Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Was that a 1/4 mile at a time?
    I'm a bit of a leadfoot when the green light comes on but, no, the driving wasn't much different from normal. Nor was the mileage. That engine in that truck just sucks gas. It always has. Not quite 10 mpg, usually 12 or 13 but, yeah, it's a gas hog.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    My '99 Suburban big block gets 10 MPG. This is whether towing, doing 80, driving easy or driving like a bat out of hell. This is terrible for a daily driver but tremendous for towing! Trailer weight/size dosen't matter. 10 MPG.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    190 miles of exactly the same sort of driving as the previous 170 miles - 14 mpg.

I'm about to give up. The inconsistency drives me nuts but the truck runs well and does everything I need so maybe I should just let go of the notion of ever understanding why the mileage is so all over the place.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Tire air pressure changes with ambient temperature. The rolling resistance would vary.
    How big a factor is this, really? For example, my tires are supposed to be at 35psi. Suppose I aired them down to 20psi. How much mileage change should I expect?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    i had a 96 Chevy 2500 that got and extra 3 mpg and much better performance when the temp was between 40 and 50 degrees, as long as the humidity was low. It had to do with the tuning of the throttle body.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    i had a 96 Chevy 2500 that got and extra 3 mpg and much better performance when the temp was between 40 and 50 degrees, as long as the humidity was low. It had to do with the tuning of the throttle body.
    That had to do with density altitude. Different temperatures In combination with altitude creates denser air. Denser air equals more power. Simple calc, ask any pilot.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That had to do with density altitude. Different temperatures In combination with altitude creates denser air. Denser air equals more power. Simple calc, ask any pilot.
    Different temperatures will have an effect at the same altitude. Colder air is more dense regardless of altitude. Humidity and barometric pressure also enter the equation.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Different temperatures will have an effect at the same altitude. Colder air is more dense regardless of altitude. Humidity and barometric pressure also enter the equation.
    Head wind, and side wind all have a heavy effect on pickups. Try running into the wind with a 4X8 sheet of plywood. A side wind messes with your rear vortex, causing additional drag. Add this to the mechanical and frictional rolling resistance. Most passenger cars are shaped like a lump to reduce the effect.

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    My dad has that ecoboost V6 in his truck, it doesn't seem underpowered, I haven't pulled a trailer though. But even in that heavy truck it was way more nimble than my 63 chevy. Which got about 12 LOL.

But put that ecoboost in a car and it kicks ass. And it still gets between 18 and 22.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Last 4 fill-ups of at least a half tank have been 12, 9, 12, and 13 mpg. All of it was the same kind of around-town driving.

I can't explain the inconsistency but I've learned to live with it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    300 miles around town at 15 mpg.

Absolutely no difference that I can figure between this tank and the ones where I get mileage in the single digits.

The inconsistency bugs the crap outta me but, as I said, I'll just live with it.

Top Bottom