• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    What gets me are people who flip burgers for that long... I've worked bottom level retail. And it's hard not to get promoted. Unless you're a complete idiot.

Indeed. Turnover in retail and fast food is insane. I'm sure someone who is flipping burgers for 10 years has to be working for someone who joined the crew after they did. I knew plenty of kids in high school that made assistant manager just by staying at the same job for more than a year. It's really not that difficult.

However, these are not well educated people. They do not make the connection that their wages ultimately decide the cost of the goods they help to sell. I'm sure if McDonald's thought they could get away with selling $20 hamburgers they'd be happy to pay everyone $15 an hour.
    Texas SOT

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Indeed. Turnover in retail and fast food is insane. I'm sure someone who is flipping burgers for 10 years has to be working for someone who joined the crew after they did. I knew plenty of kids in high school that made assistant manager just by staying at the same job for more than a year. It's really not that difficult.

However, these are not well educated people. They do not make the connection that their wages ultimately decide the cost of the goods they help to sell. I'm sure if McDonald's thought they could get away with selling $20 hamburgers they'd be happy to pay everyone $15 an hour.

Nor, would they care even if they did. As far as they are concerned, McD's should be happy to have them on board.
    That would be funny, if it wasn't what many low wage workers actually felt.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

I applied at Micky D's once. Didn't get an interview... Lol

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    When I was a teenager, McDonalds, or any other fast food joint, grocery store, convenience store, car wash, or most minimum wage jobs were occupied by teenagers entering the work force. They were great first jobs to teach yongin's structure, work ethic, responsibility, and over all were a gentle intro to the real world.

Now these mw jobs have become career jobs for people, that is insane.

Plus, attendance or time in service does not in any way equate to a pay raise. If this lady has been a cashier a McD's for 10 years and doesn't understand how to advance in the company structure, then she deserves exactly what she has.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    The problem is that the jobs 16 year olds used to have whey Dinosaurs walked the earth in my day are now held by illegals, so they don't learn a work ethic or how to move on and get better jobs.

Sent from magic cutting board

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I left home at 17 and never returned. Every time I hit an economic downturn/layoff, I went back to school and got some additional skills. In fact, In 1985, after a layoff, I answered a small ad in Tulsa and became a vocational instructor.

I didn't know what the heck to do as a teacher so I enrolled at OSU and earned a Masters Degree with a 4.0 gpa. That took me 22 years within the teaching field. I taught in Vocational schools, Oklahoma State University, public schools and community colleges.

Along the road, I also received training in hydraulics, pneumatics, industrial electrical controls, instrumentation, programmable logic controllers, servo robotics. electronics, mechanical technology, automotive technology and later in Computerized Drafting/design (CAD).

After I quit teaching, I went back to industry as a Master Technician working on robotic/computerized production equipment.

I retired three years ago and still teach part time at a community college.

Work for minimum wage? Are you kidding? I have neither the time nor the interest in doing that.

Flash

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    These people don't know how to survive in this economy. I started out in fast food making $5.15 an hour. I went to school and busted my ass for 8 years earning two degrees while working. I gave up my weekends for two of those years delivering moon walks that had to be set up in the morning and then picked up at night rain or shine, hot or cold for shit pay but hey, it helped keep gas in my truck and food in my stomach and it was something I could fit into my brutal academic schedule (Computer Science is not easy).

Once my I.T. skills were built up, I quit driving and got an on campus job in the I.T. department as PHP programmer for $11.00 an hour and then later on I got an internship at an insurance company in San Antonio making $17.00 dollars. I graduated and got the $50,000+ consulting job, left that job because of the great recession, went to the Big 4 a year later, worked there for two years and then got a better job that pays a lot more and so hear I am. I still work a lot of hours but I have a career I enjoy and live comfortably.

Even when I was still a teenager working in a retail job, I figured out that there were ways to make yourself valuable. I started this retail as a seasonal employee and when Christmas was over they were going to let go a lot of the seasonal employees but they were going to keep 17 out of 80+. Naturally the lower performers were let go first as the weeks went on, the better performers were let go last and the best performers stayed. I was one of the 17 that stayed. As other "survivors" begged management for more hours (which they refused to give) I kept my mouth shut and did the best job I could and I developed a reputation and someone who did a great job so when someone didn't show up for work, they called me to fill in. I also went out of my way to learn other area of the store to make myself more valuable and versatile and when someone didn't show up in those functions, they called me. I basically became sixth man off the bench when someone called in or quit without notice. It got to a point where more than one manager or supervisor told me they thought I had management potential. I moved on three weeks before I started college (I actually left to due a dispute with management but that was a valuable learning experience for me) but had I hung around I have little doubt I would have been promoted to supervisor at age 19.

So when I hear that someone has been working at McDonald's for ten years making $8.25 an hour, then that tells me that for ten years, they probably only performed well enough to keep their job and did nothing to improve their skill set. I sorry but that is not the path to promotion or a higher wage and I am a firm believer that you will always command the wage you are worth because if you could command and higher wage and wanted to, you would and that goes for every one from Peyton Manning to the minimum wage worker.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I earned my Masters Degree from Oklahoma State University, I worked full time days, worked nights two days per week and went to classes two evenings per week. When I graduated from OSU, I was totally debt free and still earned a perfect 4.0 GPA. I graduating with honors with a Masters!

