Target Sports

Your road rage stories? How do you handle it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Sticks and stones will get you shot, but words (and birds) will never hurt me.

OT-but hey lets step this thread down a notch-
    We had an ancient wiener dog along with the other weiner dog and Dad's old Mountain dog for years. He was 8 lbs of old man rage (so think tiny, old wiener dog with bad eyesight and hearing). There was one time I heard him bark (he didn't bark. When he did he was usually in trouble).

Quickly went out and noticed the mountain dog was standing over him-I mean literally over him (he was so small it was like an elephant standing over a cat) and growling looking up. I followed LOS and there was a vulture about tree height right above us. The mountain dog was protecting him. Moral of the story: if the bird is big enough, it can hurt you. Best to have a shotgun at all times. ;)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    if the bird is big enough...
    big_bird_flip_bird.jpg

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Interpretation of law by making "universal statements" is always interesting, but flawed. Fun for the internetz though. As ancient Yoda would say: "rely on them not, you should." ;)

EDIT: if this sounds hostile it is not meant to, but these are issues of criminal law. While they may be discussed it is important to remember, if you have a criminal law question, be sure to consult criminal counsel (but I repeat myself heh heh) on how to proceed in the Real World (TM).
    I'm not claiming to be a lawyer or an expert on law, but those are very plainly stated laws. It doesn't take a lawyer to read something stated in plain English. The fact is, you cannot provoke a fight and then claim self defense unless you retreat, and giving someone the bird can be considered provocative.

It's simple. Don't be an ass to strangers, and it becomes a non issue.

Going forward-don't give the finger to someone. It helps avoid the conflict and issues of provocation become irrelevant.

This is the only point I'm arguing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I'm not claiming to be a lawyer or an expert on law, but those are very plainly stated laws. It doesn't take a lawyer to read something stated in plain English. The fact is, you cannot provoke a fight and then claim self defense unless you retreat, and giving someone the bird can be considered provocative.
    We disagree. The definition of provoked with will come from statute and case law, as well as the trier of fact. After all grandma giving someone the finger doesn't obviate her right to self defense.

It's simple. Don't be an ass to strangers, and it becomes a non issue.
    Agreed! The secondary issue is really the primary one! Don't intentionally act like an ass and these types of things help to be avoided. As I have acted like an ass in the past, I can vouch for it.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Maverick is laying down a Penal smack down in here.

It's almost obscene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not only that, he's been beating TXI to the punch every time.

Come on TXI, you're slipping man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

casp625

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    To be fair, I don't think that giving someone the bird provokes another to do anything. If someone is driving reckless and you happen to pull up to the light next to them and you yell "learn to drive buddy!" and he tries to attack you, would you lose your right to defense under Chapter 9?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The finger is free speech. The laws that codify some sort of provocation with language or features are utter bullshit morally.

You never have a right to assault someone just because if something they say to you or the finger.

If I was on a jury I would definitely nullify those BS laws in my consideration of the verdict.

Do you hear me Tarrant County? Don't pick me for jury duty! ha ha

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I don't see how the finger defense to aggression as a provocation stops anything actually. I can stand next to you and give you the finger. If you then batter me you are committing a criminal act, not I.

Well giving them the bird, while still in your vehicle - I don't see how that could suspend any rights. Neither party has the right to self defense at that point. In the chain of facts presented we would still be several steps from SD. After all this is in the vehicle and both vehicles are moving (no one is fighting or threatening battery-even with the vehicle).

Now if as a result of A giving B the finger, if B then cuts off A or threatens A, thats further along the chain of facts and self defense would be based on those actions then. To that point A has not committed battery, etc.

but as noted, while legally it might not mean anything, if A does it A is aggravating the situation-there is no good outcome of it.

Top Bottom