Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is weird.

My truck, a 2002 F150 with the base V6, gets 13-14 mpg. It always has except times when I'm going a long distance at a steady 55 mph when it might creep up to, at most, 18 mpg. If I treat it rough in around-town, stop-and-go traffic, it might drop to 12 mpg.

I reset my trip odometer after fill ups and calculate mileage if I fill up again at the next gas stop.

I filled up today, ran the numbers, and for my last tank I got a touch over 20 mpg. This entire tank was around town driving and I can't think of anything I did differently.

I've had vehicles suddenly get worse mileage when something was wrong but I've never experienced this sort of sudden improvement.

Any theories?
    Hurley's Gold

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    This is weird.

My truck, a 2002 F150 with the base V6, gets 13-14 mpg. It always has except times when I'm going a long distance at a steady 55 mph when it might creep up to, at most, 18 mpg. If I treat it rough in around-town, stop-and-go traffic, it might drop to 12 mpg.

I reset my trip odometer after fill ups and calculate mileage if I fill up again at the next gas stop.

I filled up today, ran the numbers, and for my last tank I got a touch over 20 mpg. This entire tank was around town driving and I can't think of anything I did differently.

I've had vehicles suddenly get worse mileage when something was wrong but I've never experienced this sort of sudden improvement.

Any theories?
    Yes.

Good gas...

My F 350 (460cid, 4 speed, 4:11 gear) gets more power, better mileage on ethanol free gas..

Runs like it has three more cylinders and mileage goes from 8 or 9mpg to 12 or 15!!mpg!!

If? you have a head gasket starting to go (ruling out real gas/good gas by accident at the fillin' station)...

WATER INJECTION greatly improves power/fuel economy (does not matter if it is coming from the cooling system) LOL

50 to 75% increase in fuel economy with water injection...20 to 30% increase in power.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Might be a different mix in the gasoline. If too much of the premium was ordered and won't fit in that tank, it's dumped into the next flavor down, and so forth. Used to get that occasionally in my 1/2 ton Dodge. Or when I didn't get the corn liquor type gas.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Wow. Undersized engine? All my work pickups and personal pickups do better than that on the highway running 80 mph.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Might be a different mix in the gasoline. If too much of the premium was ordered and won't fit in that tank, it's dumped into the next flavor down, and so forth. Used to get that occasionally in my 1/2 ton Dodge. Or when I didn't get the corn liquor type gas.
    Shouldn't happen that way but it does. I never did it when I hauled fuel but I knew those that did.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    This is weird.

Any theories?
    0a0d83cc29fa26b93d88de48cf410355.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Undersized engine?
    I think so. I've been told so by lots of folks who seem to know about that drivetrain. I even figured that's the reason the truck had a half-dozen owners before I bought it. Who wants an underpowered truck that.sucks gas so prodigiously?

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    In my 2013 1/2 ton Chevy truck, I get better mileage when I was traveling than around town
    because of no stop and go at signal lights, stop sign or stop and go traffic. Also going a steady
    speed, my engine would drop from 8 cylinders down to 6 cylinders.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom