• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Smith and Wesson consider Mass their home. However, with that state's anti-gun laws, I'm no longer buying S&W. Why should my dollar go into the economy of a state that infringes on the rights of it's people?
    I'd rather give a little money to the states that make those laws, than say countries like, China, but do you really know how difficult that would be?

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Owning a Glock for a bit over 2 years is why Iwent back to the plain old fashioned S&W .38 revolver. The Glock was very reliable, it never jammed on me in the time I owned and put over 1,000 rounds through it. It was light weight sort of. It was accurite and Had no trouble shooting a perfect score when I went get my Texas license.

But I just never could bond with that squared off plastic feeling gun that to me felt like crap. I just didn't like it. I'm sure Iowuld live longer eating tofu and seaweed and drinking purified water. But I like a nice grilled steak and a cold beer. Man does not live by bread alone, and you have to enjoy what you have obit's no good.

I enjoy my S&W revolvers.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Why should my dollar go into the economy of a state that infringes on the 2A rights of it's people?
    I think you are picking the wrong target. S&W and its employees are not infringing on anyone's 2A rights, they are simply located within a state that does and have been for a very long time.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I think you are picking the wrong target. S&W and its employees are not infringing on anyone's 2A rights, they are simply located within a state that does and have been for a very long time.
    I'm sure his point is that they pay taxes, thus funding the state.

One of the reasons I left Colorado, it was satisfying to tell my employer to change my employment state and see that CO income taxes were no longer withheld.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm sure his point is that they pay taxes, thus funding the state.

One of the reasons I left Colorado, it was satisfying to tell my employer to change my employment state and see that CO income taxes were no longer withheld.
    Yep, S&W pays taxes there and so do their employees. Add in all the other expenses to running a company and S&W donates quite a bit to the local economy.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I think it's a bit unrealistic to think that if states pass laws others don't like that companies in that state should uproot and move. Anyone who has made moves can tell you, it's not that easy, and that's only a home, let alone an established business.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I think the only reason that would make Smith leave is if the government there would pass laws making the manufactor of firearms difficult, or near impossible. The idiot Governor in New York and his anti-gun antics come to mind.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I think it's a bit unrealistic to think that if states pass laws others don't like that companies in that state should uproot and move. Anyone who has made moves can tell you, it's not that easy, and that's only a home, let alone an established business.
    True but if it happens enough maybe these states will rethink their stupid laws.

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.

If Beretta and Ruger can do it, why not others?

Tennessee and Arizona gave them some very big tax breaks to make it worth their while.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    S&W is a part of American outdoor brands
    My question was in reference to this quote by you: "S&W is not owned or even a big part of its ownership."

From Wiki: American Outdoor Brands Corporation is an American manufacturer of firearms and outdoor sports and recreation products.[1] It owns 18 brands. Its principal brand is Smith & Wesson firearms.[2]

American Outdoor Brands is a name change from S&W Holdings and is a publicly-traded stock as was S&W Holdings. Your quote above as written made no sense to me and still doesn't.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    At the very least, when they tool up for something new, they could have opened a new plant in less hostile territory... in 2005 when they introduced the M&P series, they could have started building them elsewhere.

That's a good idea & a good way to begin a move.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    A short history of S&W:

Smith & Wesson (S&W) is an American manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and restraints. The corporate headquarters are in Springfield, Massachusetts. Smith & Wesson was founded in 1852 and after various corporate changes is now a unit of American Outdoor Brands Corporation.

In June 1987 Tomkins plc (a british company) paid $112.5 million to purchase Smith & Wesson.

On May 11, 2001, Saf-T-Hammer Corporation acquired Smith & Wesson Corp. from Tomkins plc for US$15 million, a fraction of the US$112 million originally paid by Tomkins.

On February 15, 2002, the name of the newly formed entity was changed to Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation.

In August 2016 the company bought Crimson Trace, a laser-sight manufacturer, for $95 million and Taylor Brands, a tool and knife maker, for $85 million. In November of that same year the company bought UST Brands, a survival equipment maker, for $32.3 million.

On November 7, 2016, Smith & Wesson announced that it would be changing the name of its holding company to American Outdoor Brands Corporation (AOBC).

AOBC is an American manufacturer of firearms and outdoor sports and recreation products. It owns 18 brands. Its principal brand is Smith & Wesson firearms.

In 2017, firearms accounted for 86% of AOBC's revenues, and the company shipped 420,000 long guns.

American Outdoor Brands also owns Battenfeld Technologies (Caldwell Shooting Supplies and others), Taylor Brands (a knife and tool maker bought in August 2016 for $95 million), and Crimson Trace (an electro-optics business which it bought in August 2016 for $85 million).

Source: Wiki pages for S&W and AOBC.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom