• Cost Savings

Votes: 66 52.8%
    • Accuracy improvement

Votes: 55 44.0%
    • To understand more about my weapon

Votes: 29 23.2%
    • So that when the revolution comes I can have all the ammo I need

Votes: 28 22.4%
    • So that when the zombies attach I can survive and have all the ammo I need

Votes: 23 18.4%
    • Dont know why, never thought about it

Votes: 2 1.6%
    • All of the above!

Votes: 38 30.4%
    • None of the above

Votes: 6 4.8%
    • I dont reload ammo

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Just because it's a good productive hobby. As well, you can custom tailor your rounds for that specific weapon. Since i've started reloading. The only semi-auto weapons I own are pistols, even then there are a few contenders, encores, and revolvers. But with a single or bolt action rifle, you wouldnt believe what kind or difference you can make with custom reloading. My Remington 700 .308 has a lot of free-bore before the lands and as a result, my loads look like miniature Lapua mags.
    Also, for odd-ball rifles, you can make them amazing. I have a savage 840 in .30-30, it's a bolt action .30-30. As everyone knows, no factory ammunition comes in a pointed tipped .30-30 because of the safety concerns with tubular magazines. But with a box magazine, I can load up 125 grain nosler ballistic tips to higher velocities and make a .30-30 a 300+ yard rifle.

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got into reloading cause my father did it. He got into it cause he bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk when he was 17 and then found out what 44 Mag ammo cost so he got a Lee Loader and its all been down hill from there. We now have both a Dillon and a Hornady progressive, 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers, 3 cheap single stage presses we use for swagging primer pockets and other mics operations, a Mec 9000 in 12 and 20 and a Mec Jr in 10 and 410, not nearly enough primers and powder and bullets to satisfy our cravings though. We load for 2 dozen or more different calibers, most current but some defunct. Most importantly it give me and my father something to do that relaxes us and spend quality father son time together(when we both manage to get into the reloading room at the same time.) But I am currently loading 45 ACP for $13 per hundred!!

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    The main reason was because I got tired of going to the stores and being told:sorry we are out.2nd reason,cost,3rd reason I'm retired and have all the time in the world.It fills up my hours,besides its fun. sj

Dragonheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Katy
    I have been reloading for over 40 years. I got into it as a kid so I could shoot more and save money. Now I reload to get the most accuracy I can out of a firearm or to make a defensive round better than I can buy commercially or to tailor a light load for a new shooter to target practice. Reloading gives you the option of making ammunition the way you want it.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    The tailoring is the main thing, here's just a sample of what you can do with reloading to increase the accuracy of each rifle. The rounds on the left of each comparison are hand loaded, while the ones on the right of each pair is a factory load for comparison. Both hand-loads are for Remington 700's, one in .308 win. and the other in .22-250 rem. in my experience, with the free-bore of remington 700's, the bullets have to be seated taller than what the factory standards allow. The result turns 1.5" groups int the .308 down to .65". The groups from the .22-250 went from .89" down to a pretty little clover of .35."

Of course when doing this you CANNOT use them in any other rifle. Insufficient space from lands to ogive could cause some serious pressure problems.

View attachment 3392

Gungle George

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I got started when I was 13 or 14 back in the 60's. We loved to dove and quail hunt but at that age (and now) it takes a lot of ammo. I friend had a Pacifc 12 ga single stage press. We loaded after school every day during the season and my friends Dad would load us up Saturday and Sundays for a day in the fields trying to get a limit of dove. Paper cases, Alcan card wads with 40lbs of top pressure and recycled shot, man those were the days.

I still have the old press along with a few more. I rarely buy new ammo, mostly to get new shot shell hulls or new brass to load. I enjoy an evening in the loading room tinkering around with all the machines, loads, swilling a few beers and listening to KHYI-FM (from Dallas) on the internet.

Cheers,

George

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I got started about 6 years ago when I was Cowboy Action shooting. I was shooting several thousand rounds of 45 Colt a week and bought a Dillon 650 to help me keep up. Then I purchased a RCBS Rockchucker and started tailoring handloads for my .308 and .22-250. I don't save money, but the tailored loads shoot amazingly small groups, and I have enough components to last for years if the unthinkable happens.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    When I first started reloading it was because no commercial loads were available for the round I shot. It was the 22-250 also called the 22 varminter. Of course, they have now offered the loaded round for several years.

Also when I started "Bench Rest" shooting, no loaded rounds were available for the 6ppc and I don't think they are now either.

I have done wildcat rounds is another reason for my reloading. Things such as a 30 Fat Albert (I doubt any of you are famaliar with this round) and I have even experimented in pulling bullets from 22 long rifle and necking the case down to 17 cal (Many years ago) for shooting in Rimfire Benchrest.

Just a few reasons! Besides, it's fun and I have total control of what I shoot!

Brad

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    The other, I found out afterward is that for me, reloading is therapeutic. The whole process calms and relaxes, gives my mind something else to focus my mental energy.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I can go into the garage and sit in front of my 550B and start doing a run of reloads and it is the rare occasion that I don't get up from it in a better mood than when I started. It's much the same when I wrench on one of my motorcycles.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I really enjoy shooting and the challenge of improving my skills and so reloading just seems such a natural extension of the hobby. I was an avid shooter decades ago and I reloaded then, and the plan always was to set up to reload again when I got back into shooting a few years back after many years away from it.

Now, as it was back then, hypothesizing about a load and then trying it out in different weapons to see how it shoots, or just sitting in front of the press cranking out 9mm or .45acp ammo is relaxing and keeps me focused, and regardless of whether or not there is commercial ammo available, I always have enough quality ammo for a trip to the range.

JustaPhule

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Greenville, TX
    Odd ball calibers. Factory loaded .338 spectre is a mite high. It also lets me play with getting the sub-sonic stuff tuned for my set-up. If you want frustrating start developing quiet loads, it's exciting to know that you had better do it right or you will have an IED go off in your face-and it was your own fault. It does teach one to be responsible for their own actions.

Smokewagon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    West Texas
    I said all of the above, but cost is #1. I shoot weekly, and if I didn't reload, I'd have to give up something else or not go at all. Gee, I enjoy reloading almost as much as I do shooting. I said almost.

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    Voted for cost savings. In reality though, who are we kidding. Unless a LOT of reloading is done, its hard to recover the cost of all the reload toys to the point that a positive net gain is seen. I think in truth the main reason most reload is to have the satisfaction of doing it and the relaxation that comes while doing it. Besides all that its just fun to experiment.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I reload for several reasons, but mainly because I enjoy doing it. The Cost is also a factor in the savings over factory ammo. My neighbor has a Dillon and can turn out cartridges like fast but even though I have a good expensive turret press, I use a Lee turret press and if I have time on my hands I even load a few like they did 100 years ago with a Lyman 310 tool, a pliers like device that's a slow process but sort of reminds me of our forefathers cooking out rather than on an electric range. The name of the game is being careful, paying attention to what you are doing, no smoking (I don't smoke), no reloading under the influence of Mr Jim Beam or Mr Budweiser, and doggone careful attention to accurate, specified powder charges staying away from MAXIMUM LOADS.....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom