• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I don’t and I don’t want one. With the bright lights being trained on the house, a ring camera most likely would have been useless. These Officers need to be punished and be held to the same standard as anyone committing murder. They should damn sure never hold a LE position again.
    Knocking on the wrong door isn't murder, it was a mistake by the police.

Coming out of your house with a gun to an unknown threat was also a mistake, and one that the officers thought created a deadly force threat and they responded, which is also not murder.

Does it suck? Yes
    Is it sad? Yes
    Were there mistakes? Yes

Should it happen? No
    Is it criminal? No

Was the bigger mistake knocking on the wrong door or coming outside to an unknown threat gun in hand?

And as far as someone's assertion pizza guys get it right, I've definitely had them knock on my door when I hadn't ordered a pizza (still not murder, in fact no one got shot and only I knew I had a gun)

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Target Sports

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Every time I've been sued, the Deputy Constable showed up early and unannounced. I had no problem opening my door to a single LEO.

Now, if there are lots of bright lights in the middle of the night, accompanied by muffled voices, I'm likely going to be a bit more cautious about opening a door.

But it does seem that stuff like this goes wrong way, way too often. This is just the first example I found. Anyone can find lots more.

Sorry to derail the thread but why were you sued multiple times?

You don't have to answer if it's too personal.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sorry to derail the thread but why were you sued multiple times?

You don't have to answer if it's too personal.
    None of yours or ours business..IMHO
    I think I can accommodate both those viewpoints. :)

Most of the times I've been sued it wasn't a big deal.

I was sued multiple times over the estate of my mother. Another woman of the same name died close to the time my mother died. Anyone with a brain could do just a little digging and figure out they were two different people but it seems that title companies and big real estate investment trusts can't be arsed to spend the two hours looking through county records that it would take to understand the situation.

My mom's estate, of which I was executor, got sued several times. Each time, I'd call up the county or the REIT or whoever, tell them they were suing the wrong people, and come away knowing I'd accomplished nothing. They didn't listen and refused to understand. Each time, the suit would get to a couple of days before court and the county or other party bringing suit would send me some sort of correspondence either showing the court date delayed or the suit dropped. I figure that was about the time an actual lawyer finally looked at the file and realized something was wrong.

It added to my stress for many years but was ultimately a nothingburger. I even got to be friends with the Deputy Constable who served me. We got to the point he'd call me on the phone and tell me he needed to serve me and I'd tell him to leave it under the doormat. He did. He reported proper service and, if it had come down to it, I would have backed him up.

Interestingly, this other woman really did need to have her estate sued to settle several pieces of property she owned in various locations including in townhouse developments that had already been demolished. That other woman's estate was an absolute mess. It was clear that she had spent her life buying residential property, renting it out, using fake names and/or addresses on every legal document, and never paying any tax on anything. She died with no will and none of her kids stepped up to take care of anything in a proper and legal fashion.

I am convinced that to this day, her personal residence was simply taken over by her kids, remains in her name, and no one has paid a penny in tax for maybe two decades. Maybe five. :)

I've been sued for other things but those were job-related and I'd rather not discuss them openly.

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    Policemen are super-dangerous to be around.

In the 80's they would beat me up for fun, steal my booze, and molest my girlfriends, but I never feared that would murder me.

Now I'm very, very afraid of them.

"State Police agents learned that on April 5, 2023, at around 11:30 p.m., the Farmington Police Department received a call for a domestic violence incident occurring at 5308 Valley View Avenue. Officers with the Farmington Police Department responded to the area.

Once on scene, officers mistakenly approached 5305 Valley View Avenue instead of 5308 Valley View Avenue. Officers knocked on the front door of 5305 Valley View Avenue and announced themselves as Farmington police officers.

When there was no answer at 5305, officers asked their dispatch to call the reporting party back and have them come to the front door. Body camera footage shows as the officers backed away from 5305 Valley View Avenue, the homeowner, Robert Dotson, 52, opened the screen door armed with a handgun.

