• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Any advice as far as rifle, scope, and spotting scope, also caliber. I would like to buy and not have to buy again for a while. At the same time I also do not want something too professional. No 1100 yard elk hunts for me.

I've read threads regarding caliber for north america, 30-06 is the choice so far. Now I am researching rifle brand etc. etc.
    06 is a good choice, or a 308 or a 25-06 or a 7mm-08 or a host of other calibers. But I'd go with the 30-06 or the 308. I'd say a 3x9x40 Nikon or Leopold scope, if you're not shooting at 500 yards I'd say don't waste money on the spotting scope. If you're ever around the Austin area (Cedar Park) let me know and I'll let you shoot my 30-06. Good luck man.
    Capitol Armory ad

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    30-06 or 7mm would be my choice UNLESS you plan on going for Nilgai as well. If that is the case I might go with a 300wm (my all around rifle anymore) and just drop down to a 150 grain for deer and such.Plenty of Nilgai have been dropped with the 30-06 and 7mag but I like that little extra.300wm has you covered for anything up to and including bear. Just my 1/2 a cent....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My personal favorite is a 7 mag w/Burris 50 mm optic w/4-10 magnification (or mebbe it's 4-12). 50 mm optics give you outstandin' light-gathering, and Burris makes an outstandin' scope for the money IMO. Make? Remington 700 for me, either ADL or BDL dependin' on your personal taste, but the ADL will do the job AND be less expensive.
    With a 7 mag, there's not a game animal in the America's that I'd be reluctant to go after. Having taken game w/it at a tad over 600 yards, I'm quite confident it's as accurate as I can ever hope to be.
    Now, if you said "what TWO", then my second would have to be a Model 788 in .243 - one of the best, and most under-rated rifles ever produced IMO. I've been known to take called shots on white tail at 300 yards with it.
    Next choice would be a 22-250, again a 700 either ADL or BDL with the same scope - one of the sweetest varmint rifles I've ever owned - and I've taken up to 200-lb deer with it - but ya wanna be spot-on with shot placement, because it ain't a real big round.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    The 270 and 30-06 are great choices to start out with, tons of good factory loads, ammo available everywhere. I tend to steer new riflemen away from the mags until they really learn how to shoot a rifle. The report can be a little scary to new shooters and the last thing you want to develop is a flinch off the bat. they are hard to get rid of. Buy quality optics, they are just as important as the rifle. My combo's are pretty straight forward, Remington 700's, Leupold scopes. Cant miss.

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Grandfather and Dad taught me how to hunt, stalk, track, trail, snare, trap, tell the age of spoor, tracks, rubs, bedding areas, scrapes, etc. How to train dogs for hunting (REALLY helped when wife started HRD-Human Remains Detection) training for our Bloodhound - Brutal. GOTTA listen to your dog, and patience patience patience.

Both were consumate outdoorsmen, fishing, hunting, shooting...hell we used to throw home-made TOMAHAWKS at a huge piece of Cedar...about 4 ft diameter, and about 12 inches thick. And I learned it all....fishing, bow hunting, rifle, pistol, black powder, etc.

Both MARINE veterans, TEXANS, and PROUD.

I truly believe I was able to learn ALOT of "lost arts", and am currently passing them all down to my two boys.

At 14 years old I had shot and hunted well before then, but became the actual OWNER of:

First rifle...Marlin 30-30 lever action, open sight and .45 Hawkins black powder rifle. Once I had those conquered...they bought me a Leopold 3x9 scope for the Marlin.

First Pistol...1836 Navy .36 blackpowder revolver...they made me load it, cap it, fire it...once I became proficient, and had actually taken a deer with it....I got a .38 Super semi-auto...and I still have ALL my guns, plus some family heirlooms.

redfred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    La Porte
    My dad started taking my brother and me hunting when I was about 8. My first guns were a .22 single shot rifle and a .410 single shot shotgun. I still have them both 47 years later. I started with a BB gun, but the first time I shot a sparrow, my dad let me know that unless I was planning to eat it, I was just being wasteful. Now I won't say I never shot anything I wasn't planning to eat, but I did learn to appreciate animals' lives. We used to hunt doves and deer together (Want a challenge? Try wingshooting doves at age 9 with a single shot .410!), and safety, sportsmanship, and appreciation of the animals' lives were the main lessons I learned. I was always impressed with how quietly Dad could walk through the woods. At over 200 pounds, he could move through heavy brush without a sound, and as a 50 pound kid, I made as much noise as a Sherman tank.
    Dad's been gone lots of years now, and I still miss him. But he taught me shooting skills, hunting and tracking, and a general appreciation for the animals we hunt. After he died, I put all my guns in a closet and rarely hunted for over 25 years. But a couple of years ago, I went deer hunting and shot a 7 point buck, and that sort of "lit the fire" again. Now, I go out into the woods chasing the elusive doves and deer, and with my old shotgun or Winchester in my hands, it's like Dad's there with me again. And he still walks more quietly than I do.
    Now, for a practical answer to your hunting gun needs. It's hard to beat a .30-06 for just about any game in North America. You can get ammo in lots of weights and bullet types, and you can go after anything from ground squirrels to buffalo. My brother in law has a Remington 700 bolt action with a 3x9 scope, and he's shot everything from coyotes to bears with it. I'm a lot more old fashioned. I still shoot my Winchester .30-30 that I've had for 40 years, and this year I plan to hunt with either my 8mm Mauser or .303 British Enfield. Now that I think about it, most of my guns are older than I am. (Hopefully they're in better shape) :)
    Whatever you buy, remember to take it to the range and practice, and as deer season gets closer, it's a good idea to practice wearing the same coat that you'll hunt in, so you get used to the feel. Happy hunting!