THAT kind of effort is what gets your asx out of the ditch!

Flash

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    But whose gonna pay for mah keeids?

y6ymu8e6.jpg

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    When I earned my Masters Degree from Oklahoma State University, I worked full time days, worked nights two days per week and went to classes two evenings per week. When I graduated from OSU, I was totally debt free and still earned a perfect 4.0 GPA. I graduating with honors with a Masters!

THAT kind of effort is what gets your asx out of the ditch!

Flash

It does seem that the general attitude these days is that debt is unavoidable.

Your posts to this thread have been a great reminder of what is lacking with a great majority in this country.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is a huge movement right now amongst the poor towards demanding more from the government and from industry. I sympathize with them but the agitators on the left are just using them of course not truly helping them.
    The lefty useful idiots that want to help because they have soft hearts and weak minds elect people who promise to take care of the poor, we can figure out how to pay for it later.

Eventually both the poor masses and their asses who lead them will turn wholesale against the very ones who go to work and will be taxed into poverty themselves to provide for the less fortunate (hate that term, if you were born without arms you are less fortunate. If you like beer and TV and not working you are lazy...or retired)
    -Not send from an Obamaphone

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Credit is not your friend.
    Debt is poison.

I could pay off this house, today. I owe nothing. Without keeping it that way, I never could have retired.

Flash

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The progressives changed the terms of debate. What we once called "welfare" or "free loaders" is now an entitlement promised by big government.

Three generations of people have been raised thinking they should get whatever they want without having to work to get it.

This will go on and on until the Republic implodes when the makers cannot pay for the takers.

That time is already at hand.

No wonder we are stocking up on arms and ammo.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The problem is that the jobs 16 year olds used to have whey Dinosaurs walked the earth in my day are now held by illegals, so they don't learn a work ethic or how to move on and get better jobs.

Sent from magic cutting board

I don't doubt some illegals have some jobs. But I see lots of young Americans at retail, fast food, mowing lawns, and other jobs of hard work. My daughter (17) wws just n the job hunt and teens and young adults are in demand. She had no problem getting hired.

I will tell you we taught her a work ethic, and she has already been noticed by management. The slackers of the young generation make it easier for a person to stand out and emove up.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I worked anywhere between 30-70 hours a week in school. About 4.5 of the 6 years was on commission. I got out of school with 3 grand in loans. Which was the result of 1 year where my employer over promised and under delivered on hours.

Now I didn't have a 4.0. But that work experience got me a job coupled with my degree has kept me employed since.

Working is not rocket science.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Credit is not your friend.
    Debt is poison.

I could pay off this house, today. I owe nothing. Without keeping it that way, I never could have retired.

Flash

I live on the Dave Ramsey plan.

I've been doing that before he even came along and made millions off of it.

Paid my own way through college (with the help of the GI Bill which I earned through my service thank you).

Graduated college with a BS without accruing any debt at all. I worked the whole time.

I can never forget the night I was bartending at Applebee's in Sherman when it all caught up with me. I was doing 45 hours at A&M Commerce and working 50 hours/week at Applebee's in Sherman (driving a lot in a shitty car, started out with a motorcycle and figured out real quick how much that can suck).

I was in the middle of my shift, making good money on tips and everything when I just blacked out.

I dropped like a rock. Busted my head open and went to Vietnam. I was only out for a few minutes but while I was out I was an LRP in a firefight in a jungle in Vietnam.

No one was as surprised as I was when I woke up with a nasty vinegar smelling bar towel shoved into my face.

I didn't take the ambulance ride that they'd called because I knew I couldn't afford it. My brother who was a volunteer paramedic picked me up and sewed my head up.

I was in class, on time, in Commerce the next morning.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I live on the Dave Ramsey plan.

I've been doing that before he even came along and made millions off of it.

Paid my own way through college (with the help of the GI Bill which I earned through my service thank you).

Graduated college with a BS without accruing any debt at all. I worked the whole time.

I can never forget the night I was bartending at Applebee's in Sherman when it all caught up with me. I was doing 45 hours at A&M Commerce and working 50 hours/week at Applebee's in Sherman (driving a lot in a shitty car, started out with a motorcycle and figured out real quick how much that can suck).

I was in the middle of my shift, making good money on tips and everything when I just blacked out.

I dropped like a rock. Busted my head open and went to Vietnam. I was only out for a few minutes but while I was out I was an LRP in a firefight in a jungle in Vietnam.

No one was as surprised as I was when I woke up with a nasty vinegar smelling bar towel shoved into my face.

I didn't take the ambulance ride that they'd called because I knew I couldn't afford it. My brother who was a volunteer paramedic picked me up and sewed my head up.

I was in class, on time, in Commerce the next morning.

Respect. You have mine

Top Bottom