Why don't people take the media seriously?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Having never listened to a 'Podcast", I wouldn't know where to begin.

Tip on how to go about it?

Thanks!

Think of a podcast as a radio (or video) broadcast available to listen (or watch) on your phone or computer when you want.

For the Joe Rogan podcast that Ben mentioned, start here:

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/

If your an iPhone user, just open the purple podcasts app and and search for Joe Rogan. It’ll pop up and give you options to listen and/or subscribe.

I don’t know Joe’s release schedule, but many deliver weekly.

3daf920cf25bb6c5b1be692fd98e3799.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    People pay for long-form podcasts. Joe Rogan is moving lots of merch and has lots of financial support via Patreon. Of course, it helps that he had lots of money to begin with. I suspect he's invested a lot to make a little. The point stands, though, that people are willing to shell out money monthly for quality long form journalism.

There are folks making a living from long form podcasts; they're worth exploring.

I’ll take a look at what Joe delivers; most of my podcasts are aviation related.

And you’re right that folks are willing to pay for good long form journalism; I just don’t think long-form journalism fits in the majority of newspaper business models anymore. Those column-inches take up revenue producing space.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks for the good starting guide.
    Joe produces content several times a week and, for his show, a two hour broadcast is short. He frequently records programs approaching 4 hours.

I’ll take a look at what Joe delivers; most of my podcasts are aviation related.
    Joe's wheelhouse is comedy, martial arts, and "general". He tends to put "MMA" in the title of the podcasts on martial arts so I can easily ignore those.

What sets him apart is that he's intently curious about lots of things and will listen to anybody at length just to see if he can learn something. He's had flat-earthers, for example. Later, of course, he's made fun of them because they didn't make their case. He did, however, respectfully give them time and space to do so.

I'm not saying he's right about everything. Some of his gun control stuff, for example, is a strange mix. He's a hunter and generally believes in the 2A but he's no purist. What I am saying is that if he has a guest with interesting thoughts, you'll get to hear those thoughts expounded on at sufficient length that you'll be able to make an informed decision about the subjects presented.

That's valuable. That's what long-form journalism should be.
    And you’re right that folks are willing to pay for good long form journalism; I just don’t think long-form journalism fits in the majority of newspaper business models anymore.
    I agree and I don't care. Newspapers may die and I don't care.

As long as good information is available somewhere accessible (and that's a whole 'nother topic, btw), we can find the good information we need to evolve our thinking in a positive way in accordance with our values.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The decline of journalism correlates directly with the rise of liberalism.
    I'm not so sure anymore, although I will say it was much closer in my younger days. The things I have learned in my later years don't always correlate with how it was given on the news back in my younger days, so I believe it was still agenda driven, it was a bit more subtle you might say.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Having never listened to a 'Podcast", I wouldn't know where to begin.
    toddnjoyce gave a good starting guide. I would like to add a bit to that.

Most podcasts above niche level (and many of those) try to reach as broad an audience as possible. That means they post to YouTube. Yes, YT has political leanings and has knocked down lots of content and producers they don't like. However, it's still the best place to browse around and find new content. Without YT I would have never found:
    • The Joe Rogan Experience at http://podcasts.joerogan.net/
    • The Ben Shapiro Show at The Daily Wire at https://www.dailywire.com/podcasts
    • Jordan Peterson at https://jordanbpeterson.com/ where the home page has links to pretty much every outlet that showcases him.
    • Several fun things that are occasionally informative at https://get.crtv.com/signup/ (I don't pay for this one but enjoy lots of clips on YT) and
    • Innumerable podcasts about Star Trek, Game of Thrones, comic books, etc., all presented by geeks who know more about that stuff than I know about my own life. They'd drive me crazy as a steady diet but they're fun to sample.
    The great thing about podcasts is they're like books on tape. Many are available via satellite radio or over your phone that you plug into your car audio system. They're easy to get over the tablet you may have lying about the house. Basically, you can be learning while you're doing other things, all very conveniently.

There are couple of real downsides, too.
    1. Some podcasts are unlistenably bad even though you know good people are behind them. Massad Ayoob used to have a podcast. I don't know if he still does but the few episodes I've listened to were crap. He used poor quality equipment to make scratchy recordings, often over the phone. He's a lousy interviewer. Put those together and even though I know I could learn from him, I couldn't stomach the way he presents things. Lots of very small, niche podcasts or new podcasts suffer from similar problems. Finding people who present well and engagingly is hard. Finding people with those skills who also have something useful to say is quite rare. They're worth looking for but you gotta kiss a lotta frogs.
    2. I also caution folks to not go too deep down too many rabbit holes. Good podcasts with broad audiences, once you find them, pretty much all want you to pay $5/month for exclusive or early content. You don't have to do that but it's tempting and it can add up fast. Luckily, there are still lots of hobby podcasters out there who do it for the love of their avocation and they don't even bother to ask for money because they know no one will send any. They still manage to put out entertaining content.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Think of a podcast as a radio (or video) broadcast available to listen (or watch) on your phone or computer when you want.

For the Joe Rogan podcast that Ben mentioned, start here:

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/

If your an iPhone user, just open the purple podcasts app and and search for Joe Rogan. It’ll pop up and give you options to listen and/or subscribe.

View attachment 145308

I guess I've been unselected already, no "podcast" button

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I thank all of you for teaching me about podcasts.

As an avid fan of 'audio books' it sounds like "podcasts" will really appeal to me.

...and I'll be patient regarding those who aren't very good at it.

Thanks Again!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Beware - there are many thousands. I hardly listen to the radio anymore when I'm in my car or doing yardwork.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I'm not so sure anymore, although I will say it was much closer in my younger days. The things I have learned in my later years don't always correlate with how it was given on the news back in my younger days, so I believe it was still agenda driven, it was a bit more subtle you might say.

Pretty much agree. Media was not perfect in the 60's. The slant was not anywhere near so blatant, though.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Ah, but where did the rise in liberalism come from? The education system, of course.
    It is a different world today than when I was in school a long time ago.

Liberals went big into media jobs and academia. Perhaps because conservatives tended to go into higher paying jobs.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Liberals went big into media jobs and academia. Perhaps because conservatives tended to go into higher paying jobs.
    Exactly! Many conservatives go into classes like economics and the liberals (I hate calling them that) went into classes like liberal arts.

The radical liberals, which they are leaning more towards the word progressives, of today are much the same as the communists (weather underground) of the sixties and seventies in that their theology is to get their message out no matter what cost.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Biased media and “yellow journalism” - blatant disregard for the truth to increase sales - are nothing new. It’s just easier to see it all, because we have so much info available at our fingertips.

William Randolph Hearst and Joseph Pulitzer are two of the worst culprits, and are largely credited with using the power of the press (which they owned) to start the Spanish-American war... fo not other reason than to sell newspapers.

The term yellow journalism was created because of them

Yes, the same Pulitzer who’s prize goes to responsible journalism. Let that sink in...

Sorta like the Nobel Peace prize, named after an arms dealer and weapons manufacturer who invented TNT...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, you can cross that one off the list. CRTV merged with TheBlaze. They fired Gavin McInnes, and Michelle Malkin quit.

On McInnes, I’m not sure if there is more going on. It recently can out that his PBs actually did instigate the NY fight and since NY is trying to call them a street gang I’m wondering if his recent actions are more about avoiding getting caught in some kind of prosecutorial trap for being the “leader”. IDK.

I’m waiting to see what happens when Crowder comes back at the first of the year to decide if I will be dropping my subscription or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom