• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    TXAZ- Inexpensive is always good.

My idea of vacation is NOT sitting in some marble palace. We prefer to pay for the location, not the sleeping quarters.
    ARJ Defense ad

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Since the wife and I are starting to talk about vacation again, just curious what everyone considers to be their ideal vacation destination.

Does anyone have a destination that they've already been to that stands out as your "once in a lifetime" experience?
    Would love to see a picture or 2 of these destinations if you want to share them.
    My wife and I have been fortunate enough to have had an experience that classifies, for us, as a "once in a lifetime" vacation but we are ready to try for a second.

Truth be told, we prefer warm weather, warm clear water, sandy beaches, and most of all, seclusion.
    Get a cabin in Concan. Pack supplies for as long as you'll be there. You can call around and see if you can set up a hunt if your into that. Maybe it's not a once in a lifetime thing, but it could be a once a year tradition.

I'm needing to get around the rest of the south sometime soon. Planning on bringing the wife and staying around baton rouge, and Atlanta, and hopefully staying at a cabin by a lake somewhere.

I don't know about you but my wife and I like staying near water in cabins. We're not cold weather people. We're not gamblers. We really like Louisiana because of the wildlife. Concan is quiet the water is clear and cold. It's beautiful, rugged, Texas.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I would not even know where to begin. I have driven the entire coastline of the US, much of it in both directions, all of the Eastern seaboard and PCH from Mexican border to British Columbia. There are so many off the tourist road places I cannot begin to tell you which one. Do the Lobster trail up thru Maine and hit the tiny towns that raise money for the Volunteer fire depts by doing all you can eat Lobster for $10 bucks a head, but its not on the tourist map, further S the same thing only its Oysters. Florida is harder to find seclusion, but on the W side along the lower Gulf. Then of course Ca, more hidden beaches than one can count, especially N of SF, but bring your hiking boots to get to the beach. The Or coast and Wa State at the very S point an incredible motel, fireplace in the room on the beach not expensive at all. Use to spend nearly every weekend there when I lived in Seattle and of course the N section to the Canada border.

Coast of Italy, Greece, France and Spain...Get off the tourist trail, hit the small towns and enjoy.

If you love the beach like I do, then those same hidden gems are still there in the winter time at prices that can drop your jaw. I used to stay in the White Barn Inn in Kennebunk, Maine in a suite. Tourist season it was $450 a night, I would run up there after some of the computer conferences in mid winter in Boston and spend a few days there for $110 a night, walk in price. I love the beaches in the winter, many that do not allow vehicle traffic in season allow you to drive the beaches in the winter. Some cheese, smoked sausage and a bottle of wine while parked on the beach as another cold front comes in makes for some warm times with the one you love or the one you are with.

My travels have taken me around the globe and most of the time I was single with no family to fly home to so I got to see a lot. All I can say is most of it is nice...you can skip Puerto Rico, here is my trip report ( War Story ):

Puerto Rico, 10 days, off the beaten path.

From the movie Casablanca, the scene: Rick (Bogart) and the Chief of Police are walking across the tarmac at the end of the movie.
    CoP: Rick, what brings you to Casablanca?
    Rick: The water!
    CoP: The water, this is a desert, we don't have any water here.
    Rick: I guess I was misinformed.

Background:
    I hook up with an old running buddy from the 60's, Viet Nam. We find each other 40+ years later and decide to head out to some place we haven't been to talk about old times, Nam, do some SCUBA diving, chase some women and general good time. So we pick PR where neither of us have been.

The plan:
    The plan is to travel completely around the island coming back to San Juan the day before departure. No timetable and stay in a different place every night. Back in my head I am also eyeing a place to retire so I want to get out of the tourist beat and into the island.

PR:
    Long rectangular pinto bean shaped island with the Atlantic on the North and the Caribbean on the South and a 4-5k foot mountain range running east-west in the middle. Cool breezes blow from the North, no ac needed. Tropical rain Forrest on north side of island. South calm water, hotter ‘n hell and a Tropical dry Forrest. Different as day and night. Beaches are rare. Only a few beaches scattered around the island and they are just OK at best and dirt ugly at the worst.

The adventure:

Arrive mid afternoon pickup rental Jeep and head east, plan is to keep water on left and steering wheel to the right. We stop at one of the few beaches and have dinner at a small row of eating/drinking establishments. ‘Bout 60 of them, all in a row. Sorta reminds me of "coke stands" on the road to Saigon. We eat a decent meal of Red Snapper (imported from somewhere else) and with bellies full we decide to walk on down the row to view the happenings and night life.

