• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Winkler for a bespoke ‘hawk, Lagana VTAC for a classic, battle proven design, Estwing has one, but it’s a bit heavy for my taste.

Avoid the Gerber and other skeleton blade ‘hawks since that design creates it’s own problems if you hit something not quite right.

TheCanadianOne

Before anything.....Coffee first!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Houston
    Winkler for a bespoke ‘hawk, Lagana VTAC for a classic, battle proven design, Estwing has one, but it’s a bit heavy for my taste.

Avoid the Gerber and other skeleton blade ‘hawks since that design creates it’s own problems if you hit something not quite right.
    At one point I thought about the 5.11 peacemaker tomahawks but usually lean towards the traditional styles. I've always been intrigued with the Winkler hawks on account of the Jack Carr novels but I can't justify putting down that amount of money at the moment.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Always good to have a few handy...

tlam.jpg

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    At one point I thought about the 5.11 peacemaker tomahawks but usually lean towards the traditional styles. I've always been intrigued with the Winkler hawks on account of the Jack Carr novels but I can't justify putting down that amount of money at the moment.
    Get a S&W extraction tool.
    It's bad ass and you can feel it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I do not have a tomahawk but I do have a nice hatchet, or is it an axe! It has a handle about half to two thirds the size of a standard axe, a nice heavy head and was made in Sweden.It came to me from my NY Gun Forum Secret Santa in 2017, what a nice gift considering all that the Santa's were required to spend was a minimum of $20.00 on whatever gift they purchased.

1692249374595.jpeg

Any way, I have that, recently also had a hatchet too but gave it to my son, have a couple or few machetes around the house, and have some excellent knives. I could use any of them defensively if need be and if in desperation. I say that last because I have no formal training in how to use bladed weapons and would have to be pretty desperate to use one considering the guns around here. Yet, I figure I could use that axee if need be and imagine most of the strikes would be similar to baton strikes (and I was well trained in how to use batons as a weapon) as would be blocking an assailant or his weapon with one. Tomahawks, look cool but if I had to us an axe type weapon, then one like what I have would be what I would prefer over a tomahawk. It is heavier but not too heavy to use in a fight, bigger so offers the ability to use as a blocker and allows the holder to remain at a bit further distance, and I think would be as easy or maybe even easier to control than a tomahawk in a hand to hand combat. It probably would be better at cutting firewood and for larger tasks like cutting down trees too.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Full tang is gonna transfer the impact shock right down into your hand - unless it's got a pretty good shock-absorbing grip.

Some of that is right tool for the right job. Using a tomahawk as to split a cord of oak would not be the right job, but slash pruning/clearing is a whole different story.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Some of that is right tool for the right job. Using a tomahawk as to split a cord of oak would not be the right job, but slash pruning/clearing is a whole different story.

I was thinking more in line with a tomahawk's original purpose - as a weapon. Traditionally the blade has an eye for the wood handle, as the handle is considered expendable.

Switzer tomahawk.jpg

Top Bottom