• Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Surprisingly good.
    99dbde9b23c48e0c238b51a6919e5c18.jpg
    Their rye is one of the better ones, and is one of my three go to rye whiskies. Will have to try this sometime.

Still Austin makes a great bourbon.
    Gun Zone Deals

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    This one's for you @toddnjoyce... my local store did not have any 'bottled in bond' in stock; however this caught my eye and it's actually quite tasty. Wouldn't be my everyday but nonethless, the vinegar/pepper note at the end is smooth.

Wait did I say everyday...?
    69e30e6c82c73add787fff72db201e59.jpg

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Some things are just too much. Beer aged in bourbon barrels, for example. This, too.
    Yeah, I don't know about Tabasco bourbon. But I have to disagree on a bourbon barrel aged stout. There are marginal ones out there but a barrel aged stout done right is one of my favorite beers. One of my friends was part of the home brew club in Illinois that inspired the goose island bourbon County stout. I like a good high abv barley wine too. But what do I know, I'm drinking gin on whiskey Wednesday

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Huh. I was basing that on what someone else had said further up.

I dunno why I like it, I just do. I'm not otherwise sophisticated enough to tell you in any detail. :)

I’d tell you try Bulleit, Larceny, and Wild Turkey 101 before going the Balcones, and I like Balcones for what it is, a niche product targeting a price point.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Tried Bulleit once and hated it. I don't remember exactly why either but I found it hard to drink. Could be the high rye content. Not a fan of the original Wild Turkey either. Not sure how Wild Turkey 101 compares to that.

Have you tried any of the Leadslingers line?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Tried Bulleit once and hated it. I don't remember exactly why either but I found it hard to drink. Could be the high rye content. Not a fan of the original Wild Turkey either. Not sure how Wild Turkey 101 compares to that.

Have you tried any of the Leadslingers line?

Maker’s is a low ABV wheated bourbon. Bulleit and the others, to include 101 are wheated with a higher ABV, sometimes referred to as being spicier.

With this knowledge I would suggest Woodford or Knob Creek.

I’ve had Leadslingers and know the people behind it. It’s not Maker’s.

Have you tried W. L. Weller Special Reserve or any of the Four Roses?

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I have not. I've tried more Irish whiskys than I have bourbons. Heathen that I am.

Spicier makes sense. I think that's a good description and why I didn't like Bulleit.

Appreciate the recommendations! Adding them to my list.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I’d tell you try Bulleit, Larceny, and Wild Turkey 101 before going the Balcones, and I like Balcones for what it is, a niche product targeting a price point.
    I bought my first balcones a few weeks ago. Red label pot still. Haven't opened it yet. Also have a Russell 10yr, michters, and 3 different bottled in bond varieties i have yet to open. If I don't get to drinking more I fear I could lose my Louisiana privileges.

Top Bottom