Venture Surplus ad

Why does Austin have such crappy gun ranges.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 98f150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    I can't stand the crappy gun ranges we have here in Austin. The Red's indoor range in Oak Hill is a terrible place to shoot and the next closest range is miles and miles away. What ever happen to the shooting range on Hamilton pool road.
    Hurley's Gold

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Red's isn't that bad except for the fact that it is indoors. I much prefer an outdoor setting where I don't have to breathe all of the crap and can still hear after I'm done. Austin won't allow anyone to put a range in... and Travis county is just as bad.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Lonestar is a pretty good range IMO, shoot there monthly and have always had great service from them, We drive up from San Antonio to shoot there.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    At least y'all got one ,out here ya have to go to yer lease and this time of year be mighty careful.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Like my friend Dave said, Welcome to the Austin Rifle Club The weekends have matches but during the week nobody is there.
    Range.jpg

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    The Austin Rifle Club is a private range, available to members only. The matches on the weekend allow non-members to shoot the matches, but not to access other ranges. Membership is something like 150 a year.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I remember hearing stories about "Crazy Richard" so I'm kind of glad he's gone.

Eli

Crazy Richard was a real piece of work. It was too bad too because the range was really nice.

The Austin Rifle Club is a private range, available to members only. The matches on the weekend allow non-members to shoot the matches, but not to access other ranges. Membership is something like 150 a year.

Austin Rifle Club is very nice and worth the money. If you shoot once a month for an hour it more than pays for itself.

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    1+ for Lone Star.

Hip draw, rapid fire, friendly staff, cheap rates, what more can you ask for. Plus, you can go to Lockhart to get some BBQ. We hit up that range once a month, if not more!

Rock on

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    I can't stand the crappy gun ranges we have here in Austin. The Red's indoor range in Oak Hill is a terrible place to shoot and the next closest range is miles and miles away. What ever happen to the shooting range on Hamilton pool road.

Please dont say that, Im moving just south of austin next month : /

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    1+ for Lone Star.

Hip draw, rapid fire, friendly staff, cheap rates, what more can you ask for. Plus, you can go to Lockhart to get some BBQ. We hit up that range once a month, if not more!

Rock on

I really like the facilities at Lone Star. I just have had more guns pointed at me in my 2 visits there by range ninjas in full camo and tac gear than I am comfortable with.

For my money and my safety I prefer BOTW and ARC.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I really like the facilities at Lone Star. I just have had more guns pointed at me in my 2 visits there by range ninjas in full camo and tac gear than I am comfortable with.
    Hasn't happened to me, and I've been a member for 3 years. Lone Star is a bit self-Policing, which I really like.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I just hate gun ranges in general, doesn't really matter where they are. I don't like standing next to people with deadly weapons that they hardly know how to use. Same concept as sharing the road with teenage girls... I will say best of the west was the most fun I have had at a range. Being able to do knock downs out to 750 and the owner was there, and pretty cool. he let me shoot prone and was rather relaxed. The cost though is there, it is way up there, and my gas guzzler doesn't help.

Make friends with people with property.. that is what I do. If you know how to build guns, service, w/e find a way to barter. I do ranch work to get access to a small place to hunt whitetail. Step out of your comfort zone, be social, and ASK. :) worst they can say is no thanks. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom