Guns International

work in progress.. turning my sportster into a "war"ster.. WLA look'n harley..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    TWO updates.. i put the windscreen on.. this is a copy of the old police windshield that's been a feature of Harley's for ever.. thought mine was going to be to small.. nope.. it's none to large, but actually works out fine... least it did on it's trial ride last night.. and looks REAL good.. so this morning, i'm looking for some numbers (dimension stuff) for the tank star... and i find this guy on ebay.. (check military decals) who sells them in what ever color and size you want.. obviously i wanted white.. 13 BUCKS.. HA HA.. FOR 3 OF THEM.. this is great as i didn't have white paint. that would have been 4-5 bucks, and rather than me screwing it up these decals will be perfect.. the third is one for the front fender.. got two seven's and one four inch for the front fender..
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    WOW.. beautiful bike Rog.. for the room the current line up for sportsters (been this way since 88) is either 883 (54ci) or 1200 (74ci) Flash has the big boy.. and let me tell you it's a torque monster.. because they develop their TQ and HP down at a lower RPM there's a tendency to ride Harley's a lot safer.. just a fact.. when you're "ON" a metric that doesn't come on it's cam's till 6K you're ridding full out.. with a Harley you can just twist that wick at an idle and have like 80% of what a big (talking 1kcc not 600cc) has on tap.. because you can tap into this so easy and at such a low rpm you're not pushing the envelop as much.. know that sounds confusing but true.. NOT saying Flashes 1200 will run with a Hyabusha .. but am saying it will come REAL close any time he wants it.. i came off of sportbikes back in the eighties and that was the first thing i noticed..

Second thing and i know i'm going to sound like i work for the factory.. when you wear the brand on your skin you have a tendency to be prejudiced, but i believe i can make an argument for Flashes scoot being the best all around M/C you can buy, Harley's won't depreciate . you CAN'T find one in a junk yard anywhere unless their frames wrecked beyond repair.. Faster than any 4 wheel "anything" you can buy unless you have 100K to spend. Dead solid dependable (all of them are now.. Young'n's new bike is as dependable as "buffy's" new BMW) the basic engine is now 80 yep 80! years old.. the 1936 WLD and Flashes XL12 are seperated by overhead valves that started in 57 so guess you could say only 60 years.. dead on 50 mpg.. run with most anything on the road.. blow up that picture and look at REAL chrome.. I'm NOT knocking other rides... i've had as many metric as domestic, and love all motorcycles.. that Ural is beyond cool, and YoungGuns new bike is solid and beautiful..

guess it's like Glock and 1911's.. at the end of the day when the dust settles.. i really believe Suger's FL is going to be the last bike standing..

Nice save padre, always one to keep the peace, lol.

The Harley Vs everything else debate is a little silly to me but the comparison to 1911 vs glock is spot on.

The sad thing is, only had my bike a short time and already my first instinct was to whip out the ruler to start measuring. I can easily see how people get so caught up in the brand wars. Not sure how some can take it to the point of not waving but only found a couple who are that deep in the kool aid. I even waved at a couple spyders Sunday. Wanted them to feel like they were really part of the club:p

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    I have found that most wave back. Some bmw riders tend to not wave. I think what matters is that you ride. Not what you ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    TWO updates.. i put the windscreen on.. this is a copy of the old police windshield that's been a feature of Harley's for ever.. thought mine was going to be to small.. nope.. it's none to large, but actually works out fine... least it did on it's trial ride last night.. and looks REAL good.. so this morning, i'm looking for some numbers (dimension stuff) for the tank star... and i find this guy on ebay.. (check military decals) who sells them in what ever color and size you want.. obviously i wanted white.. 13 BUCKS.. HA HA.. FOR 3 OF THEM.. this is great as i didn't have white paint. that would have been 4-5 bucks, and rather than me screwing it up these decals will be perfect.. the third is one for the front fender.. got two seven's and one four inch for the front fender..

OK I'll say it.......Pictures, or it didn't happen:p.........gotcha Greg:peace:

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Shessh remember the days when a man told a girl her windshield was on .. she believed him and didn't feel all "cheap" and "used" the next day and want to see pictures..

Can't show the decals, and a problem with that.. i ordered them yesterday right before the post.. so i go out and measure.. way to big.. need like two 4 inches and one two inch.. get on the site and just ask for a change.. this morning i see they've REFUNDED my money.. We're not dealing with "Bowing, or Airbus.. guys running this thing out of his bed room.. had a place for a note.. left a well worded straight to the point.. happy with all, just change sizes...

nope canceled.. so i guess i have to go on ebay and reorder..

