• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Since the wife and I are starting to talk about vacation again, just curious what everyone considers to be their ideal vacation destination.

Does anyone have a destination that they've already been to that stands out as your "once in a lifetime" experience?
    Would love to see a picture or 2 of these destinations if you want to share them.
    My wife and I have been fortunate enough to have had an experience that classifies, for us, as a "once in a lifetime" vacation but we are ready to try for a second.

Truth be told, we prefer warm weather, warm clear water, sandy beaches, and most of all, seclusion.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Long Bay resort, Tortola, British Virgin Islands.

It took me a day to slow down to "island time", but the best and most relaxing place i have ever been.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Calm banks of the Colorado river. Oak trees, catfish, gar rolling in the morning. Open fire pit at night. And cell phones don't work.

That was a wonderful place.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Weminuche Wilderness is best ive seen.

098c88857a575c5dfe0eedcfadbbb969.jpg

a73d9de71568bd82b13bf9ef6b82bbf8.jpg

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    no place near the ocean, no beaches, no cruise ships, no people

I prefer a secluded cabin in the Rockies,about 8500 ft elevation, mid fall, Aspen leaves are orange to golden yellow, a brisk breeze makes them sing a wonderful melody no orchestra can duplicate. Trout fishing in a mountain lake, the sounds of Elk bugling off in the distance, fire pit at night, hot coffee, and the stars in the clear sky so close you could reach out and grab one.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A friend of mine is a world traveler. He spends about 6 months a year not at home, living in some far flung corner of the Earth doing research.

He has told me his favorite place on Earth is the Hudson River valley in New York. Ive never been up to the NE.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Time of year would be a major consideration, as would be how much money I have to spend, how many days off work I can get, who's gonna watch the house and pets, etc...

For a budget vacation, you can't beat Vegas. Cheap air fares, cheap car rental, cheap hotels off the strip, Clark County shooting range, lots of sights to see, and of course, penny slots and gaming!

Been to Hawaii twice, and will never go back (first time --1989-- was "vacation" and the second --2014--, a family visit). Exorbitant prices, lazy work force, a big fuggin' "so-what" volcano on the Big Island, bitter coffee, and horrible traffic on Oahu. Don't care much for their signature Spam and Pineapple Cuisine either.

A trip to the Vicksburg, MS Battlefield or to Gettysburg, PA would make an interesting trip, especially if you get there without use of the Interstates. The cost of fuel and lodging sure beats airfare to and high-dollar hotels at "resorts." Just traveling some of America's Parkways is most enjoyable: Blue Ridge Parkway, Natchez Trace Parkway, among others, offer a view of America most people have never seen.

Take a vacation in the USA off the beaten path + Vegas.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    There's many places that we would like to see in the US but I figure there's time for that once we can no longer tolerate long airplane rides. We prefer to travel when the weather in the US is cold and crappy.

If the airport is larger than this, the destination isn't secluded enough for our tastes.

IMG_0118.gif

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    American Basin, Colorado. There are summer days when only a few people lay eyes on this scenery as it is not easy to get to. (Probably a lot of days in the winter when no one sees it.)

If you like taking to the trails in an 4x4 and seeing things that are off the beaten path this is a good destination. We usually camp out a night, hotel a night, camp a night, etc. Like to use Ouray as our base. But will usually spend a night in Lake City during the trip.

The Alpine Loop is usually our first off road trek. Colorado Scenic Byway: Alpine Loop | Colorado.com. A trip into American Basin, and the hike up to the lake is the highpoint of that trip. We don't drive it in a single day, but prefer to spend a night in one of the park service campsites on the way.

After returning to Ouray, we like to take day trips to Telluride. Usually start with the easiest off road trail up the Ophir Pass route. Then advance to the Imogene pass route if conditions are good and we are feeling like some excitement. One year was able to take the Black Bear Pass into Telluride, this is a definitely make sure you poop before leaving as the pucker factor is strong on this one. If you get to town, and spend time there, there are always paved roads you can take back to avoid the mountain trails at night if you want.

Silverton and Durango are more tourist destinations we like to hit for the shops, plus the drives there are outstanding. Pack lunches and plan on eating out in nature along the trail while you explore old mines, abandoned silver towns, etc. Don't be afraid to get into the water, it is better than a cup of coffee in the morning to wake you up. Avoid late summer, got caught out one night and got colder than we wanted. The dogs water bowl outside the tent froze solid!

Ouray Hot Springs Pool is fun. (Clothing optional at Orvis Hot Springs Resort Located in Ridgway Colorado if you into that)

You don't need specialized rock crawling jeeps to do these trails, a good 4x4 SUV, Jeep, or truck is fine. You can also drive the family sedan or mini van up there and then rent jeeps, 4 wheelers, motorcycles or horses to ride the same trails on.

Ouray is also the gateway to Galt's Gulch, if you find that let me know as I will head up asap.

Not my picture, one copied off the internet, but this is what you will see.

114621.jpg

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    American Basin, Colorado. There are summer days when only a few people lay eyes on this scenery as it is not easy to get to. (Probably a lot of days in the winter when no one sees it.)

If you like taking to the trails in an 4x4 and seeing things that are off the beaten path this is a good destination. We usually camp out a night, hotel a night, camp a night, etc. Like to use Ouray as our base. But will usually spend a night in Lake City during the trip.

The Alpine Loop is usually our first off road trek. Colorado Scenic Byway: Alpine Loop | Colorado.com. A trip into American Basin, and the hike up to the lake is the highpoint of that trip. We don't drive it in a single day, but prefer to spend a night in one of the park service campsites on the way.

After returning to Ouray, we like to take day trips to Telluride. Usually start with the easiest off road trail up the Ophir Pass route. Then advance to the Imogene pass route if conditions are good and we are feeling like some excitement. One year was able to take the Black Bear Pass into Telluride, this is a definitely make sure you poop before leaving as the pucker factor is strong on this one. If you get to town, and spend time there, there are always paved roads you can take back to avoid the mountain trails at night if you want.

Silverton and Durango are more tourist destinations we like to hit for the shops, plus the drives there are outstanding. Pack lunches and plan on eating out in nature along the trail while you explore old mines, abandoned silver towns, etc. Don't be afraid to get into the water, it is better than a cup of coffee in the morning to wake you up. Avoid late summer, got caught out one night and got colder than we wanted. The dogs water bowl outside the tent froze solid!

Ouray Hot Springs Pool is fun. (Clothing optional at resort in nearby Ridgeway if you into that)

You don't need specialized rock crawling jeeps to do these trails, a good 4x4 SUV, Jeep, or truck is fine. You can also drive the family sedan or mini van up there and then rent jeeps, 4 wheelers, motorcycles or horses to ride the same trails on.

Ouray is also the gateway to Galt's Gulch, if you find that let me know as I will head up asap.

Not my picture, one copied off the internet, but this is what you will see.

114621.jpg

Very cool, that's NE of my pix.

I hiked for 8 days in the Weminuche. Left Durango on a steam train and it dropped us off at the trail head. Got picked up again on the steam train 8 days later.

Spent most of our time between 9,000-12,000 feet. Unreal beautiful.

Hiking at 12,000 is pretty hilarious due to the low oxygen levels.

I almost moved to Colorado instead of Texas, but this is a much better political climate and economy here.

Top Bottom