• ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    While this is true and good advice, at the same time...if the police officers had only had enough brain cells between them to look at the well lit numbers they were standing beside, listen to the numbers dispatch announced when they verified the address, and come to the simple realization that those numbers weren't the same, none of that would've happened.

True, I've had two pizzas delivered to the wrong house recently so I guess that's a thing with people now.
    Hurley's Gold

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    True, I've had two pizzas delivered to the wrong house recently so I guess that's a thing with people now.

A pizza's one thing. A freaking entry team is quite another. I'd say we can safely hold the cops to a higher standard, since when the pizza guy screws up death or serious injury isn't a likely outcome. And as has been pointed out, the address was right there beside them, well lit and readable. Sure, the homeowner made a poor decision but ultimate responsibility lies 100% with the gung-ho idiots who can't read an address.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    A pizza's one thing. A freaking entry team is quite another. I'd say we can safely hold the cops to a higher standard, since when the pizza guy screws up death or serious injury isn't a likely outcome. And as has been pointed out, the address was right there beside them, well lit and readable. Sure, the homeowner made a poor decision but ultimate responsibility lies 100% with the gung-ho idiots who can't read an address.

I can't help but wonder if any of those police officers ever worked in Killeen.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    This one is tough. The police started the incident but the police didn't break any laws. An unexpected knock on your door at 11:30pm is scary. Probably not a good idea to throw open the door with a gun ready to go. Before the action started, the police knew they made a mistake. Even so, I can understand why they shot the husband.

I decided a long time ago I won't go outside or open my door to investigate. I'll call the cops and wait. If someone does break into my house, I'll take action. If the husband had done that this story would be very different.

When it comes to the wife, they should have backed off, taken cover, and made contact. I don't think they can justify taking shots at her. She's confused and just watch her husband be shot. I don't blame her for firing back. Maybe not what I would have done but I can't find her at fault.

In summary, I don't think I would find the police criminally liable but I would find them civilly liable.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    No one is 'obligated' to respond to a knock on their door by opening it or even talking through it to a 'knock-ee'..even during the day light hours.

Years ago, we lived in a garden variety sub-division where there was a constant parade of door to door sales and/or survey takers. When they knocked I'd look thru the peep hole and if it was someone I didn't know, I'd go back to what I was doing without responding to their pestiferous knocking.

If it came down to the 'knock-ee' being Law Enforcement...unless they have a search warrant they can hold up to the door glass so I can read it, they too can fk off...

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    A similar scenario happened to me 11 years ago. Ironically in Bell County. I was living in apartment in Killeen with my GF while stationed at "The Great Place". A week prior someone had kicked our door in while we were both at work. Nothing was taken and it was really strange since I had a laptop and a nice TV and several guns in the apartment, and my GF had nice jewelry left out. A big ole boot print on the door upside-down like it was a back stomp. No witnesses, but my neighbor called me when she saw the door. I called the police and filed a report, but they just kept asking me if Bonnie lived there. I told them no several times and asked them why and never got a response.

A week later about 10pm at night someone starts pounding on the door yelling "police open up!" We were sitting on the couch watching TV and I had my Glock 20 on standby on the coffee table. I grabbed it and went to the door. I looked through the peep hole and about 5 officers where out there at the low ready. I gave my gun to my GF and told her to go into the bedroom. I asked them through the door "what do you want?" They just repeated to open the door or else they would force their way in. Knowing I was in a no win situation I complied and opened it. They grabbed me and slammed me down on the floor and cuffed me and stormed in demanding to know where Bonnie was. My GF was also cuffed and we were dragged outside. They looked around and realized there was no fucking Bonnie around. They grilled us for about an hour about this chick and finally realized she lived in the floor below us in apartment 138 not 238. Of course she was long gone at this point. My GF was very upset and so was I. I realized they were the ones who kicked my door in the week prior too. Who else would have done that and not taken anything?

Ever since then I've had a camera set up at my door to a live feed small TV. No internet service just a screen. Now I live on acerage and have a nice fence and steel gate with dogs. If they make it to my door again now then shit has already popped off.

I try my best to be respectful with officers, but sometimes they don't deserve it.

Top Bottom