• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    That doesn't look like a super strong part of the MCR "Shrike" upper but it also doesn't look any weaker than any other AR type upper. These uppers are only "finicky" to people who don't understand how the AR platform works. Most ARs use standardized parts. Even people who build their own, use mostly standard parts. This makes the whole system relatively forgiving. Then when you introduce anything out of the ordinary like a belt feed system, all of a sudden, it's the guns fault somehow and it is labeled "finicky". Nobody seems to remember that even though standard parts will fit (and find their way into) these rifles, they will not always work. Someone who has no idea what they are doing labels the upper as "finicky" and the story just keeps getting repeated. It took about 10 rounds to set mine up and I have not had a single issue or misfire. The thing shoots from the magazine and runs through belts with no problem.

Nobody is still waiting. I watched the Shrike back in 1997. Back in those days, I didn't have two dimes to rub together. No way I could come up with the deposit. But I watched, and wanted. Nobody got any gun until sometime around 2002 or 2003. That was just the start. It would take years before all the initial depositors got their gun. If I recall, it took til sometime around 2013. That is a long time to have $2K tied up with nothing to show for it. I never put down a deposit, I just ordered and got mine about a year ago.

You can, however, call Ares Defense or one of their distributors, and get one for yourself today with no problem.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for a company to not honor warranty if the product was altered from the original manufactured condition.

I know a bit more than your average person when it comes to gun design and operation. I have also personally fired 5 different Shrike uppers on various lowers over the years including some of the prototype guns down to the recent production guns and they are all finicky. The early ones were extremely problematic and even some of the current production require certain manufacturer of links, or stretched links, feed block fillers to stop damage, etc. There are lengthy threads on many popular forums detailing how various owners a requesting help to get their uppers running and getting advice that is much more than "just shoot it" to get them to work from other current owners.

People on more than one forum have stated they are still waiting for their early deposit guns. Ares has a history of shipping product and not filling their first deposits for orders because they under estimated the cost and were apparently losing money each time they filled the early deposit orders. I do not know these people to verify what they are posting but history seems to have been supporting their allegations. Unless you work for Ares and know otherwise I am not sure how you can dispute their claims.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I know a bit more than your average person when it comes to gun design and operation. I have also personally fired 5 different Shrike uppers on various lowers over the years including some of the prototype guns down to the recent production guns and they are all finicky. The early ones were extremely problematic and even some of the current production require certain manufacturer of links, or stretched links, feed block fillers to stop damage, etc. There are lengthy threads on many popular forums detailing how various owners a requesting help to get their uppers running and getting advice that is much more than "just shoot it" to get them to work from other current owners.

People on more than one forum have stated they are still waiting for their early deposit guns. Ares has a history of shipping product and not filling their first deposits for orders because they under estimated the cost and were apparently losing money each time they filled the early deposit orders. I do not know these people to verify what they are posting but history seems to have been supporting their allegations. Unless you work for Ares and know otherwise I am not sure how you can dispute their claims.

Is it cast or forged? Looks cast.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Nobody is still waiting. I watched the Shrike back in 1997. Back in those days, I didn't have two dimes to rub together. No way I could come up with the deposit. But I watched, and wanted. Nobody got any gun until sometime around 2002 or 2003. That was just the start. It would take years before all the initial depositors got their gun. If I recall, it took til sometime around 2013. That is a long time to have $2K tied up with nothing to show for it. I never put down a deposit, I just ordered and got mine about a year ago.

I know 3 people still waiting. Deposit was $1000 per unit, 25 unit max per order.

As mentioned it was first announced 1998:

Intitial Price was $2495, then $2995, then $3495, and up and up..

Last edited:

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016

Let me take a minute to publicly apologize to you. After going back and re-reading what I wrote, it does seem like I am speaking to you or responding to what you said directly. That was not my intention. I quoted your post in an effort to avoid a little typing on my part. I thought I was wording my responds deliberately and specifically as to not call what you said into question. I would never pass judgement on someone's knowledge or experience based on a single post. I realize that I failed at that and I am sorry. My intention was to express my frustration with others that I have talked to in person and on forums who have no clue and refuse to take advice. Those are the ones who throw up their hands and blame the gun. I was venting in general, not intended at you personally.

I will say that I never said "just shoot it" and all is well. I had to adjust my barrel gas setting and change the weight of my buffer, but I did in fact have it dialed in with 10 rounds fired. Albeit, I had done a lot of research prior to buying my upper.

I was also typing by memory and late at night. I might have gotten the deposit amount wrong but in my defense, it might as well have been a million dollars. I just didn't have the money then. One thousand dollars is the same thing as two thousand dollars to a guy struggling to make a rent payment. I don't have any fancy newspaper clipping or cut and paste to show when I first heard about the Shrike. All I can say is I know where I was living and what job I had when everyone first started talking about the Shrike I was there and it was 1997.

I will still probably keep to a minimum of postings here. This forum seems like people in general want to take a "I have to be right and I have to prove you wrong" attitude. More so then just having a friendly discussion. I try to say if I can't remember but I am not going to spend hours fact checking myself just to have a friendly discussion. Not for me. There may still be a little some of us old guys can teach, but not if it's going to be a knife fight every time I post.

Peace

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    Peace dude. Maybe you could be a little more thick skinned.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You are one of the Moderators, right?

The world is what we choose to make it. I do realize that somehow it is my fault.

Last edited:

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    You are one of the Moderators, right?

The world is what we choose make it. I do realize that somehow it is my fault.

