• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    ... unless he manages to push the muzzle to the side. An empty chamber in that situation can get ugly(er) fast. There are tricks you can use to get a body part in front of the muzzle after a grab, unless it's a close-in grab and you wind up nose to nose... then you're hosed.

Pistols are a bit easier to keep out of reach, which is why I say they're tops for moving through tight spaces.

Long gun tactics for me can be summed up with one word: ambush. I'm going to sit at the end of a funnel (hallway, stairway, etc.) and wait. If he comes into the funnel, he's getting shot down.

I love this video. It shows two things. One, all it takes is a tiny little hesitation when you're going into a room, and you're going to freaking die. Two, defender has a HUGE advantage, especially against people who don't entirely know what they're doing.

Clearing a room solo is a bad idea. You have to check corners. If you're alone, that means you're going to turn your back to one side of the room as soon as you enter. Hope you guess right... Unless you HAVE to go moving around, don't. Sit tight, keep your gun pointed down the hallway, and wait for the BG to come to you.
    Capitol Armory ad

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    I share your sentiment on ambush. Fortunately for us, even if the grandkids were having a sleep-over, they would be at my 3:00 and 9:00 if I stayed in the bedroom. The only reason I would leave the bedroom would be if the dimwit was still pounding at the door trying to get in, and I have an opportuntity to put myself between the BG and the family, with them on my six.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Call me a mad man, but our home defense shotgun of choice right now is a Mossberg 835 with a 28" barrel, and 5 shell carrier on the stock. First shell is a 2.75" bird shot round. The second is a 3" buck shell. The remaining 3 are 3.5" buck magnum shells. The first round is to scare away any cat burglar that picked the wrong house to tip over. The second is for somebody that decided to press their luck past the warning shot anyway. The third, fourth, and fifth are for when someone's obviously out for our blood, so we're through trying to be nice.

If he gets past those and/or pushes the barrel away, it's just as well because he's loosing teeth when the stock comes around, rubber butt pad or not.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    Call me a mad man, but our home defense shotgun of choice right now is a Mossberg 835 with a 28" barrel, and 5 shell carrier on the stock. First shell is a 2.75" bird shot round. The second is a 3" buck shell. The remaining 3 are 3.5" buck magnum shells. The first round is to scare away any cat burglar that picked the wrong house to tip over. The second is for somebody that decided to press their luck past the warning shot anyway. The third, fourth, and fifth are for when someone's obviously out for our blood, so we're through trying to be nice.

If he gets past those and/or pushes the barrel away, it's just as well because he's loosing teeth when the stock comes around, rubber butt pad or not.

Personally, if I pull the trigger, it's because I am in fear for my life, and I would prefer not to give the bad-guy a choice to cease hostilities, seeing that he has already demonstrated poor decision making skills. He will cease his actions most involutarily due to shutdown of his central nervous system, either due to lack of oxygen to the brain, possibly due to an impact to the upper spinal column/brain stem (not likely in combat, though).

I will concede that most perps will choose to surrender after a gruesome close-in bird-shot wound. It's the others that I worry about. I'll put it this way: If an airline has 10,000 flights in one year, and they only crash 50 (a half of a percent) of them, killling all passengers aboard, would you buy a ticket?

For me, if the tactical situation permits deploying a long-gun, it will be shotgun loaded with buck-shot no smaller than 4B.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    3" and 3 1/2" magnums aren't really going to increase effectiveness. They're meant more for longer ranges or heavier game. 2 3/4 buck works very well at home defense distances.

My personal experience with a 3 1/2" magnum 12 gauge was very negative. Recoil was ridiculous and shells kept wanting to stick in the chamber after they were fired. Reduced recoil buckshot (which is lower velocity) will give you very good effect, even though it's basically just a lighter loaded shell. But it's easier to control, so you can fire and be ready for another shot faster in case that one didn't do the trick.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX

Bird shot and buck shot CQC are pretty much going to be damaging. There's no "warning" shot there. It's all a solid cluster of lead the first few yards. After about 10 feet is when you will want buck. From my research, there is no ballistic or real world benefit to a larger shell or a magnum load. Keep your shotty loaded with 2 3/4 00Buck or #1 buck. It could save your life.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bird shot and buck shot CQC are pretty much going to be damaging. There's no "warning" shot there. It's all a solid cluster of lead the first few yards.

