• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    another day, another moment I have utter disdain for the police.
    There are, estimated, over 65 million contacts between police and citizens every year in the United States.

For arguement sake........
    About 1000 people were shot by police last year. If all of them were bad that means %0.0000153846 were bad encounters.

Of course they weren't all bad.

That's almost statistically insignificant. Of course the numbers of bad shoots are even fewer than that, as are grossly neglect mistakes like the story. Taking into account the job and it's challenges saying that such instances give you utter disdain for the police shows a severe inability to critically evaluate police encounters.

Judge these cops on their actions as you should each individual officer on their mistakes. Judging an entire profession negative based on such a small percentage of negative incidents is the very definition of confirmation bias and a clear sign of cognitive dissonance.

LabRat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    DFW
    Homeowner is/was a dumbass. Why in the the bloody hell would you open your door to a horde of cops while holding a firearm?
    He should of walked out hands up. It would of been figured out after a while.

I'm not sure I'd classify him as a dumbass. Confused and uncertain with a dose of ignorance would be closer.

He may not have understood the people at the door were cops. He had no expectation he'd be the target of a police action. It was nighttime, he may have been asleep and was roused suddenly by activity in the yard and banging on the door. The announcement of "Police" was not very loud, if the video is any indication. With my hearing loss, I might not have heard that through a door. Couple that with his sleepiness and confusion, he just may not have heard them.

Many times criminals impersonate police to get the advantage because folks will open the door to the police. Another note; the cameras show the lights aimed on the house were EXTREMELY bright....no way he could see who was out in the yard. So exiting the house and pointing as gun was a huge mistake on his part. What was he going to shoot at? He couldn't see anything anyway. However, in the end, the homeowner's actions should be viewed through his perception, not the cops.

The police were at the incorrect address and had the correct address. No question. They had the best opportunity to defuse this situation and they failed. Even Domino's can get pizza to the right house. The difference is; the pizza guy ain't gonna shoot you if you get an errant delivery.

There were mistakes on both sides, but the police had the best and final responsibility to ensure their information and actions were correct. They failed by ignoring the obvious errors shown to them. And they should consider gunfire might be an expected outcome of their actions - so the stakes are high. It makes is more incumbent on them to be correct.

Police must get it right....no exceptions. Yeah, their human, but people's lives and their legal status depends on it. The police reputation also hangs in the balance. While not smearing all police; it certainly is not helpful to see incidents like this. It's human nature to extrapolate occurrences and apply them personally.

IMHO, the police had the best opportunity to keep this from happening.

LabRat

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Who doesn't have doorbell cameras by now?
    I don’t and I don’t want one. With the bright lights being trained on the house, a ring camera most likely would have been useless. These Officers need to be punished and be held to the same standard as anyone committing murder. They should damn sure never hold a LE position again.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don’t and I don’t want one. With the bright lights being trained on the house, a ring camera most likely would have been useless. These Officers need to be punished and be held to the same standard as anyone committing murder. They should damn sure never hold a LE position again.
    He had plenty of time to look at the recording before he opened the door, and before the bright lights.

Top Bottom