Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are two different kiosks at my local HEB at which I can buy cryptocurrency. I've never done so but I recognize that the concept of crypto is rapidly going mainstream.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Those kiosks, a Visa gift card, and crypto are the perfect tool for money laundering.
    Only at small scale. If you're using public ledger crypto (most of them) and frequenting the same kiosks, you're creating a pattern that's easily identifiable, and a convenient physical location for them to ID and grab you. I bet those kiosks are automatically snitching, and if they aren't they are easily surveilled.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    … I bet those kiosks are automatically snitching, and if they aren't they are easily surveilled.

I wouldn’t make that bet. Look at Herocoin. Operated for 5+ years by a former bank employee who intentionally did not register as a money service business AND knowlingly did not comply with AML requirements while knowingly facilitating money laundering placement of at least $25 million.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wouldn’t make that bet. Look at Herocoin. Operated for 5+ years by a former bank employee who intentionally did not register as a money service business AND knowlingly did not comply with AML requirements while knowingly facilitating money laundering placement of at least $25 million.

well... he got caught

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This thread is as good as any of the 69 other crypto threads to pass this along:

Cryptocurrency-trading giant Binance said the accounting firm it used to verify its reserves has paused all work for crypto clients, hampering efforts to reassure customers that their money is safe…. A spokesman for the accounting firm said it had made the move “due to concerns regarding the way these reports are understood by the public.”

I’m guessing it’s going to get worse….

Probably paywall:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    This thread is as good as any of the 69 other crypto threads to pass this along
    except this thread isn't about crypto...

CBDCs are not the same as cryptocurrency, but central banks love people conflating the two.

...Binance...
    Also if you read the other 69 crypto threads, we've said you can't trust exchanges like eleventy billion times ;)

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    except this thread isn't about crypto...

CBDCs are not the same as cryptocurrency, but central banks love people conflating the two.

Also if you read the other 69 crypto threads, we've said you can't trust exchanges like eleventy billion times ;)
    If Todd is getting stuff conflated, an idiot like me has no chance. My meager mind still says you won't be able to buy anything with it, if there is a financial collapse. You won't be buying any of my guns, ammo, food with bit coin or even cash for that matter. The only person it will have value with is another crypto collector. Good luck with that.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If Todd is getting stuff conflated, an idiot like me has no chance. My meager mind still says you won't be able to buy anything with it, if there is a financial collapse. You won't be buying any of my guns, ammo, food with bit coin or even cash for that matter. The only person it will have value with is another crypto collector. Good luck with that.

It’s less I’m getting stuff conflated and just too lazy to figure out what the right thread is for this item, which is really a lot bigger than folks want to admit.

When a global accounting firm says “we need to take a step back because consumers don’t understand the product”, that’s a blaring risk indicator. More blaring than elevator operators talking about how they were making a killing in the stock market with leveraged assets in the months leading up to Black Friday.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I've said it before, Judge Judy is adamant that nobody keeps "large" amounts of cash at home.

And she's only talking about maybe $2k.

judge-judy.gif

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    To be clear, the various cryptos are marketed as currencies, but are truly unregulated speculative concepts. Not unlike Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs), which sold themselves as venture capital opportunities for everyone. Those things were just junk bond equivalents to turn low interest money into a 10x return.

In hindsight, their results are worse than VC A rounds.

Like everything speculative, there will be a crash; the only question is whether any of it will be too big to fail and yet another taxpayer bailout for retards with not enough sense and too much credit, whether than individuals, funds, or corporations.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom