• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Well, I've thought about this, and well, the first thing I'd do, is pick up 4 or 5 10/22 customs some of the fancy ones. Then I'd go out and buy a bunch of different glocks.

7-8 21's. one for each room of the house
    7-8 17 one for each room of the house.

And a 26.

Then I'd get some CCO Colt 1911's

Then I'd go out and pick up some over unders.
    like a 725 field, and all their competition. Production but nice. Figure out which one I like the best. And get em in 12 and 20's.

Then I'd start shooting skeet ALOT. Custom stuff...

Lastly, and since it would take forever. I'd start working on the NFA stuff. I've ALWAYS wanted a mini gun, an Uzi, and would like to pick up an M4. And let be honest, who wouldn't want a P-51 with functioning guns... shhhh

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Guns
    1) cheytac 375
    2) nice over under rifle
    3) mini gun

Gun related things
    1) Buy huge ranch in Texas to hunt/shoot on
    2) Buy huge ranch somewhere in the mountains to hunt/shoot on
    3) Spend several months in Africa on Safari

Non gun related
    1) Buy plane and hire private pilot to fly the family back and forth between ranches
    2) Hire guide to clean my animals while I chill by the campfire with a ridiculously old scotch and illegal Cuban cigars. Maybe start smoking pot if mountain ranch is in Colorado (j/k).
    3) Hire someone to deal with my phone calls, email, etc. Job description will also include taking memos on what to post to TGT for me and reading responses to me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Fully outfitted nuclear powered aircraft carrier. What would I do with it? Be free...
    That's a liberal interpretation of "You just won the lottery and your wealth is now effectively infinite."

Buy, hey, if you know a lottery that pays off big enough to buy a modern aircraft carrier, let me know. I want to buy a ticket. :)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well you said infinite :laughing:

If I'm limited to only several million I'd start my own 07/02 so I can build any manner of machine guns I want, buy several thousand acres for a "range" and a T-72 to use as my ranch vehicle. Since seeing the video you posted earlier, I'm also going to need a bobbed deuce and a half with that quad .50 mounted on the back. That'll be the grocery getter. Oh, and a metric **** ton of ammo.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I asked the question and I'm having problems with it. For now, this is the best I can come up with.

Guns -

• A pristine, early commercial Thompson with all the trimmings. Mini-guns and heavy weapons are great fun but the tommy gun comes first.
    • A custom bolt pistol for the sport I love best but totally blinged out with 100% engraving coverage. I already have the action.
    • Find and buy the M1 carbine my father carried in WWII; it's probably still out there, somewhere. I can hope it's still out there, right?
    Gun related -

• A ranch, preferably in Texas, with enough space and the right topography for me to build the ranges I want, host the competitions I want, and have a few nice get-togethers.
    • Jet time (I don't need to own one) to fly me to all the competitions and gun shows I'd like to attend all over the world.
    • Set up a foundation to promote youth shooting. I have a concept in mind and it would take a major lottery win just to get it started.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I'd rather be in the field chasing quail, and working dogs...

Pretty much can't be beat....

One of the saddest conversations I ever had was with a former colleague and very good friend who was supremely ambitious, smart, and hardworking. Towards the end of my career, I ran into him outside a courtroom. I hadn't seen him in years and we had one of those "We haven't seen each other in years" 3-minute catch-up conversations. He was still a high-powered lawyer; I was still way behind the scenes. We were both happy in our jobs.

One of the things we had loved to do 20 years before was go to gun shows. It was a couple of weeks before the next HGCA show so I invited him. A kind of sadness descended over his face while an ironic chuckle escaped from his mouth. "Ya know, it used to be that we'd go to shows and have a great time but we couldn't afford to buy anything. I worked a long time to change that. Nowadays, I could buy anything in there without blinking an eye..."

There was a long, reflective pause. It was not like him to brag on his income, so I knew that wasn't what was happening. Then he continued "...but I don't have time to go. It's funny how things worked out. I'll be seeing you, my friend." He shook my hand and left.

