• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    As someone mentioned earlier CCL/LTC is still a relatively recent thing in Texas history. But the DPS took on additional staff to handle it in 2016 and that calendar year they issued 369,117 LTCs. The numbers for 2017 look similar so unless that trend nosedives that 5.84% of population should grow a bit. We do have a long way to go to catch Alabama's 20% and some of the others. How the heck do Blue states like Connecticut achieve 9.05%, Washington 10.23% and Pennsylvania 12.61%

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    As someone mentioned earlier CCL/LTC is still a relatively recent thing in Texas history. But the DPS took on additional staff to handle it in 2016 and that calendar year they issued 369,117 LTCs. The numbers for 2017 look similar so unless that trend nosedives that 5.84% of population should grow a bit. We do have a long way to go to catch Alabama's 20% and some of the others. How the heck do Blue states like Connecticut achieve 9.05%, Washington 10.23% and Pennsylvania 12.61%
    I'd have to look at other laws in those states, but I'd venture a guess that these states may:
    1) not allow carry in private businesses that you own without CHL/CCL/LTC.
    2) not allow carry in vehicles without CHL/CCL/LTC.
    3) not recognize non-resident permits (i.e. a FL non-resident permit may be cheaper).
    4) require a permit for other situations that TX does not

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If you work in the Federal building in downtown Austin, do NOT carry a gun in your vehicle! They have dogs sniffing the cars several times a day, and if they hit on your car, expect a WORLD of shit to descend on you! No guns on Federal property!

I sometimes have to go to Federal buildings. I always find an off-site parking facility. Worth the walk for me.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'd have to look at other laws in those states, but I'd venture a guess that these states may:
    3) not recognize non-resident permits (i.e. a FL non-resident permit may be cheaper).

#2 is the #1 reason there are not more CHL / LTC folks. Many don't care to carry on their person, but want some firepower if something bad happens out on the road.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Being from Washington, I can tell you that although western Washington is majority blue, eastern Washington, which is more then half the state landwise, is majority red, but like most places, the bigger cities are liberal infested.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

And correct me if I'm wrong but some of those states may require armed security guards to actual have that state's permit to carry where a commissioned security guard in Texas is not required to.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As mentioned MANY times already, it's easy to carry 90% of the time unlicensed and large portion of the other time is spent at work where most can't carry. It's understandable why many just don't bother, although bad things very well can and do happen in the gap filled by a CHL.

Add in the rural areas people have mentioned where often LE aren't concerned about asking for carry licenses.

When I was 15 I left the property my parents had near meridian in my old 84 Chevy pickup. I'd been deer hunting, had some BBQ, shot a few other guns. As I got ready to leave I took the truck out of 4wd and a wire was cut that lit the indicators around the transfer case shifter. Lost my dash lights too.

So, 15 with a "hardship license", single cab truck with guns stacked in the passenger seat and no dash lights I headed in to Meridian for a box of fuses. Coming through town on HWY 22 I see red and blue in the mirror. Pulled in to the gas station and the cop walks to my window and shines his flashlight around the cab.

"You know why I stopped you?"

Me:Might have been speeding. Tried to guess at it but lost my dash lights.

"Well, you don't have any tail lights either. License please"

Hand him my license and he looks at my age. "You're 15. Kinda young to dip aren't ya"

Don't know what your talking about sir, I don't dip at all" (I smoked at the time but didn't dare admit it, lol)

"What's that in your teeth"

Racked my brain and it hit me. "I was eating brisket for dinner"

After that he held a flashlight so I could find and replace the bad fuse. Told me to have a good evening and be careful. No mention of the guns sitting in the seat next to me at 15 years old. This wasn't 40 years ago, was about 1999.

Doubt I woulda been in trouble if I'd had a can of Copenhagen. Probably woulda had to dump it out in the parking lot and been sent on my way.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I sometimes have to go to Federal buildings. I always find an off-site parking facility. Worth the walk for me.
    I've walked right through the metal detectors at a federal building with a J-frame S&W in my pocket. It's not an experience I would recommend to anyone.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    Spent the night once in Meridian, coming back from Ghraham, at a motel at hwy 6 intersection. Town didn't look like it had more than 500 people. Wife went to get ice from the machine and two guys pulled up in a pickup and asked her if she wanted to buy some crack cocaine! Damn, guess that crap is everywhere.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    A buddy of mine said that not only will they arrest you at the Federal building in Austin, if you have a gun in the vehicle, they take the gun, and your vehicle, too!

TruthlessHero81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    A buddy of mine said that not only will they arrest you at the Federal building in Austin, if you have a gun in the vehicle, they take the gun, and your vehicle, too!

People tend to forgot that Fed spots are under Fed rule, so it’s a whole ‘nother level of hurt for something that might just be a simple mistake.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When you get arrested by the Federal Protective Service, you go into a whole 'nother dimension. Just hope they hand you off to the county jail. If you wind up in a fusion center, you might never be found.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Spent the night once in Meridian, coming back from Ghraham, at a motel at hwy 6 intersection. Town didn't look like it had more than 500 people. Wife went to get ice from the machine and two guys pulled up in a pickup and asked her if she wanted to buy some crack cocaine! Damn, guess that crap is everywhere.

Hwy 6 is a corridor for many different products...Meridian is on it and there's a lot of empty space surrounding.

Overall I'd say the town is fairly clean though, and in general the people can be a bit unwelcoming. Businesses are plenty friendly to those passing through but the population doesn't seem to care for outsiders.

After watching what "city people" have done to the town I grew up in, I really don't blame them.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    The lady running that motel saw those two scumbags pull up and asked my wife if they were trying to bother her. She told the lady they were trying to sell her drugs. Wife said the lady told her they were having problems with outsiders doing that.

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    From 1871 until 1995 there was a Texas law against concealed and open carry, “An Act to Regulate the Keeping and Bearing of Deadly Weapons.

It prohibited pretty much any carrying of a handgun by citizens. Thank you, carpetbagging Yankee Reconstruction.

Enforcement was selective, more-so in urban areas but, really, until the 1990s Texas was primarily a rural state. Most of the growth in the cities has been since the 1990s.

It took until four years after the Killeen Luby’s shooting for concealed carry to come to Texas. And, even then, it was a significant emotional event for both sides.

I’d wager there are more people alive in Texas that can remember getting concealed carry than having only known concealed carry.

No you can’t blame the Yankees for that: our kluge State Constitution was adopted in 1876, almost as soon as Edmund Davis was extricated from the Governors mansion.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    They've got a pretty nice state park just outside of town. Worth driving through if your ever stuck in the area again.

Yep, and in February and March TPWD release trout in there. Micro-light gear and a can of corn will keep the kids happy and busy. Been there many times. I used to camp in that park often.

Top Bottom