Worst Movie this Year" Desolation of Smaug"

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
This movie sucked. My wife and I walked out of it less than an hour into it. IMAX 3D couldn't save this piece of crap.
I should send Peter Jackson a bill.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
Maybe theaters should have *viewing meters*. Couple bucks per hour instead in full in advance.

But have your quarters ready cuz if you don't feed the meter within 30 seconds, the ejection seat will show you the door. ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Second the call for more details.

As an aside, I love the original-spec IMAX but IMAX 3-D is the quickest, easiest way to ruin a movie for me. It gives me one horrific headache, every single time. I mean to say - steal-a-morphine-from-my-sis headache pain. I can't stand IMAX 3-D.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
First movie followed the book pretty well and was an enjoyable movie with great FX. Second movie deviated from the book to a huge degree, had an inter species love interest, and was so boring that my wife and I walked our one hour into it.(58 minutes to be exact)
If you are a Tolkien fan, save your money and just read the book again.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
Lifetime Member
Oct 4, 2013
Gunz are icky.
Just got back from seeing it.

I've never read the book so I went in with no expectations.

It's a movie about dwarves, elves, and a dragon. Mindless entertainment.

I enjoyed it.

BTW, the movie WAS kinda so-so until the dragon wakes up. It's pretty amazing animation then. Last 15-20 minutes is fun.

BG1960

Well-Known
Nov 9, 2008
Unincorporated East Harris County
I kinda figured when they took a single book and stretched it out into one movie a year for three years they would fork it up. I just watched the first one the other day and was sorely disappointed. Not ashamed to say I have read the Hobbit too many times to count over the last 40 years.

DubiousDan

TGT Addict
May 22, 2010
San Antonio
I didn't see it in IMAX or 3D so it was just $6 and I was not disappointed. Lots of fun once the dragon woke up.

I've been disappointed in everything I've see in 3D so I avoid it.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
Feb 19, 2013
Austin, TX
First movie followed the book pretty well and was an enjoyable movie with great FX. Second movie deviated from the book to a huge degree, had an inter species love interest, and was so boring that my wife and I walked our one hour into it.(58 minutes to be exact)
If you are a Tolkien fan, save your money and just read the book again.

I have to disagree with you. I felt like the first movie dragged on forever. I didn't really like the second one, but at least it moved along enough for me not to fall asleep. They were both way too "cartoony" for me. I was expecting something like the Lord of the Rings, which has a way more gritty feel then these new movies. They feel like I'm watching an animated kid's movie.

Also, if I could get Peter Jackson to recoup my Alamo experience, drinks included, that would be great.

Top Bottom