I'm a moderator too and I hope you stay. You seem to have a lot to offer in terms of knowledge, etc. your first few posts came off as a little whiney, but it's ok. You make fair points about some of the problems this site has and we are working on it. Frankly, this site can be a representation of where our country is at sometimes, divided even within similar demographics. But in general, I've met some great people here. Some of my best friends in life were met right here. Come shoot with us sometime and you will agree.

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    I'm a moderator too and I hope you stay. You seem to have a lot to offer in terms of knowledge, etc. your first few posts came off as a little whiney, but it's ok. You make fair points about some of the problems this site has and we are working on it. Frankly, this site can be a representation of where our country is at sometimes, divided even within similar demographics. But in general, I've met some great people here. Some of my best friends in life were met right here. Come shoot with us sometime and you will agree.

I can tell you two things.

1) I try to have a sense of humor about things.
    2) My wife would probably agree that I sound whiny some times.

Peace

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Let me take a minute to publicly apologize to you. After going back and re-reading what I wrote, it does seem like I am speaking to you or responding to what you said directly. That was not my intention. I quoted your post in an effort to avoid a little typing on my part. I thought I was wording my responds deliberately and specifically as to not call what you said into question. I would never pass judgement on someone's knowledge or experience based on a single post. I realize that I failed at that and I am sorry. My intention was to express my frustration with others that I have talked to in person and on forums who have no clue and refuse to take advice. Those are the ones who throw up their hands and blame the gun. I was venting in general, not intended at you personally.

I will say that I never said "just shoot it" and all is well. I had to adjust my barrel gas setting and change the weight of my buffer, but I did in fact have it dialed in with 10 rounds fired. Albeit, I had done a lot of research prior to buying my upper.

I was also typing by memory and late at night. I might have gotten the deposit amount wrong but in my defense, it might as well have been a million dollars. I just didn't have the money then. One thousand dollars is the same thing as two thousand dollars to a guy struggling to make a rent payment. I don't have any fancy newspaper clipping or cut and paste to show when I first heard about the Shrike. All I can say is I know where I was living and what job I had when everyone first started talking about the Shrike I was there and it was 1997.

I will still probably keep to a minimum of postings here. This forum seems like people in general want to take a "I have to be right and I have to prove you wrong" attitude. More so then just having a friendly discussion. I try to say if I can't remember but I am not going to spend hours fact checking myself just to have a friendly discussion. Not for me. There may still be a little some of us old guys can teach, but not if it's going to be a knife fight every time I post.

Peace
    There are some like that in any crowd. Most here are not. Like the man said, come shoot with us. I haven't met anyone at a meet/shoot that I haven't enjoyed meeting yet.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area

Peace

No apology needed. If people can't discuss topics like adults how will any one learn or pass on information.

I do not own a Shrike though I own/have owned several belt fed guns over the years. My opinions are derived from the examples I have been exposed to or read about on various NFA forums. Granted that's a fairly small sample size though there does seem to be a pattern to the issues with the Shrike. There are those like yourself that have not had issues but there is now several people making parts to correct the report deficiencies which would seem to be counter productive if there were not a demand for them. One owner that I shot with occasionally has a fairly large number of rounds through his Shrike and he has broken several parts on it (upper receiver, bolt carrier, feed tray, actuation roller). Unlike most MGs, the Shrike has not under gone the extensive trials most MGs experience when they undergoing government testing. Most MGs that are eventually adopted usually have their bugs worked out in those test. Shrike is kind of getting that testing while in the end users hands.

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    I think he might be refereeing to my post with the picture. I would say it's cast & a crappy one at that!

The upper looks milled to me in this video. Can't really tell for sure.

Last edited:

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    No apology needed. If people can't discuss topics like adults how will any one learn or pass on information.

I do not own a Shrike though I own/have owned several belt fed guns over the years. My opinions are derived from the examples I have been exposed to or read about on various NFA forums. Granted that's a fairly small sample size though there does seem to be a pattern to the issues with the Shrike. There are those like yourself that have not had issues but there is now several people making parts to correct the report deficiencies which would seem to be counter productive if there were not a demand for them. One owner that I shot with occasionally has a fairly large number of rounds through his Shrike and he has broken several parts on it (upper receiver, bolt carrier, feed tray, actuation roller). Unlike most MGs, the Shrike has not under gone the extensive trials most MGs experience when they undergoing government testing. Most MGs that are eventually adopted usually have their bugs worked out in those test. Shrike is kind of getting that testing while in the end users hands.

There is no doubt there is a trade off between durability/strength, size, cost, weight, and other factors. If you have enough money, you can fix all the other problems. As was mentioned in an earlier post, It may be borderline too big a task for the AR platform. I probably wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a range toy. At my age, all my guns are just range toys. This zombie apocalypse thing needs to hurry up and happen if you guys expect any help from me.

The MCR is cool. It looks cool in a Rambo kind of way. When I take it to the range, I am the "prettiest girl at the dance". Everyone wants to be my friend so they can touch my gun. LOL

What I love about guns it that they are mechanical machines. The parts move and interact with each other to complete a predetermined and predictable action. In the case of a semi-auto rifle, the function is to fire a bullet, cycle, and load the next bullet to be fired. I suppose if it were not for guns, I would probably be a clock maker. The MCR (formerly known as a Shrike) has just enough Rube Goldberg in it's design to make me really like it. It is however just a machine. Like any machine, you have to take the time to figure it out and make adjustments that make sense. Maybe a lot of folks are having similar problems. I don't doubt that. You have to remember that half the population is under average intelligence. Also, people unusually don't complain on forums about having a good time.

Peace

Last edited:
    Top Bottom