• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Saying you want criminals to be tortured to death is unrealistic and silly. We are the USA, not some third world Islamist shithole.
    Capitol Armory ad

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    And yet you would be OK with the relative of a victim potentially shooting to maim, thus leaving the person to die writhing in agony and screaming all the way to hell, whereas what I suggested is more or less a natural death, and is really just a variation of the current lethal injection (only real difference is that the current LI drug combo tries to block the pain).

Y'see where I'm coming from here?

Edit: Since you attacked my method, I believe it's only fair that I attack yours.

Firing squads are notoriously problematic as a method of execution. More often than not, the people on the line will either close their eyes before they fire or jerk their aim off-target, because they don't want to be the one that kills the person on the other end of the rifle. That leads to follow-up volleys, and in one memorable instance from Mexico, a point-blank shot to the head -after- over a dozen rifle shots to the chest (amazingly, that person actually survived his wounds, and remains the only person to ever survive the firing squad).

So I ask you. What's worse, wanting to bring back a method that is fundamentally flawed, or wanting to change a current method?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    And yet you would be OK with the relative of a victim potentially shooting to maim, thus leaving the person to die writhing in agony and screaming all the way to hel

Now you are putting words in my mouth. Modern firing squads are done with the rifles aimed at the target then locked down. The shooters only pull the trigger.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    It's still an outdated method that hasn't been widely used in almost a century. And there's still the psychological effect on whoever does fire the killing shot, which IIRC is one of the chief reasons the firing line/firing squad was phased out once the electric chair came to prominence.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It's still an outdated method that hasn't been widely used in almost a century. And there's still the psychological effect on whoever does fire the killing shot, which IIRC is one of the chief reasons the firing line/firing squad was phased out once the electric chair came to prominence.

The firing would be done by the family of the victim, as I said.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    And I'm actually a damn strong supporter of that. I just think that a bullet to the heart is a quicker death than certain types of criminal deserve.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I could save the state millions with my wood chipper services.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I agree that punishment should be swift for those that commit murder or other horrific crimes against the general public.
    One thing that should give us all pause is the number of people that are being cleared through DNA testing. Several of these people were convicted of serious offenses.
    I would hate to be a jury member that sentenced a man to death, and then later learn he was innocent.
    In the case of the guy who shot those people at Fort Hood a few years ago. There was enough hard evidence from eye witnesses, that he should be dead by now!! Our judical system is really screwed up when a judge is more concerned about a guy's beard than getting him tried and punished.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    They don't have free AND unfettered cable/internet but otherwise I agree with you. Public executions for the most heinous of criminals should be brought back, even if just to "study" the effects for 50 years or so.

I can already tell you what the effects would be. MF's would stop doing shit like setting their girlfriend on fire cause she pissed him off. And raping and killing kids. I bet there would be alot less gang violence too. But no they needa **** with us cause we're "NRA".

About public executions, maybe not "in the town square". Honestly I don't really thing public executions would serve as a deterrent. Just knowing they'll put you to death quickly inside the prison at Huntsville is a deterrent. Those who still kill probably wouldn't care if they were executed in public or in the prison. I don't think it would be a factor in curbing the violent behavior. But something definitely needs to be done about the fact that these people are taking up all the good air in prison for 20 or so years before being sent on their way. That is some BS.

Last edited:

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I think there is a big assumption in this thread that people who commit horrible crimes are rational people, and thus would be deterred by the possibility of a painful or even humane execution.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I think there is a big assumption in this thread that people who commit horrible crimes are rational people, and thus would be deterred by the possibility of a painful or even humane execution.

You may well be right at that late stage of a career. Just remember I brought up public execution in reference to the beginner thug.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I think the young thug would be the most irrational. Young people think they are bulletproof and that nothing bad will ever happen to them.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    That's why I suggested "studying" it for 50yrs. You're not going to solve/drastically reduce the problem in the first generation of thugs.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I'm saying capitol punishment isn't a deterrent to any level of criminal considering murdering someone. we've had capitol punishment for how long, yet people still murder and see the death cocktail.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'm saying capitol punishment isn't a deterrent to any level of criminal considering murdering someone. we've had capitol punishment for how long, yet people still murder and see the death cocktail.

I can tell you from personal experience that I know PLENTY of people who would kill others if it weren't illegal- and have.

steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    I can tell you from personal experience that I know PLENTY of people who would kill others if it weren't illegal- and have.

Point taken. But those people probably don't commit other crimes that bear lesser penalties because they are mostly law abiding citizens.

I'm not against capitol punishment, but I don't think it's an effective deterrent.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Personally, I think that most of the potential deterrence is lost thanks to the elephantine bureaucracy that is the current prison system, where someone on death row is more likely to die of old age or ill health on the tax payer's dime than to face the needle/chair/rope/gun.

As I said before. If there is absolutely no doubt that a person committed the crime(s) they're accused of (i.e they were caught in the act, knew details that only the killer would know, or kept souvenirs), then let's just put a bullet through their head and throw the corpse into an incinerator. That alone would save tens of millions annually.

Top Bottom