The guy had worked non-stop for over 20 years including nights and weekends. He had lost a marriage to his career. Eventually, he bought out the partners of his law firm and was a serious player. He had obviously achieved "success" to anyone who looked at him.

And he was so sad.

Happy ending, though.

I ran into him again about 5 years later. There was an amazing change. He had essentially retired. Over the last several years, he had prepared his clients, streamlined his practice, then sold it. He took just 3 clients with him into retirement. According to him, he had to come to Houston about a week every quarter to take care of those three clients. Other than that, he had bought a fairly large spread up around Texarkana. I asked him what he was doing these days and his reply was "Anything I want and mostly nothing. And that's the way I like it."

To hear Mr. Ambitious say those words was shocking and more than a little gratifying at the same time.

Said all that to say this - That's why I asked a two part question. Sure, I'm fascinated by what people initially acquire when they suddenly have a few hundred million dollars and no need to work. That's a stock question for interviewing lottery winners asked by every brain-dead reporter who's ever had to do such a story.

But the second half, asking what people would "do" beyond what they would "have" is much more interesting.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Unlimited funds?

I'd open a new factory that made exact reproductions of classic firearms.
    1895 Winchester? Ok.
    Lewis Gun? Ok.
    1903 Springfield? Ok.
    Etc etc etc

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    One of the saddest conversations I ever had was with a former colleague and very good friend who was supremely ambitious, smart, and hardworking. Towards the end of my career, I ran into him outside a courtroom. I hadn't seen him in years and we had one of those "We haven't seen each other in years" 3-minute catch-up conversations. He was still a high-powered lawyer; I was still way behind the scenes. We were both happy in our jobs.

One of the things we had loved to do 20 years before was go to gun shows. It was a couple of weeks before the next HGCA show so I invited him. A kind of sadness descended over his face while an ironic chuckle escaped from his mouth. "Ya know, it used to be that we'd go to shows and have a great time but we couldn't afford to buy anything. I worked a long time to change that. Nowadays, I could buy anything in there without blinking an eye..."

There was a long, reflective pause. It was not like him to brag on his income, so I knew that wasn't what was happening. Then he continued "...but I don't have time to go. It's funny how things worked out. I'll be seeing you, my friend." He shook my hand and left.

The guy had worked non-stop for over 20 years including nights and weekends. He had lost a marriage to his career. Eventually, he bought out the partners of his law firm and was a serious player. He had obviously achieved "success" to anyone who looked at him.

And he was so sad.

Happy ending, though.

I ran into him again about 5 years later. There was an amazing change. He had essentially retired. Over the last several years, he had prepared his clients, streamlined his practice, then sold it. He took just 3 clients with him into retirement. According to him, he had to come to Houston about a week every quarter to take care of those three clients. Other than that, he had bought a fairly large spread up around Texarkana. I asked him what he was doing these days and his reply was "Anything I want and mostly nothing. And that's the way I like it."

To hear Mr. Ambitious say those words was shocking and more than a little gratifying at the same time.

Said all that to say this - That's why I asked a two part question. Sure, I'm fascinated by what people initially acquire when they suddenly have a few hundred million dollars and no need to work. That's a stock question for interviewing lottery winners asked by every brain-dead reporter who's ever had to do such a story.

But the second half, asking what people would "do" beyond what they would "have" is much more interesting.

Your message has hit home with me sir... I used to be that starry-eyed kid at all of the gun shows drooling over the piles of coolness, thinking to myself "one day, I'll be able to afford these"... and now I can, but I work 80-90 hours a week, weekends and nights included, and it has caused stress on my family life. I hope I don't end up like your friend. My family is everything to me. You've inspired me to hire an employee. Seriously... I need to get out more... The past two years of my life spent growing this business have gone by so quickly - my 12 year old little girl that used to come beg me to go practice shooting or knife throwing is now 14 and spends all of her time in her room listening to music and playing on the internet. What have I done...

Top Bottom