watchale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    tx
    who taught me to hunt?

Red rider bb gun & my dad. I killed so many birds with that bb gun. I think I was outside hunting crows everyday. I even got some tactical practice with that bb gun. Well now it would be called tactical, back then it was called, "cowboys & indians". Man, I miss those days.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Dang it now I want to go hunting, y'all got me all worked up now

Than lets get started

Do you need hunters ed? If so, start working on that first. This is my first season and it all started when some friends wanted to do a group hunter's ed course.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    My dad and godfather. When I was big enough to drag a gun around, I was ready. Hunting dove, quail, turkey, deer just seemed like what normal 7 year olds did. Of course I remember going to learn years before I could hunt myself.

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    Two of my paternal uncles and my maternal Grandfather.
    My Grandfather was the storied hunter that would go out and always come back with a deer or hog. Growing up, his family was of very meager means. He learned and perfected his craft of hunting. I sure do miss him. I hunted with him until my mid 20's.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I pretty much picked up the stuff from being around it. Never had much one on one hunting. Sportsmanship is a fire thats fueled by desire. All men can hunt, its in our nature. Some of us just live it a little more than others. My favorite is wing hunting, althow I haven't been doing much. I like to move around and shoot a lot. Working the dogs is part of the fun. I remember the first time I had a dog bring a bird back to me.That was the start of a wonderful experiance.
    For me, a good bird hunter learns from the dog that leads him.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Well, can't say I've really been taught. I've been wanting to for a while, then got to go out for my first time last week (Thurs). Buddy has some land and invited me out on Wed/Thurs for Dove hunting. Had the gun, but had to scramble Wed to get a license (had to do deferred, so I still have to get my hunter ed course in). We didn't have much action - my buddy got one and the only other one we saw, I took a couple shots at, but didn't get it.

Really want to get out some more this year and want to hunt anything. Soooo..... if anybody in the Austin area goes out and would like to help a newbie enjoy hunting (safe gun handling habits already instilled), feel free to send me an invite :)

Anyways, at almost 40 yrs old, it's a late start. But...better late than never. Since I don't have a bunch of friends with land to hunt on, I've been reading up on public hunting lands and thinking about getting the public hunting permit. Anybody know if the public hunting areas around Austin are decent.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i pretty much taught my self
    there really isnt anything to it. i have found that you dont need really any of the expensive gear for a good hunt, just a decent gun and some paitence. during deer season you will need a jacket aswell. but ive never used calls, scents, traps, or any of the other crazy equipment academy wants you to buy. if you shoot dove or quail go practice with some skeet, if you shoot deer or any other land animal get some target practice in.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    i pretty much taught my self
    there really isnt anything to it. i have found that you dont need really any of the expensive gear for a good hunt, just a decent gun and some paitence. during deer season you will need a jacket aswell. but ive never used calls, scents, traps, or any of the other crazy equipment academy wants you to buy. if you shoot dove or quail go practice with some skeet, if you shoot deer or any other land animal get some target practice in.

The only sents I use are for training my dogs.
    Funny Story...............
    When I lived in South Lousiana, during deer season all the guys I worked with who hunted would not bath with soap, shave , or wear cloths that were wased with soap.
    P...UUUUUU!!!
    I think the damn deer could smell em comming and hide!!

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    The only sents I use are for training my dogs.
    Funny Story...............
    When I lived in South Lousiana, during deer season all the guys I worked with who hunted would not bath with soap, shave , or wear cloths that were wased with soap.
    P...UUUUUU!!!
    I think the damn deer could smell em comming and hide!!
    i got one worse than that, last year i was in a stand with a buddy of mine who hasnt done any real hunting and he bought this deer piss stuff that sprayed like a axe spray can, well anyways some how it busted in his bag and we had to leave. the whole area we were n smelled of that stuff for 3 days.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I learned from a buddy of mine while stationed at Ft. Hood. My dad is a Veitnam vet and never liked to be around guns. After I got out of the house I bought all kinds of rifles and pistols. When I got to my duty station I started hanging out with my buddy Wes and we got a lease not too far from post. He taught me what I needed to know, how to set up and whatnot, and what to do before and after the shot. The rest I have taught myself by trial and error over the years.

Top Bottom