DK Firearms

why does Academy want me to come in about my paperwork for a gun i bought months ago

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    why does Academy want me to come in about my paperwork for a gun i bought mont

The BATFE is only allowed to inspect during the listed business hours of the FFL.

9ymy5ana.jpg

Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    went in and had to initial a correction i made on the date ..apparently writing in military format (example 19 jun 13 ) is unacceptable and if you line it out it needs to be initialed ...i did explain that this was their mistake for not telling me this and i had to use up gas to come in and fix this and i would really like a gift card or a discount on the purchase of a light for my bed gun ..sadly this didnt happen

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

went in and had to initial a correction i made on the date ..apparently writing in military format (example 19 jun 13 ) is unacceptable and if you line it out it needs to be initialed ...i did explain that this was their mistake for not telling me this and i had to use up gas to come in and fix this and i would really like a gift card or a discount on the purchase of a light for my bed gun ..sadly this didnt happen

Actually, I believe the date format they want is on the for.

Maybe I'm mistaken.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    From what I have heard and seen, those ATF inspectors can be real butts. There is no room for errors. Academy knows this. My neighbor who is an FFL dealer was leaving one night to take his wife out for their anniversary dinner when guess who drives up for a spot inspection.....yep ATF, and he could care less about some date a decent man and woman were about to go on.

Driller

All mine have been cool and friendly. They call ahead to make sure I will be there and we setup a time. I actually wish they would come on a regular schedule so I could keep up with what is going on, I learn quite a bit from talking to them about the latest developments.

With that said, when I got my FFL I made some rookie mistakes. Fortunately I self-audited and caught them, but one after customer left premises. I sent letter to customer, he signed what needed to be signed, sent it back. I made it as easy as possible with explanation, sticky where to sign, and SASE to send it back.

I suggest you go in and find out what it is about, and help them out.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    i did explain that this was their mistake for not telling me this and i had to use up gas to come in and fix this and i would really like a gift card or a discount on the purchase of a light for my bed gun ..sadly this didnt happen

The form has instructions for the buyer. If you failed to read those it is your mistake.

With that said, I am unaware of any requirement the date be in a certain format.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

Unless I thinks it's going to cost someone a job, I usually let them deal with their own mistakes. If it means me making a special trip.

I went to a Wendy's once, and paid with a 10 dollar bill, she handed me 8 dollars back (an extra 5).
    So I looked at it told her this is the wrong change, and gave it back. (In Spanish no English for this lady)
    She then proceeded to add another 10 bucks to the change.
    So I handed it back, told her, she neede to give me 3.xx cents in change (in Spanish again). Then she proceeded to put another 10 bucks in the change.

So I gave up.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    went in and had to initial a correction i made on the date ..apparently writing in military format (example 19 jun 13 ) is unacceptable and if you line it out it needs to be initialed ...i did

Oh yeah , one more thing. You committed Federal Perjury doing this. Once again, there are instructions on the form. Errors after the fact can only be corrected on a copy, not the original.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    There are no instructions on the 4473 for the format of the date in the "certification date" section. He didn't commit any perjury, as there was no specification as to what format the date should be written in. Look it up yourself to see; member "Shorts" posted the link to a PDF of the form, here: http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

The portion in question is "certification date", box 17 on page 2.

Or are you saying it's "perjury" because he corrected the original form?

In either case, the store is clearly at fault. He filled in the date, in a legible format, and there were no instructions to the contrary, so if the store thought the date format was wrong they should have pointed it out while he was at the store.

And if the store didn't want him correcting/initialing the date, they should have told him so. There are no instructions on the form that say you can't initial it.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I know for a fact 4473s have been signed and dated using the military format without an issue.

Considering the FFL/seller was Academy, a big box consumer sports & outdoors store, depending on the type of person that was at the counter and who's in charge of the FFL responsibilities, I'm going out on a limb to say Academy got nervous.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    There are no instructions on the 4473 for the format of the date in the "certification date" section..

Yes, stated that in post #32:

With that said, I am unaware of any requirement the date be in a certain format.

He didn't commit any perjury,

Perjury, falsification, whatever. The fact remains, he conspired with FFL to change the document after the fact, and that is a Federal violation. Of course he had no criminal intent (as opposed to changing the name or something) so nobody is going to come after him, but the FFL can certainly be hit with a violation, and many have.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Oh yeah , one more thing. You committed Federal Perjury doing this. Once again, there are instructions on the form. Errors after the fact can only be corrected on a copy, not the original.

He didn't commit federal perjury.

Top Bottom