• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    The check engine light came on in my old RAV4 this morning.
    Engine starts and runs smoothly/normal.
    Oil level good, Transmission fluid level normal. Coolant levels good. No noise or other external evidence of problems.
    What might be some other quick and easy things to check?
    I don't have a diagnostic tool so I gotta go old school until tomorrow and I can get it in to a shop.
    Would a bad battery cause the check engine light to come on?
    Possibly problem with mass flow/primary o2 sensor. Get the ombd II diagnostic codes and see if it’s at fault. $80 part autozone, $800 at your local dealer fyi.

Loose gas cap is a common culprit. Multiple causes possible, start with the most likely.

Edit- another thing to look at is your engine air filter. If it doesn’t have a good seal, that could also be a cause.

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Are you one of the guys that drives around with a rag for a gas cap?

nope I have a ford and they don't have gas caps anymore :) or at least the last 2 f150s and an escape did not. Open fuel door fill that sucker and slam the door closed.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    nope I have a ford and they don't have gas caps anymore :) or at least the last 2 f150s and an escape did not. Open fuel door fill that sucker and slam the door closed.
    Then you have the trick with the filler door. Spouses current and prior Hondas like many other vehicles I've owned have an inside release, in theory to prevent someone from gaining access. Awhile back, had to drive my kid's 2019 Honda minivan due to an emergency and it was out of gas. Stopped at the station and spent forever trying to find the release. Nope, you just push in on the filler door and it opens. Doh! I miss the old days where you just pulled down the license plate on the back and filled 'er up.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Driving conditions play a part too. The vehicle monitors weather, towing, and driving habits.

If you're hot rodding during the Summer while towing the oil change light comes on quicker for good reason.

True.
    I meant if you only drove your vehicle 10 miles in 2 years, the oil change will come on also.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Well crud. The lights are back.
    Check engine, traction control, AWD lights are on.
    I took it back to O'rielly. Their scanner is telling me the same things it saw the other day.
    Gas Cap and a leak on an oxygen sensor.
    Why the other lights are on is a total mystery.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    A code like that is usually sort of generic for an evaporative system leak. Virtually all modern cars have a system to suck gasoline fumes and burn them from the top of the tank. There is a solenoid valve between the tubing that goes to the top of the tank to the intake manifold somehow. It could be a bad fitting, cracked plumbing, cracked tank... If it keeps showing up, the way mechanics usually find it is through a smoke test - where they have a smoke generator that they can put in the system and see where the smoke comes out. If I were testing stuff, I'd find the solenoid valve in the system and make sure it isn't leaking. They're usually in the engine compartment.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Well crud. The lights are back.
    Check engine, traction control, AWD lights are on.
    I took it back to O'rielly. Their scanner is telling me the same things it saw the other day.
    Gas Cap and a leak on an oxygen sensor.
    Why the other lights are on is a total mystery.
    I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last week but I'd question the link between TC and AWD lights and a check engine light. Could a voltage problem (battery or intermittent connection) be causing these codes?

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last week but I'd question the link between TC and AWD lights and a check engine light. Could a voltage problem (battery or intermittent connection) be causing these codes?
    Yes.
    Dirty battery cables have been known to generate all sorts of random codes.

Never forget, that todays cars are all computer controled and we all know that computers exist to make humans lives easier! :roflfunny:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Assuming your vehicle is more than just a few years old, Google the code along with the model and year for your vehicle. If it's a common issue then you'll find plenty of postings in model specific auto forums.

My neighbor had a Nissan Altima that gave her issues all the time. While the generic code usually helps, it didn't for her vehicle. I could easily find others with the same exact issue and resolution since her vehicle was over 5 years old.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep, that cheap ass one is perfectly adequate for reading and clearing DTCs and freeze frames. Don't use the software that comes with it. Get Torque Lite. I paid for Torque Pro like 10 years ago and it's been worth the $5, but you can do the basic stuff with the free Lite version.

There's a lot more stuff to geek out on, but that'll cover the basics.
    Torque xxx only works on Android though. I got a VeePeak OBDCheck BLE scanner and downloaded Car Scanner ELM OBD2. It seems to work really well.

Top Bottom