• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

This is good.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

This is debatable, but I feel that certain HIPAA info needs to be made aware to the system in order for it to work.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

I don't like incentives. It's a buy-out.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

The attorney general is a crook and I don't trust him to review anything. This is biased and completely laughable.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

I highly doubt this is a big issue. It's just more paperwork and costs for law enforcement agencies and more red-tape that owners have to go through to obtain a stolen firearm.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

There's nothing wrong with this, provided the checks are done voluntarily.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

There's nothing wrong with this, safety and responsibility are a problem in this country. I do know it'll be focused on inaccessibility rather than personal responsibility which is bleh.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Gun safes, yes. Gun locks? ... No thanks.

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

This is just loading the ammo rack for future gun bans. They want this info to fuel the fire for more regulations. While it's good to know where the guns are coming from, I don't trust it.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

I feel this is fair. It'd be good for police to have a database and know about possible threats.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

Hahahahha.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

Highly agree.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

Highly agree, enforce the laws. Put teeth behind it.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

I don't trust this, sounds like more info to promote regulations and bans.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

Sounds like a waste of money. The attorney general has no real jurisdiction over this in my book.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Tentative on this, I do feel that doctors should be aware of guns in a mental health capacity, but they aren't gun experts. This should be voluntary and mutually agreed upon by the patient : doctor.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

This is good.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

This is good, if a "resource officer" is a local police officer.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

This is good. Planning and awareness is good.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

Not sure where he's going with this.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

Again, not sure where this is going.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

I feel this topic, mental health, is the major underlying problem. Clarity on the rules and definitions is good.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Highly agree.

He also pushed CONGRESS to do the following::

* Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.

No thanks. This has more ramifications beyond the 2nd. It infringes on commerce within states, the 10th, and other rules. It's inviting the Feds to overwatch more than just gun sales. This is very dangerous.

* Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.

I don't think I trust the "dangerous individuals" ... but putting more info on convicted dangerous people(s) isn't bad. Who defines dangerous?

* Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.

Didn't work the first time, won't work the second time. This is a knee-jerk reaction and a power grab, nothing less.

* Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.

Again, didn't work the first time, won't work the second time. You can reload a gun in seconds ... it's barely limiting the effectiveness of a shooter and is just more of the "feel good" mentality.

* Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.

Armor piercing ammunition is not a problem. Rifles can all pierce body armor, are we going to completely do away with any caliber capable of penetrating body armor?

* Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.

I'm all for prosecuting violent criminals.

* End the freeze on gun violence research.

Since when was their a freeze on this? Maybe perhaps because it was completely intrusive to begin with?

* Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.

I don't think this will be very effective beyond the officers. Counselors need to be trained to handle mental issues as well as identifying the crazies.

* Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.

Definitely.

* Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.

Not sure how I feel about this.

This is a joke.... Plain and simple the federal government needs to stay the F*** out of everything. Liberty and Freedom do not mix well with government rules & regulations. Stop thinking government is going to help us. They are in it for there own good.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Makes me wanna go gun and ammo shopping. Again.

Rights are not gifts from the government. The right to keep and bear arms is not theirs to take away. And they are way out of line trying to tell people how many rounds of ammo they can carry in their guns. George Washington would have someone shot if he were alive today.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    1-23 should already be in place. There's no excuse for any of those items to need to be at the point of implementation.

The rest under "push for congress" - all gun grab options that have been tried and/or proposed time and time again in order to strip us all of 2A.

* Require criminal background checks for all gun sales. <-- already done for FFLs, as for private, that is a state issue and they have no right to reach in.
    * Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system. <-- EO, 'nuff said
    * Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban. <-- See Columbine & Sandy Hook, ban in place and these were not prevented
    * Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines. <-- 10rders great for bench rest shooting and dragging through brush, but not really solving a crime problem
    * Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets. <--- when was this an issue and why is it thrown in here again?
    * Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime. <-- they enforce the law with authority, how many more tools do they need?
    * End the freeze on gun violence research. <-- ?
    * Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans. <-- sounds like school/local district issue
    * Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need. <-- how? Let's hear specifics.
    * Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits. <-- Obamacare didn't take this into account?

Most of this stuff sounds like fluff, which I think we should be glad about (when have govt ever followed through on what they say they'll do for programs? And they all go to feces anyway when run by the govt).

The glaring overreach I'm concerned about is registration/background for private state sales, AWB and mag capacity limits. They can have all the other stuff (caveat: they can have all the other stuff as they are written in this list. I can see it going like Pelosi said "but we have to pass the bill to see what's in it") :mad:

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    The orders to Congress now become the specific points in letters to our congressmen and senators. The growing feeling is that the AWB, mag restrictions, etc won't pass Congress. Lets make sure of that by telling our representatives to oppose every one of Obama's suggestions.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    * Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.
    Well, looks like the gun prices won't be coming down anytime soon

* Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.
    I better go buy a few more M&P 17 round mags for my pistol while I can get them just in case. I've been saying I wanted to for a while anyways, so I guess this is the kick in the ass that I need to make it happen lol

* Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.
    Like?