Attachments

• P100713_1443 (1).jpg
      P100713_1443 (1).jpg
      18.9 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Shessh remember the days when a man told a girl her windshield was on .. she believed him and didn't feel all "cheap" and "used" the next day and want to see pictures..

Can't show the decals, and a problem with that.. i ordered them yesterday right before the post.. so i go out and measure.. way to big.. need like two 4 inches and one two inch.. get on the site and just ask for a change.. this morning i see they've REFUNDED my money.. We're not dealing with "Bowing, or Airbus.. guys running this thing out of his bed room.. had a place for a note.. left a well worded straight to the point.. happy with all, just change sizes...

nope canceled.. so i guess i have to go on ebay and reorder..
    looking good my man..........looking good

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Well my TGT "bud's" I've got a "little" issue.

Just holding on the decals, and "time" .. have most everything else ready.. the PIGBOY (love ya bro) is right about a project never being "over", i've found floor boards and a rear fender "rack" or "bracket" that i know will work, but want to get to the most important part.. paint..

Got all the paint, stored with the front fender which is a goodp palce to start.. the rear fender will be masked off BIG TIME.. not sure on the tank, don't want to pull it, but either that OR pull the handlebar risers to be able to paint.. Now we get to the prob. G wants me to leave the logo on the tank.. i planed on pulling the HD script (chrome, i'll see if i can pull a pic) fill in the screw holes (piece of cake) paint and decal .. she says what she liked most was the HD script and want's me to save it.. to her credit she's right in that i'm saving all the chrome, so will it look that out of place.. hmm.. obviously this is my decision, she's doing the "it's what ever you want honey" thing.. but i also know ..seriously that it would please her.. so what do you guys think .. think about the HD script running "over" part of the white star.. any thoughts guys..

notes: that first pic show it pre single seat, but you can "sorta" get an idea on the logo /star thing.

Attachments

• P090813_1558.jpg
      P090813_1558.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 116
    • P090713_1856.jpg
      P090713_1856.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 132
    • P100713_1443 (1).jpg
      P100713_1443 (1).jpg
      18.9 KB · Views: 129

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Paint.. got the first coat on the new fender.. and guys i think i hit it with the color.. thanks Lord that be OD..

on the star.. i had a hard time getting the right one, and thought i'd just draw out a Jewish 6 point star of David.. least get an idea of how the white will look against the OD..

still dealing with the other issue with the OEM logo against the star.. or not.. it would save me from having to bondo and sanding the screw mounts, but not that big of an issue.. will see ..

Attachments

• P100913_1940 (3).jpg
      P100913_1940 (3).jpg
      11 KB · Views: 158

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Got the decals.. fist class.. only paid 13$ for two large and one small, but these are not only the white star..(larger than the one i cut out as a demo) but are star inside a circle.. really look neat.. The plan today is to get the bike inside and start masking it off for paint.. i'll take over my side of the garage till it's masked and ready then take G's out and center the bike for painting.. Had a near disaster last night.. putting on a second coat of paint on the new fender.. i had my drop light hanging right above where i was working ... guess i put to much stress on the drop light, it "disengaged" from the roof which sadly is plaster.. bringing old ceiling plaster down on my newly painted fender that was covered in wet paint.. brushed the plaster off, and obviously it will need another coat, but nothing ruined..

i ordered some panniers for it.. check WLA pictures and see the metal ammo can's .. ha ha.. i found cheaper than dirt had the plastic ones on sale pretty cheap, and most important they should work well with the project.. i'll mount them on the front fender, maybe both .. front to start with and then rear if they work.. their plastic so much better than the original metal.. note here.. when i first started bike camping i realized the front fender was a good tie down spot . i was worried about effecting the handling and or air flow, but after dozens and dozens of loaded trips i can say that neither of these were a concern.. obviously if i was ridding hard and pushing apex's it would be a different story, but not for easy ridding.. and the plastic will not only look (check the WLA's pictures) right, but give me good storage.. next thing is to figure out how to get a good paint job from a can..

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Soooo, should be ready in time to ride out to the Hicksville meet. Lookin forward to meeting you:)

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    i actually thought about ridding it to "hick's" .. i've ridden a lot further. (central az to tx 750 mi as a guess) but with my back today i know in my heart there's no way.. so then i thought about a trailer .. NEVER trailer'd a bike to an even.. bad form, but again given my back i could look myself in the mirror..

Fact is there's no way it's going to happen.. just to far... but i sure wish i could do it.. my plans are to do a video of the bike (and padre) after it''s done..

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Padre, you're OK!

How about trailering to Sturgis? Not me, pal....I rode and hit Sturgis on the tail end of an 8000 mile MC trip! Trailers are for when you have a flat tire.

Flash

Top Bottom