Target Sports

Would you rock Costa's latest lever-gat setup?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

The Beard has really gone whole-hog with cowboy guns it seems, but he's still tacticool. I gotta admit I'm not a purist when it comes to lever guns, though there are some really soul-hurting mods I've seen done.

His latest rendition of the .45-70 is intriguing, though there's a few things I'd be less than thrilled with like the stock (I think I'd still rather have a wooden stock, with a leather cuff to hold the rounds there) - I do like that full length rail though.
    Venture Surplus ad

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

The Beard has really gone whole-hog with cowboy guns it seems, but he's still tacticool. I gotta admit I'm not a purist when it comes to lever guns, though there are some really soul-hurting mods I've seen done.

His latest rendition of the .45-70 is intriguing, though there's a few things I'd be less than thrilled with like the stock (I think I'd still rather have a wooden stock, with a leather cuff to hold the rounds there) - I do like that full length rail though.

Maybe in a post-AR world...

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Here’s my problem with crap like this:

If you can’t dispatch what needs to be put down with what’s chambered and loaded in the tube, how is all that other tactical shit going to matter?

Protection from Bears that are trained in small arms and will pin you down with fire? Preparing for wildlife and humans are different.

Right off the bat if someone wants firepower for wilderness protection because they don’t have much experience being alone in the wilderness and everything spokes em, I’ll recommend an m14 scout/tanker and loaded mags in pouches well before I’d recommended some tactical 45-70 where you’re finger fucking around to load your tube.

I’m taking my vepr12. All mags loaded with slugs. With the muzzle break it has, it’s going to lay down some nice destruction.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I like it a lot. I think it’s a very functional firearm and want to eventually build something similar, probably in 30-30 or .357

But as Costa says, and I agree, I also love traditional wood and blue guns. I have no issues owning or enjoying both.

YMMV

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

If you can’t dispatch what needs to be put down with what’s chambered and loaded in the tube, how is all that other tactical shit going to matter?

Protection from Bears that are trained in small arms? Preparing for wildlife and humans are different.

Right off the bat if someone wants firepower for wilderness protection because they don’t have much experience being alone in the wilderness and everything spokes em, I’ll recommend an m14 scout/tanker and loaded mags in pouches well before I’d recommended some tactical 45-70 where you’re finger fucking around to load your tube.
    I agree with your point…not an easy gun to reload and keep in the fight. Costa mentioned that.

I don’t know what the true function or purpose of that gun is…I’m not replacing my HD AR with a lever gun.

But the idea of learning to run one and running drills with one to learn efficient reloading and fast target acquisitions is a hand-eye skill that wouldn’t hurt to have.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I agree with your point…not an easy gun to reload and keep in the fight. Costa mentioned that.

I don’t know what the true function or purpose of that gun is…I’m not replacing my HD AR with a lever gun.

But the idea of learning to run one and running drills with one to learn efficient reloading and fast target acquisitions is a hand-eye skill that wouldn’t hurt to have.
    I’ll add to my points:

With current gear or military surplus you won’t find a need to reinvent the wheel.

Anytime I see shell/cartridge attachments on more traditional guns, I feel it’s going to slow you down. Then if you want to train with it like that for people...cool. I won’t knock someone for wanting to build skills. I myself like to use the best tools I have for the job. Modding out a lever gun still doesn’t come close to an sks with proper gear or a battle rifle in 308 set up with proper gear.

Most of my hiking and camping was protected by at least one semi auto in 7.62x39

If I had 30-40k I’ll show you the ultimate guide gun. An nfa ak.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Protection from Bears that are trained in small arms and will pin you down with fire? Preparing for wildlife and humans are different.

I’m taking my vepr12. All mags loaded with slugs. With the muzzle break it has, it’s going to lay down some nice destruction.

He brings up the point that this would be a preferred setup for him (in a gun chambered for .357mag or .44 more so than .45-70 due to them being higher capacity) in anti-2A states, like Cali, that have magazine restrictions, fixed mag nonsense, etc. Also made mention of hog hunting with it, at night, and the use of illuminators / lasers (assuming with nods) because of the punch .45-70 packs.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    He brings up the point that this would be a preferred setup for him (in a gun chambered for .357mag or .44 more so than .45-70 due to them being higher capacity) in anti-2A states, like Cali, that have magazine restrictions, fixed mag nonsense, etc. Also made mention of hog hunting with it, at night, and the use of illuminators / lasers (assuming with nods) because of the punch .45-70 packs.
    It’s just as bad as Clint taking century ak’s and putting thunder ranch of shit. It’s hot, I’m cranky, and i dislike tactical lever actions.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    It's a sweet-looking weapon, I wouldn't kick it out of my safe if I got it as a gift

but

1) I'd never spend that much on something that doesn't really appeal to me
    2) it's not practical, there are arguably better options for any purpose except perhaps posing on Instagram

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Don't like the buttstock. Really needs to be a solid, synthetic stock with a trapdoor to hold items like a cleaning kit or extra ammo.

Also, .45-70 is not a round I'd choose. .30-30, .357Mag, or .44Mag make more sense. If you can get a magazine levergun like the BLR or Savage 99, .308 would be better. I wish more gunmakers did leverguns with detachable or rotary mags.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    As nice a gun as it may be I gotta wonder about this guy, is he serious.

I almost expected him to say: Golleee, I gitted me a war belt to go wiff my tactiKool levar gun. Yeeha I are reddi fer anyting or will be once I is learnt bout how too opersarate the levar smuuth and rEElode rite.

Is this guy for real??? A war belt to go with his Thumper Version 2. May the spirits of Colt, Remington, Browning, Henry & Marlin help us please! I had to stop watching once he mentioned how much his belt looked like a "war belt". I was laughing to hard to stay seated at the computer.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    As nice a gun as it may be I gotta wonder about this guy, is he serious.

I almost expected him to say: Golleee, I gitted me a war belt to go wiff my tactiKool levar gun. Yeeha I are reddi fer anyting or will be once I is learnt bout how too opersarate the levar smuuth and rEElode rite.

Is this guy for real??? A war belt to go with his Thumper Version 2. May the spirits of Colt, Remington, Browning, Henry & Marlin help us please! I had to stop watching once he mentioned how much his belt looked like a "war belt". I was laughing to hard to stay seated at the computer.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with him? Chris Costa, formerly of MagPul Dynamics fame (same with Travis Haley - they used to run it together)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom