• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    The 40 kinda splits the difference between the 9mm and 45.

You get the gun size and capacity closer to the 9mm with stopping power that is closer to the 45.

Really...with 15rds of 40 in my Glock 22...man...I feel covered. I do carry extra mags in my house and truck but if 15rds of 40 cannot get me far from the trouble or totally out of it....chances are no pistol will and I am room temperature! LOL

If you ask me, its the "just right" caliber. Pefect for defensive carry.

- brickboy240
    Military Camp

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't really consider the 40 to be "in between" a 9mm and .45 auto. The .45 is a lower pressure round (hence the stinking huge cartridge), while the 9mm is a higher pressure. The .40 is, again a high pressure round that is simply a spin-off of the 10mm.

I've been told, the 40 shoots snappier than the 45, which is more of a push (haven't shot a 45, don't own one (yet), and no one I know does.)

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I don't really consider the 40 to be "in between" a 9mm and .45 auto. The .45 is a lower pressure round (hence the stinking huge cartridge), while the 9mm is a higher pressure. The .40 is, again a high pressure round that is simply a spin-off of the 10mm.

I've been told, the 40 shoots snappier than the 45, which is more of a push (haven't shot a 45, don't own one (yet), and no one I know does.)

It depends on the pistol... the 40 round recoils back into your wrist with minimal muzzle flip... the .45 is slower and so there isn't the felt recoil in your wrist but because of the excess gas that is expelled with the .45 the muzzle flip is magnified...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It depends on the pistol... the 40 round recoils back into your wrist with minimal muzzle flip... the .45 is slower and so there isn't the felt recoil in your wrist but because of the excess gas that is expelled with the .45 the muzzle flip is magnified...

My experience is that .40 has more muzzle flip.

I can maintain better groupings with double taps with a .45

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    My reason might be kinda dumb, but 40 makes sense to me for CCW due to the fact that CCW weapons are by definition "smaller" than one you could carry out in the open. And probably the most powerful round that a broad section of people could handle out of one of these small frames is 40.
    Yeah, there are some 7 foot tall big burly lumberjack guys who are perfectly content to CCW a 50 cal or something, and a few skinny little "taco bell dog" looking dudes who could never handle anything above 32. But for the most part, in my opinion - the 40 seems to be the round that is easily manageble by a larger number of people.

If we ever went to free open carry though - you can bet your a** I'll have my 45 strapped on.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I think a 1911 would be more comfortable than my Glock. Much thinner, seems great for IWB.

Yes it would. When I purchased my 1911 Kimber Ultra CDP (.45) my intention was to switch back and forth between it and my Glock G27. After carrying the Kimber for a couple of months now I don't see the Glock coming out of the safe unless I plan to carry while crawling around in the mud or other places I would not want to subject my Kimber to.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yes it would. When I purchased my 1911 Kimber Ultra CDP (.45) my intention was to switch back and forth between it and my Glock G27. After carrying the Kimber for a couple of months now I don't see the Glock coming out of the safe unless I plan to carry while crawling around in the mud or other places I would not want to subject my Kimber to.

That's what I'm thinking. As soon as Shorts gets my holsters done, I'm going to tote my CBOB and see how it works out, It's a bit heavier than my current HK P2000, but slimmer in the grip and slide.

As far as recoil, .40 vs .45 I think a lot has to do with the gun. 1911's tend to be heavier than poly frame guns and that effects the perceived recoil quite a bit. I feel way more recoil from my P2000 .40 at 21 oz vs Springfield full sized 1911 at over 40 oz.

shellshook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    While I carry a .45, I have a XD40's in 3", 4", and 5". I would not feel under armed with a .40 for a personal defense pistol round. I have shot several thousand rounds in each and satisfied with the .40's useability as a viable self defense caliber. I will always keep a .40 as "another option" because of availability of the ammo.

It is a little snappy in the short barrel and high velocity, but easily controllable.
    One shot stops data shows it effective (high 80's-low 90% one shot stops).
    Ballistics are excellent compared with most other pistol rounds.
    Availability....it's readily available, much easier to find than .45.
    Multiple choices in loads and bullet types, many options available.
    Many LE and agencies use it, helps hold the cost down.
    Easily reloadable. Brass and bullets are easy to come by.
    Most manufacturers make readily available, reliable pistols in .40 caliber. (not like a .50 XYZKJXBMT kinda round)

It's a good round. I can think of nothing negative about a .40. It shoots as good as you do and will be useful for PD. Good luck with your decision.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    While I carry a .45, I have a XD40's in 3", 4", and 5". I would not feel under armed with a .40 for a personal defense pistol round. I have shot several thousand rounds in each and satisfied with the .40's useability as a viable self defense caliber. I will always keep a .40 as "another option" because of availability of the ammo.

It is a little snappy in the short barrel and high velocity, but easily controllable.
    One shot stops data shows it effective (high 80's-low 90% one shot stops).
    Ballistics are excellent compared with most other pistol rounds.
    Availability....it's readily available, much easier to find than .45.
    Multiple choices in loads and bullet types, many options available.
    Many LE and agencies use it, helps hold the cost down.
    Easily reloadable. Brass and bullets are easy to come by.
    Most manufacturers make readily available, reliable pistols in .40 caliber. (not like a .50 XYZKJXBMT kinda round)

It's a good round. I can think of nothing negative about a .40. It shoots as good as you do and will be useful for PD. Good luck with your decision.

I have just one bone to pick with your assesment.

One shot stops

The whole idea of a one stop shot "studies" are a joke. There is no reason to shoot once. Even good, center of mass shots, don't stop a bad guy immediately. If isn't stopped, why stop shooting? Two holes are better than one. We have all heard stories about shootings where a bad guy was shot with 10, 20, 40, or 60 rounds. Now, granted one of the cases has 9 police officers shooting at him (I am perfectly fine with police killing bad guys who murder and rape. It doesn't bother me if they killed him with one shot or 100 shots. The end result is still the same.)

What I am saying is that a one stop shot senario may not be the best way to evaluate a caliber, and that the "studies" are usually inaccurate and biased.

Shriker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Why .40?

Good power and size compromize between 9mm and .45ACP

With the best modern ammo available these days there is really very little difference between the three. ....45 still the best .40 next and then 9mm but again the "window of confidence" covering them is such that the advantage in cost and capacity and ease of shooting as well as availability all favor the 9mm, especially for a concealed handgun. The best 9mm stuff is right there with really good .40 and .45 rounds.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The best 9mm stuff is right there with really good .40 and .45 rounds.

I don't agree....but there's no sense wakin' THAT horse up again.:banghead:

Most folks generally will tell ya I shoot what I like. Outta 40-sumthin' handguns, ONE is a 9mm - and only because a buddy was carrying it the day he was killed.

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I'm with TexasRedneck on this (except for the 40-sumthin' handguns - I don't have THAT kind of money!). Any caliber that starts with anything less than a "4" is for recreational shooting!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm with TexasRedneck on this (except for the 40-sumthin' handguns - I don't have THAT kind of money!). Any caliber that starts with anything less than a "4" is for recreational shooting!

Any more of that crap, and I'll start to beat some dust. . . . the horse has been dead and beat so much and so LONG ago he's turned to dust.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom