• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I got mine as soon as they were available. Though I don't always carry. My job sometimes involves being in places where guns are not allowed. But pretty much always I have one in my car at a minimum.

My dad was a cop, so he carried everywhere he went, including when off duty. Though the off duty was generally the snubby in the glove box or under the seat. I literally grew up with guns all around me. Its weird to me when someone has NO gun in their house or car. Even my California relative transplants almost all have them.
    Hurley's Gold

Txrooster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    S E Texas
    Texas has the castle doctrine, if you choose to carry in your vehicle, car, truck, motorcycle, as an extension of your home. Also, Texas hasn't always been the Red State it is now, and we've had Dem governors & such. And even now we are plagued with sanctuary city mindset in Houston, Austin, & San Antonio..... all of that said that some still do not fully trust any government with the knowledge of them carrying firearms.

vanguard70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    I moved here from communist California and had my CHL within the first year of living here. I recently went to DC, for the March for Life and to show my girls how government worked (or doesn't work), and I felt naked not being able to carry there.

BDub

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I was very surprised to learn that only about 3.5% of Texans have bothered to get a license to carry for a gun.

Its worth considering that 3.5% of Texas population is about 20% of Maryland's population. Also, the % of rural population is much higher - many of those folks dont bother with a handgun license.

pitboxer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2017
    houston
    Many carry in their vehicle and have quit going places that might necessitate defending oneself. At home or in the vehicle many more are strapped than numbers indicate. At work many if not most employers prohibit carrying. In your car they can't stop you. And your home is your castle. I like many here figure the numbers are higher than licences would indicate. Many feel, rightly or wrongly letting the government know you're armed is the first step to confiscation. Since we cannot know what the future holds that is likely a wise decision. To remain silent about your guns.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    If you work in the Federal building in downtown Austin, do NOT carry a gun in your vehicle! They have dogs sniffing the cars several times a day, and if they hit on your car, expect a WORLD of shit to descend on you! No guns on Federal property!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If you work in the Federal building in downtown Austin, do NOT carry a gun in your vehicle! They have dogs sniffing the cars several times a day, and if they hit on your car, expect a WORLD of shit to descend on you! No guns on Federal property!

Is ammo prohibited as well?

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I don't know, but as the penalties are so severe, I wouldn't take the chance on it. If the dog hits on a vehicle it gets searched, at least that's my understanding.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I see some fun. Absolutely no guns or ammo in the vehicle but a liberal sprinkling of Hoppes and gun oil around the vehicle. My answer, "It makes me feel at home".

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I see some fun. Absolutely no guns or ammo in the vehicle but a liberal sprinkling of Hoppes and gun oil around the vehicle. My answer, "It makes me feel at home".
    I don't think this would be as much fun as you make it sound... I wonder what scent the dogs are trained to sniff out- the gunpowder?

I actually got my TX LTC before I officially moved here (still had CO driver's license) because I wanted continual coverage, and CO wouldn't recognize my CHP there after I got a TX permit (they don't recognize non-resident permits). Technically I still have a CO CHP- but it's worthless there now. My TX LTC with TX DL is valid, tho... silly laws created by hoplophobic, sometimes criminal legislators

MBZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2017
    College Station
    I was very surprised to learn that only about 3.5% of Texans have bothered to get a license to carry for a gun. As a political refugee from the people's Republik Of Maryland, where for most my life in and around Washington D.C. there was zero possibility of practicing my 2d amendment rights, I find this really strange. I'd have thought that here in Texas, everyone who could won;d have a carry license.

Why?

Maybe I'm just giddy from the new found freedom as a new adopted Texan, but it has come to seem so natural to get up in morning, put on pants, put gun in pocket of said pants, that I can't imagine not doing it if I were allowed.
    New England transplant here. I hope it's not apathy that keeps the permit count low, or maybe a lot of people carry without one? I got my LTC after moving here, where I used to live getting the Attorney General to sign off on your permit was liking to trying to nail jello to a tree. People need to be aware that a lot of anti-gunners are also moving to Texas to escape high taxes and oppressive government in California, NY, NJ, Conn etc, then they seem to want to make Texas just like the liberal hellhole they just left. Texans, don't be complacent.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    People in Texas licensed to carry handguns

As of April 30, there were 1,017,618 active handgun license holders in Texas!

Lots of folks in Texas carry, they just are not licensed. We all carried out on the ranch and never thought twice about it. Rural Texas is a bit different than living in the city...

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    People in Texas licensed to carry handguns

As of April 30, there were 1,017,618 active handgun license holders in Texas!

Lots of folks in Texas carry, they just are not licensed. We all carried out on the ranch and never thought twice about it. Rural Texas is a bit different than living in the city...

As I posted on the first page of this thread - 1,200,746 or 5.84% of Texans carried as of May 31, 2017 - apparently nobody check'd the link.........

https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    New England transplant here. I hope it's not apathy that keeps the permit count low, or maybe a lot of people carry without one? I got my LTC after moving here, where I used to live getting the Attorney General to sign off on your permit was liking to trying to nail jello to a tree. People need to be aware that a lot of anti-gunners are also moving to Texas to escape high taxes and oppressive government in California, NY, NJ, Conn etc, then they seem to want to make Texas just like the liberal hellhole they just left. Texans, don't be complacent.

THJIS!!!!!!^^^^^

Don't let the libs cohere what they did in their home state!

cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    As I posted on the first page of this thread - 1,200,746 or 5.84% of Texans carried as of May 31, 2017 - apparently nobody check'd the link.........

https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/

That's still pretty apathetic. Why isn't it 15% or 25%? Why isn't every third or fourth swinging Richard on the street exercising their lawful right to carry by making it known in the state by the numbers of license holders?

Numbers mean a very great deal when dealing with political issues.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Why isn't it 15% or 25%?

As several have mentioned, there’s several carve outs in Texas law that allow most people who want to carry to do so without needing a Texas LTC.

If you want numbers, you can look at a lot of sources that tell you anywhere from 35% to 44% of Texans own a firearm. The low side is usually based off FFL transactions, the high side off polls. Either way, I’d guess even at 44%, the estimate is low.

The ATF shows that as of 2014, there were over 10,000 FFL holders in the Texas, the only state to have 5-digit numbers of FFL holders. That in and of itself says something.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That's still pretty apathetic. Why isn't it 15% or 25%? Why isn't every third or fourth swinging Richard on the street exercising third lawful right to carry by making it known in the state by the numbers of license holders?

Maybe because we don't live in a s&^%hole like DC. And at the same time don't feel the need to let anyone know our business.

Top Bottom