I notice up ahead that a car is rolling into another car, I mention that the people don't seem to care about a minor dent. We walk upon the car, engine running and 2 guys setting in it. I look in the window to see the 2 guys with bullet holes in forehead...no wonder they weren't concerned, they already had all the headache they could handle, guess a dent in the fender was the least of their worries. Soon a crowd gathers and from what little Spanish I understand it seemed that it was a drug deal gone bad and some jealously over some PR queen called Maria.

The Food:
    PR’s don't like PR food, they eat mostly Burger King, Mickey D's, KFC and Churches fried chicken. Can't blame them for not liking PR food. However around the tourist areas you will see a few places selling a PR meal called Fomongo. It tastes like it sounds! There is a local chain called "Taco Maker", yea, I thought it was real original too. {Being a Texas boy and eating in lots of TexMex, when you order the waiter usually asks, "beef or chicken?"} So I order some tacos, and I naturally think I hear the little gal say "beef or chicken". Of course I say "beef", she sez "No", "Meat or chicken". Isn't the "meat" "beef", she sez "No". I went for it and after eating it I'm not sure what it was...but think it could be Iguana, which is PR for roadkill. PR also has something they throw in for most meals kinda of a mashed potatoes type of thing...kinda looks/tastes like something that squirted out the ass end of the Iguana I ran over on the way to Taco Maker.
    Recommendation: Eat at Burger King… with them!

Driving:
    In a word, DON'T! They have one rule of the road, there are no rules. I personally enjoyed driving over there, any direction, any speed, lights mean nothing and you can park anyplace! I have driven all over the world and I have NEVER seen anything like it. Few roads are marked and would be a Postman's nightmare in anyplace but PR.

Culture:
    Stress related disease is most likely nonexistent or the Postman would have blown them all away by now. Don't come to be in a rush, cause it ain't gonna happen here. Heck, 911 is an operator assisted call.

People:
    Women: Head snappin, eye poppin foaming at the mouth good looking. On scale of 1- 10, there are 1's and 10's but NOTHING in-between. The gals have more curves than the Bill Klinton Hiway coming out of Little Rock. They buy their jeans in spray cans. Its wear n wash, they wear'um and have to wash them off. They are cute, friendly and love Jerry Springer (huh?). The gals are built like they are 25, look 15 and are all 30. Sadly much like our ears and nose continues to grow all of our lives so do there curves and by the time they are 35 they look like watermelons with arms and legs. That and when they start having kids they don't stop until Julio can't get it up anymore (maybe cause its like screwing a watermelon).

Men. Not observed other than the 2 dead ones.

Recommendation:
    Go if you can get cheap ticks, REAL CHEAP
    Go for the coffee, Alta Grande (worlds best, its what the Pope drinks).

Don't go for the SCUBA diving.

The scene: Don and the Chief of Police are walking across the tarmac, San Juan Airport at the end of the adventure.
    CoP: Don, what brings you to Puerto Rico?
    Don: The beaches!
    CoP: The bietches, we don't have any bietches here.
    Don: I guess I was misinformed.

img_1710_med.jpg

Island of Ibiza, Spain, secluded beach we found...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Favorite vacation was Alaska. We spent about two weeks going all over the place, but in reality we only barely scratched the surface. My favorite part of the trip was I hired a plane to fly us out to the remote "cabin" on a lake. The "cabin" was essentially a wooden frame wrapped with a tarp, but it was awesome. We spent three days there and we could have spent more.

second favorite vacation was to UT, but we drove so we could stop in NM and CO as well. I enjoyed driving my pickup all over and being able to take my dog with us. I've lived in CO and like it a lot, but UT was new to me. Moab is like visiting another planet. I want to go back and spend more time there. The Sundance/Heeber Valley area is absolutely farking beautiful. We rented a cottage that cost less than a nice hotel room, but was much nicer. Stewart falls was short hike up form the cottage.

MT is next on the list...

Alaska plane drop:
    4781007212_166e357137_b.jpg

Moab:
    9505590095_bfa717e067_b.jpg

Stewart falls:
    9508125062_91486da989_b.jpg

CO
    9505262805_e4d593bd02_b.jpg

9505618647_9972373d03_b.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant