempting.
    Magnetos are awesome. Downside is the poi shift a lot of people get. Either use it to get fps and then zero and leave it on all the time and account for the shift.

Top Bottom