Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Ruger AR (allegedly).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allegedly? Is it or ain't it?

You've asked a question of a complexity on par with "What is the nature of good and evil?".

For simplicity, and given a scenario of defensive shooting, or hunting of big game, your probably best served setting up the rifle for the "point blank" or "minute of man" (Battle Sight Zero - BZO) sight-in for the maximum distance you expect to engage targets. Use an online ballistics calculator and plug in your acceptable target size (impact diameter), caliber, projectile velocity, projectile ballistic coefficient, and mechanical offset (sight height above bore axis). This will give you the zero distance necessary to enable you to hold the same sight picture for all targets within a given range (no hold over/under) and still impact the target with acceptable accuracy - BZO.

Once zeroed, your point of impact will be below point of aim from the muzzle to your zero distance, above your point of aim between your zero distance and the second crossing of the projectile across your point of aim, and once more below your point of aim beyond that second crossing and falling fast after that. This means that in order to actually hit a target smaller than your selected target size, you must hold over the target between the muzzle and your zero distance, UNDER the target between the zero distance and secondary projectile, and then over the target again for distances beyond the secondary crossing.

You can develop "dope" (observed data specific to your weapon/round) in order to compensate (change your point of aim) for the hold-over/under requirements for a precise point of impact, or simply zero for your rifle/round and hold the same sight picture for all distances knowing your point of impact is within acceptable limits.

If you want a quick and dirty version, zero it at 25 meters and it'll be within "minute of man" out to about 300 meters. Use yards instead of meters if you're a marine :)

Elementary video explanation:

Ballistics calculator: https://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/#!/

Understand this is a small fraction of the variables and forces involved, but will get you on your way.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Besides a scope to check the target, are there any other things I will need? I’ve seen people using slings, but I’m not sure if that would be overkill for someone like me just starting out. And shooting from the prone position, will I need something to rest the rifle on? I’m sure these sound like dumb questions, but that’s just how green I really am!

Points for honesty. Here’s a real detailed method to get your started.

https://www.armystudyguide.com/cont...guide_topics/m16a2/zero-and-m16a2-rifle.shtml

Prone is preferred, as that should be the most stable shooting position. Outside of that many ranges will have bags or a sled available to checkout or rent. The bags are for the fore end of the rifle to rest on.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The bags are for the fore end of the rifle to rest on.
    You have never seen rear rifle bags in use? This is the type I have used for 30+ years.
    iu.jpeg

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
      iu.jpeg
      38.6 KB · Views: 500

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Just got home from the range. What a blast! I decided I was overthinking everything, and just went to the 25 yard lane, and took 4-5 shots and then made adjustments. Did that until I could hit where I wanted. Only took a few times then I just had fun. Shot a hundred rounds through it. Now I get to learn the next step, cleaning!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Just got home from the range. What a blast! I decided I was overthinking everything, and just went to the 25 yard lane, and took 4-5 shots and then made adjustments. Did that until I could hit where I wanted. Only took a few times then I just had fun. Shot a hundred rounds through it. Now I get to learn the next step, cleaning!

angry-kid.jpg

Attachments

• angry-kid.jpg
      angry-kid.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 229
    Top Bottom