Women's Revolver Question

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
Jul 28, 2008
Shady Shores, TX
I have decided to purchase a handgun for my daughter, even though she can't legally own one (), she can join me at the shooting range and get the feel of things.

At first I was thinking about a compact 9mm, but now I'm leaning towards a snub revolver. Even though I have fired a good variety of revolvers, I never really thought of it from a woman's prospective about features that would make a difference. Things like: Size, Recoil, comfort, concealability, simplicity etc.

I don't want anything smaller than a .32.

Any thoughts?

Hochdruck

Aug 20, 2008
Cypress, TX
I think something bigger (little more barrel) to start on would be better... more accurate and the extra size helps with the recoil.

Basically my biggest concern from teaching my wife to shoot is accurate shooting with a snubbie is hard and could be discouraging.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
Jul 28, 2008
Shady Shores, TX
I think something bigger (little more barrel) to start on would be better... more accurate and the extra size helps with the recoil.

Basically my biggest concern from teaching my wife to shoot is accurate shooting with a snubbie is hard and could be discouraging.
I took in that factor as well. Longer barrel would mean for accuracy but less concealability (stick in a small purse). It would be more defense over accuracy. I do want her to learn off the gun she will carry when she turns 21.
I'm trying to "think" as a woman.

Probably the best bet is to take her out to DFW Gun range and rent a few.

jfrey

Apr 8, 2008
Coastal Texas
I personally, don't always agree on the "3 in. barrel" thinking. Both my sons have smaller framed girlfriends who have both shot my Taurus 85 with a 2 in. bbl. They shoot it very well and are accurate with it. The recoil isn't bad with regular loads. My oldest son even bought his girlfriend one just like it. I think it isn't so much the gun or the recoil, as the teaching that makes the most difference. I wouldn't start anyone out with a .45, but a .38 or 9mm is well within the range of a first gun.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
Jul 28, 2008
Shady Shores, TX
I really am leaning towards the Lady Smith 60 in a .38 special. It looks like a fine 'girlie' gun. I'll still take her out to the range and rent a few.
I wonder if it has the lawyer lock on it?

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
Feb 29, 2008
DFW area.....Wylie.
Below is a link you may want to read. It is written from a female perspective and starts of fairly tongue-in-cheek. However, once you get through that, it has some meat. I also realize it refers to buying a gun for your wife, not daughter. For the article, I think they are fairly interchageable.
Cornered Cat - Buying a Gun for Your Wife

If you do read it, when you get a chance.....it's worth clicking on Table of contents and scrolling down. There is some very good info there for men and women.

I also second renting a few different guns in a few different calibers. Good luck.

target4fun

BANNED!!!
Sep 13, 2008
San Antonio
I have found with women or any novice "good training" is the most important more so than choice of cal. I always start with small calibers .22 then go up gradually until I get to a point where they are handling as much as they can handle with out sacrificing accuracy and comfort. I have had many women who can handle a 1911 just as good if not better than most men some are more fragile and get scared of the sound no matter what for those it usually ends up being 9mm or 38spl. that is best suited.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members