DK Firearms

why does Academy want me to come in about my paperwork for a gun i bought months ago

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    i got a letter today from academy ,,they want me to come in and provide them with a certification date for the beretta i bought several months ago ...what the hell are they talking about ?
    Capitol Armory ad

Barry Green

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    When you fill out a 4473 form, you sign and date it on the top of page 2. I think the date section is actually labeled "certification date", as in, it's the date that you certified that everything on the form was correct.

Perhaps they are saying that when you filled out the 4473 you didn't date it?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Call the store manager and ask. Easy, find out the answers to your questions. If you like their answer, go in and do what they ask, if you don't tell them and not to bother you anymore about it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Someone screwed up the paperwork. Probably left something off and just found it looking over their book keeping in an audit or random check.

I don't know what the law is on something like that as to what you are legally required to do. It sounds like you'd be doing them a favor if you took time out to help them figure out when you bought that firearm.

Here's a pdf of the 4473: http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
    Notice the fine print on the second page. Read through that and see if it clues you in on what you should do.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Re: academy

The ATF audits all FFL dealers all the time or an internal audit caught a mistake. Not your problem either way. Call and ask them whats up to see how much bs they tell you then tell them how much it is going to cost you in fuel and time off work for their mistake. Might score some ammo.

Driller

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought a vehicle and the Credit Union mistakenly sent the clean title back to me. It was obviously a mistake but I did nothing wrong. The credit union lady called me and demanded that I bring the title to her immediately. I told her I would return the document but that I was busy and it would take a day or two before I could bring it to her......22 mile round trip. I was working 80+ hours per week and that's all I could do.

She got snotty and said that she would kill the title and apply for a new one. I got rude. I gave her two choices: If she needed it right this minute, then get your ass in the car and come get it. If she would wait a day or two, I would bring it to her. She chose the latter and that's exactly what I did.

I'll try to help a vendor and have even returned to a store to fix a problem on a 4473. If they get ugly about it, I'll slam their dxck in the door!

I'd call them and see what kind of attitude they have. If it's ugly, tell them to F off.

Flash

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Got the call from my LGS a while back.

SN and Name on the paperwork didn't match on two 4473s. My name was on another customer's gun paperwork and vice-versa.
    It was a simple fix, but they had to verify it.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    The store made a mistake. Golden rule and all that, what would you want done if the mistake was on your part and you needed help fixing it?

^^This. There are enough assholes in the world already. It bothers me when folks are shitty, just because they can be. Call em and see what it's about and deal with it accordingly. Rack up the good karma points!

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Re Academy

From what I have heard and seen, those ATF inspectors can be real butts. There is no room for errors. Academy knows this. My neighbor who is an FFL dealer was leaving one night to take his wife out for their anniversary dinner when guess who drives up for a spot inspection.....yep ATF, and he could care less about some date a decent man and woman were about to go on.

Driller

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Occasionally we will miss something on a 4473. You would be absolutely amazed at what the BATFE considers a write up. It doesn't take many for them to get nasty about it either. No, no skin off your back, but if you were in their shoes, you would want someone to come back and correct a paperwork error...

Do what you would want done if it were you....as others have said.

BATFE requires Academy try......We have sent a certified letter to a former customer because he ignored our requests. He still ignored that one too...but at least we had proof of trying to correct it.......

jmho.....

Top Bottom