At this point in the encounter, officer(s) fired at least one round from their duty weapon(s) striking Mr. Dotson. After the initial shooting, Mr. Dotson’s wife, also armed with a handgun, fired from the doorway of the residence. Once again, officer(s) fired. Once she realized that the individuals outside the residence were officers, she put the gun down and complied with the officer’s commands.

Mr. Dotson suffered fatal injuries as a result of the shooting and was pronounced deceased at the scene by the Office of the Medical Investigator. Mrs. Dotson, who was uninjured, has not been charged with a crime."

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Already a thread....

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Policemen are super-dangerous to be around.

In the 80's they would beat me up for fun, steal my booze, and molest my girlfriends, but I never feared that would murder me.

Now I'm very, very afraid of them.

I am around cops pretty frequently and while some are better at their job than others, never have I seen or heard of such things happening...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    I am around cops pretty frequently and while some are better at their job than others, never have I seen or heard of such things happening...

Today Policemen in Austin don't beat people for fun, steal from Citizens, and finger 16 year-old girls in handcuffs as much as they did back in the 80's in rural Texas where I lived.

I thank Body Cameras for that, a wonderful invention for both Policemen and Detainees.

I hope you appreciate them. I certainly do.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Several years ago when I was working night shift from our old office in Dallas on Mockingbird Lane, we had a break in while I was in the building alone. Since I work in IT my part of the building contains the main frame and all of the networking equipment so it was highly secured, a windowless room with mag locked doors, the only way in or out was with a key card. My only view of the outside world was a camera on the front door and one at the rear door. The thief broke into the side of the building not covered by the cameras, no alarm was ever heard by me.

At one point in the night I decided to go outside and walk around for a bit to stretch my legs, on exiting I noticed bright lights shining in an office window to my left. I was armed, I quietly walked to the side of the door and took a quick peak. I saw a broken window with bright light shining in, I heard the sound of people talking outside. I had my hand on my gun, I quietly went to the front door and saw three Dallas Police cruisers and several officers standing outside the gate. They saw me, I waved and I then snapped in the code to open the gate for them, they came in and checked my identity and I opened the secure areas of the building so they could clear it and that was that. The alarm scared the thief away and it reset after a while so I never heard it.

At no point did the thought EVER occur to me to enter a darkened room alone to clear it like I was some kind of SWAT agent. At no point did the thought EVER occur to me to enter the room with the broken glass and lights shining inward.

Bottom line, use the weapon between your ears first, a gun second if needed.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Several years ago when I was working night shift from our old office in Dallas on Mockingbird Lane, we had a break in while I was in the building alone. Since I work in IT my part of the building contains the main frame and all of the networking equipment so it was highly secured, a windowless room with mag locked doors, the only way in or out was with a key card. My only view of the outside world was a camera on the front door and one at the rear door. The thief broke into the side of the building not covered by the cameras, no alarm was ever heard by me.

At one point in the night I decided to go outside and walk around for a bit to stretch my legs, on exiting I noticed bright lights shining in an office window to my left. I was armed, I quietly walked to the side of the door and took a quick peak. I saw a broken window with bright light shining in, I heard the sound of people talking outside. I had my hand on my gun, I quietly went to the front door and saw three Dallas Police cruisers and several officers standing outside the gate. They saw me, I waved and I then snapped in the code to open the gate for them, they came in and checked my identity and I opened the secure areas of the building so they could clear it and that was that. The alarm scared the thief away and it reset after a while so I never heard it.

At no point did the thought EVER occur to me to enter a darkened room alone to clear it like I was some kind of SWAT agent. At no point did the thought EVER occur to me to enter the room with the broken glass and lights shining inward.

Bottom line, use the weapon between your ears first, a gun second if needed.

While this is true and good advice, at the same time...if the police officers had only had enough brain cells between them to look at the well lit numbers they were standing beside, listen to the numbers dispatch announced when they verified the address, and come to the simple realization that those numbers weren't the same, none of that would've happened.

Top Bottom