Yugo SKS ??? thoughts and opinions

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by 89lxcoupe351w, Jul 25, 2008.

1. 89lxcoupe351w

89lxcoupe351w New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    TAYLOR , TX
    so i have this posted in pistols too, but for the pistols i have questions about, but, here is the situation, i have never heard of this brand, i have a friend that wants to trade me for this, i need to know what its worth, and any opinions yall have about them, any info is appreciated

2. ctxpta

ctxpta New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    Yugo

You should be able to find a good Yugo for 200-300 most days. I enjoy the 2 that I have for a 25-100 yard plinker.

3. woulf

woulf New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    They're ok. Good for plinking, storing, truck.. Just be aware of what you remove/add if you choose to do so. (Silly ATF thing);)

4. 50calRay

50calRay Active Member

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Yugo isn't a brand name per say, it's short for Yugoslavia a county next to Romania and Hungray...or near Italy. Anyhow, the SKS is simular to the AK in more than one way. They both have a lot of knocks offs on the markets and some are better than others. The Yugo SKS is a nice variant of the SKS rifle.

5. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    SKSs are fun to shoot.I have had three and all were reliable and affordable.Too bad the days of $100 SKS rifles is gone.

6. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

If you want some good info on the SKS go to www.sksboards.com
    lots of good folks there also.

7. 89lxcoupe351w

89lxcoupe351w New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    TAYLOR , TX
    thanks guys, i kinda figured what yall said, not to expensive, ana an ok entry level gun i guess, how old are these usually

what do you mean by this

8. Shiner Bock

Shiner Bock Member

Apr 30, 2008
    DFW
    Here's a good starting point to some reading on this rifle. Check out the many article links on the right hand side.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Cabela's has racks of 59/66's for $230. You can get them for a little less online.

9. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

I have one that was built in 1972 and was unissued and now has about
    100 hundred rds threw it. Its a fun rifle to shoot an is very acurate with
    the iron sites.

10. 50calRay

50calRay Active Member

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about compliance parts...BATF's artical 922(r). The BATF has laws that govern imported firearms into the US. The main one is 9rr which breaks a firearm down in to "X" amount of parts. I'm not sure about an SKS but an AK 47 is 16 parts. In order for an AK to be legal, it has to have something like 6 US made parts on it. Replacing any of these 6 US made parts with orginal forigen parts would place the gun in violation of artical 922(r). Which puts you at odds with the ATF. There really isn't anything to worry about when you buy from a dealer. All their imported firearms complies with all BATF rules. He's simply suggesting becareful of private sales. People tend to install what ever not knowing or caring about the law.

Here is a link on some info posted on an SKS board:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=27678.0

Anyhow, I would look into an AK47 my self ;)