* End the freeze on gun violence research.
    What freeze? I'm always hearing about new stats coming out.

* Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.
    Soooo....he's agreeing with the NRA? *GASP*!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Apparently item 6 prepossess back ground checks will be required for all private sales, and they are suggesting this needs to be done at an FFL (gun shop et al). I don't see how this is going to work. It's hard enough now to get out of state transfers done, I can only imagine how it would be if, on a local private sale, you needed to coordinated with an FFL, and the buyer/seller for all to be at the shop at predetermined time (appointment?)

I hope the legislators think this trough.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Ok, educate me-what's wrong with gun locks? I'm not a fan of either if you only have one or two guns and their primary use is home defense, but I always saw them both as doing the same thing and being just as slow to get your gun in an emergency.

GRAYWOLF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    One possible (however unlikely) positive outcome could be a requirement that all firearms sales at gunshows require a background check (with no other reals changes to the current system).

Positive possible outcome:
    Single background check provided by the show (rather than individual dealers). The current system does not identify if you actually purchased the gun, but it does provide a starting point to research your purchase by sending them to the dealer who ran you. One done by the show host removes that link.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Apparently item 6 prepossess back ground checks will be required for all private sales, and they are suggesting this needs to be done at an FFL (gun shop et al). I don't see how this is going to work. It's hard enough now to get out of state transfers done, I can only imagine how it would be if, on a local private sale, you needed to coordinated with an FFL, and the buyer/seller for all to be at the shop at predetermined time (appointment?)

I hope the legislators think this trough.
    The only way I could see it working and not kill the FTF market, is if they had us do a background check every year or every few years, and then you either hold a photo-id that says you are good to go, or you have it added to your drivers license kinda like how you can have "Disabled Vet" or different classes added to your drivers licence. But even there, the only way to enforce that it was used would be to require BOS's which would require registration, so I don't see them realistically being able to do anything about it. I mean, without them having gun registration, they can set all the laws they want for FTF background checks, but they'll never know if you did it unless they start doing sting operations. Which would just be a huge wast of time and effort for the police, in my opinion.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Ok, educate me-what's wrong with gun locks? I'm not a fan of either if you only have one or two guns and their primary use is home defense, but I always saw them both as doing the same thing and being just as slow to get your gun in an emergency.

I'm not a fan of putting things on a trigger of a loaded firearm.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    One possible (however unlikely) positive outcome could be a requirement that all firearms sales at gunshows require a background check (with no other reals changes to the current system).

Single background check provided by the show (rather than individual dealers). The current system does not identify if you actually purchased the gun, but it does provide a starting point to research your purchase by sending them to the dealer who ran you. One done by the show host removes that link.
    I've never bought a gun at a gun show or been around for a purchase, but don't they already have individual sellers at gun shows run background checks?

Digi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    You all are missing the most important part of his speech. The part where he says the good of the society is more important than your individual rights and liberties.

Cue. Hitler/Stalin.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    I've never bought a gun at a gun show or been around for a purchase, but don't they already have individual sellers at gun shows run background checks?

Yup, any FFL business at a gun show is required to check as if he was selling in his own store. That gunshow loophole is total idiocy at its finest. What they MEAN is they don't like private sales without background checks. And since at gun shows (at least in Texas) it's legal for you to bring a firearm to sell privately to another patron, they just called it that. They just make it look as if gun shows are just a giant assembly of evil gun owners doing bad things, like selling firearms...

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    That's retarded. I heard of people doing that at gunshows, but I always heard it more of something they do in the parking lot, or people will meet up afterwards at a different location for the transaction.

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX

GRAYWOLF, you are wrong, it is NOT ok to have to provide the data needed todo the background check to the show organizer. Piss your rights away if
    you want, but leave mine alone.

How would this work anyway??

Would there be a background check when you pay your entry fee, think of how long it would take just to get into the show.

Does the show host give you a hand stamp or some card to show to the seller?

Who enforces this?

What if you do not pass the check, are you not allowed into the show?

What if you have no intention to buy a gun at the show?

What is to stop the buyer/seller from meeting at the show, but walking
    outside to the street to do the transaction?

....etc...

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    You all are missing the most important part of his speech. The part where he says the good of the society is more important than your individual rights and liberties.

Cue. Hitler/Stalin.

I had meetings all morning at work and was unable to watch it live.

I bet the sheeple will lap that bit up and ask for more.

Top Bottom