Your hometown history?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Shorts, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    This morning I'm talking to a friend and got to talking about the snow, then the Hill Country. That prompted me to google my hometown and now I'm all homesick :rofl: While I claim Corpus as my home now, it is the second half of my life. The first half, my foundation of who I am and why I am who I am, Karnes City which is the county seat for Karnes County is home. The county was named after Henry Karnes who was a soldier in the Texas Revolution.

What I appreciate most is that Texas History was such a significant part of our education. The surrounding area, the places, the towns the people...that is definitely what makes Texans Texans. I'm proud.

Karnes County, Texas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stockFD3S

stockFD3S Active Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
  3. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Dalhart, Tx. Home of the XIT Rodeo and Reunion. Name comes from the 2 counties it straddles, Dallam and Hartley. It is the county seat for Dallam. It has the world's largest free bbq during the Rodeo (1st weekend in August). Had 3 airforce bases during WWII where they trained B-52 pilots/crew. One crew accidently "bombed" (it was a dud) Boise City, Ok.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dalhart, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thibodaux (Tib-uh-doe), Louisiana. Parish seat of Lafourche (Luh-foosh) Parish. Population ~14,000. 60 miles southwest of New Orleans. Incorporated in 1830. This is sugarcane country.

One of the most interesting, and probably least known events in Louisiana history, is the Thibodaux Massacre of 1887. It is supposedly the second most bloody labor dispute in U.S. history. The Knights of Labor (union) organized a strike against sugarcane growers for higher wages for the (mostly black) labor force. Tensions escalated, and on Nov. 23, 1887, with the state militia having been called in, the situation turned bloody. Some accounts say up to 300 black strikers were killed.

5. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    St. Petersburg, Florida

[​IMG]

St. Pete is famous for lots of things...
    Home of the American League Champion, Tampa Bay Rays
    Home of some of the best rated beaches in the world.
    Home of the fist commercial airline flight....

6. malladus

malladus Active Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Nice satellite image of the ole hometown:

[​IMG]

and one of the more famous landmarks:

[​IMG]

7. Joat

Joat Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    [​IMG] BRAT

Hard to have a home town when you move every 1 - 3 years.

I was 11 before I found out that not everybody did a PCS and moved every other summer or so.

Joat

8. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
  9. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I reckon the AAF didn't realize they had B52s in inventory during WWII. Woulda used them in combat and not training!

10. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    :happy0001: Got folks from all around!