It doesn't work that way. Even at extremely close range, you won't get enough penetration from bird shot. It makes very gruesome-looking but shallow wounds, it won't put anything through bone, either. Shotgun Penetration With Various Rounds | The Truth About Guns

I learned all I needed to know from hitting rabbits in the head at 2-3 feet. It would take about half the head off, but it was the side facing you... And that was either 4 or 6 shot.

If you get a stop with bird shot, odds are very good it was a psychological stop where he freaked out and gave up, and not due to actual physical incapacitation.

Bird shot is for BIRDS. Low recoil buckshot is the ticket.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    I am a carbine man.

Yes, from what I've read so far, my goal is to switch to a carbine. It's just that I don't have one right now, and I'm putting financial priorites on hardening entry points, getting proper professional training on the fire-arms that I do own, then I'll have to give some attention to the "honey-do" list when she sees the ammo bill.
    Ultimately, I would love to have an SBR in 5.56 with a suppressor.

Mcm1209

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Houston
    Didn't read the entire post but here is my $.2 worth.
    Got me a Glock 32 by my bedside with one 15 round magazine and a 10 round. In most situations that will be more than enough to deter any intruder. But if not that will get me to my safe that has my 2 30 round magazines that go into my AR-15 or loaded 7 round 12 gauge semi auto Remington 11-87 . If thats not enough the wife will be loading the .223 magazines (yes she knows and is comfortable loading them) while i unload my O/U 12 gauge then my Remington .270, Glock 19, Glock 26 and last is my Ruger LCP.
    Kind of overboard but you get the idea.
    To me the shotgun is the obvious choice if you are on a budget. You can get a good reliable pump for about $200.
    Nothing better than shooting my AR from down the hall!

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    1300 Winchester Defender with 7 shot capacity with 6 rounds on sidesaddle. All 2 3/4 00buck. No Red Dot on it, just hi vis green front sight and powerful white light on it.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    shotgun - either semi auto or pump , with one in the hole, a full mag tube. 12 gauge buckshot all the way.

10P8TRIOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    East Tennessee
    1300 Winchester Defender with 7 shot capacity with 6 rounds on sidesaddle. All 2 3/4 00buck. No Red Dot on it, just hi vis green front sight and powerful white light on it.
    Ditto ...

MyWin1300Defender01.jpg

MyWin1300Defender05.jpg

MyWin1300Defender06.jpg

LE132.jpg

F14Scott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Katy

EXACT same rig, here. Slugs in the sidesaddle, for the very improbable long-range or penetration need.

Daily

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Texas
    I think everyone can argue their teeth off about which is better for home defense, but situations all come down to equipment and training.

Would you rather have a bone stock maverick 88 straight out of the box with no range time, or a pistol with laser and weapon light that you have taken multiple courses with and have over 5000 rounds through?

If you carry, or intend to defend your family from anything, you want the upper hand. You will achieve that through training, running your equipment and working out the kinks, and having the right mindset.

It will always be up for debate, pistol vs shotgun vs rifle. As long as you have SOMETHING and know how to use it, I think that is the best choice for YOU!

mcmillen67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Copperas Cove, TX
    I have a Winchester Defender 1300. I usually load birdshot into it, don't want to shoot through the wall and hit my kid. The sound of a 12 gauge pump racking is enough to put ice into most peoples veins. That said, I don't use that as my primary any more. I keep a .357 by my bed. Trying to screw around with a shotgun or a rifle while you are laying prone in bed is a pain in the butt at best. There is truth to the "hard to find practice ranges for shotguns" depending where you live. In a city, I imagine it is pretty difficult. In a rural area, not so much. My main concern with a home defense gun is how familiar I am with it and how quick is it to put into operation. When I was in the Army, my M-16 was my bedtime companion, not sure I would want to have something that cumbersome as the first thing I could grab upon waking.

Top Bottom