• ...and so much more!
  • RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    For my wife's carry weapon

Used kimber ultra carry 2, w crimson trace, 400ish rd count, 2009 build date, 45acp

Or

EMP 9mm, NIB

Let's say same price, what's your choice

sent from my cell phone, far far away
    Gun Zone Deals

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I think a lot will depend on her comfort level. They're both about the same size, so if the .45 round doesn't bother her, I'd go with that simply because it will deliver a larger projectile down-range. Ya don't want someone thinkin' you didn't give 'em everything you could.<G>

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I think a lot will depend on her comfort level. They're both about the same size, so if the .45 round doesn't bother her, I'd go with that simply because it will deliver a larger projectile down-range. Ya don't want someone thinkin' you didn't give 'em everything you could.<G>
    ^^^^ this kimber all da way, sides when you pistol whip them do so with a 1911!!!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why are you choosing HER carry gun? It's really a personal preference, especially for women, so I would recommend having her choose one on her own.

I would have her try these guns out, or at least have her attempt to manipulate them first. 3" 1911's have a tendency to be extremely stiff, highly sprung guns, as a matter of function. A lot of people have problems racking the slide on these guns, and it's kind of pointless to have it as a defensive gun if she can't even manipulate it reliably.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Well I'm finding the gun, cuz she s to busy saving sick people , cancer nurse

I'm a gun head, she just wants a gun

She can rack my 1911, and has fondled them again the stores. She also took a girl gun class recently, and showed her how to rack pretty much any gun. I would never have thought that cuz I'm a guy. Hold the slide, rack the lower receiver forward.

I enjoy looking for guns, she enjoys looking for shoes

sent from my cell phone, far far away

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When my two daughters lived at home before they grew up, one would have thought both of them and my wife tested shoe comfort for a living. They would by shoes on sale for $40-$50, wear them for a month or two, then sell them in a garage sale for $5, and keep the five dollars. I asked them once if it would be OK for me to just give them the $5 and not go through all that. Didn't get a pleasant answer!:rolleyes:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The comment about you wife picking out a pistol for her is a valid point. If the gun doesn't fit her and she is not comfortable with it, she will never shoot it well. Maybe the recoil of a .45 is no problem for a man, but most women have issues with it. I recommend you find a range that will allow her to test fire different types of pistols before you buy something.
    Do you want your wife's life to possibly depend on your choice for her personal defense weapon?

Years ago I sold guns. Numerous times guys would come in with a girl/woman wanting to "buy their wife/girl friend" a pistol for home defense. Most guys just wanted a new gun and used the excuse of buying something for her to get a new gun. They almost always wanted a semi-auto. First thing I would do is hand the girl/woman the pistol and ask them to cycle the slide. One woman out of ten could accomplish this.

You need to be very secure in your wife's ability to operate and fire [with accuracy] whatever pistol you buy for her.
    Good Luck with whatever is chosen.

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    The comment about you wife picking out a pistol for her is a valid point. If the gun doesn't fit her and she is not comfortable with it, she will never shoot it well. Maybe the recoil of a .45 is no problem for a man, but most women have issues with it. I recommend you find a range that will allow her to test fire different types of pistols before you buy something.
    Do you want your wife's life to possibly depend on your choice for her personal defense weapon?

Years ago I sold guns. Numerous times guys would come in with a girl/woman wanting to "buy their wife/girl friend" a pistol for home defense. Most guys just wanted a new gun and used the excuse of buying something for her to get a new gun. They almost always wanted a semi-auto. First thing I would do is hand the girl/woman the pistol and ask them to cycle the slide. One woman out of ten could accomplish this.

You need to be very secure in your wife's ability to operate and fire [with accuracy] whatever pistol you buy for her.
    Good Luck with whatever is chosen.
    This. My girlfriend can't even rack the slide on my Kimber. She'd have better luck beating an attacker to death with it than shooting them.

She has a visual impairment that makes her unable to aim effectively anyway, but if I were going to buy her a gun to use for protection, I think I'd be seriously considering a revolver of some sort.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Why are you choosing HER carry gun? It's really a personal preference, especially for women, so I would recommend having her choose one on her own.

I would have her try these guns out, or at least have her attempt to manipulate them first. 3" 1911's have a tendency to be extremely stiff, highly sprung guns, as a matter of function. A lot of people have problems racking the slide on these guns, and it's kind of pointless to have it as a defensive gun if she can't even manipulate it reliably.

This.

That said here is what I just typed for another fella who's wife was 1911 shopping for carry and wanted input on models:

Gal here. Congrats to your wife on the upcoming purchase.

I have EDC'd a Colt Commader .45acp for the past few years. Just recently I have transitioned to a Sig P238 that I have commandeered from my husband for summer carry. I do not take the transition lightly as I am a die hard 1911 fan. Frankly, the P238 surprised me. I had been avoiding due to it's size, however is it a great mini-carry that closely mimics the 1911. Otherwise I would have nothing to do with it.

Prior to this I was fantasizing of a Springfield EMP. It was the price tag that was scaring me off. I never was able to get to the range to rent one. One thing I was concerned with was the length of the grip. When carrying the part of the firearm I have the most trouble concealing is the grip. If I lean forward the grip protrudes. My concern with the EMP is the grip + mag bumper made for an unnecessarily long grip. I wondered if it was worth jumping from a Commander to the EMP and gain no real edge concealing.

I have for a brief period carried a Colt Oacp (Officer's acp). The grip size was just right for concealment. What I had issue with was controlling muzzle flip and recoil when shooting. It wasn't all that pleasant and I wanted to enjoy shooting my EDC.

A grail weapon for me is a Colt CCO configuration (Officer's frame/Commander slide). They are harder to find and they do cost a nice bit of money.

That's my take on carrying 1911 platforms. I have not carried a Gov't 1911, don't intend to. But I love range time with them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For most people, I honestly wouldn't recommend a 1911. It honestly makes things more difficult than they really need to be. A typical, modern, striker-fired type gun would be about the easiest way to go. There is also a whole lot of stuff in between. Anything is better than nothing, but lots of people are not willing to put in the time and effort with a 1911 to ensure proper function of the gun, and to learn effective manipulations of the gun. That's just my own, educated, opinion.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I sold my EMP in favor of the Colt Defender, then sold that in favor of my Kimber Ultra Aegis II.

Between the two mentioned, if she is comfortable with the 1911, then the Ultra gets my vote.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Magpul video said that running a 1911 is like running a high performance indie car. Is this the best choice for a first car?

lotus-cosworh-indycar-series-2010-rendering-low-res-630.jpg

Nothing wrong with striker fired guns that are more like the every day commuters.

2013-honda-accord-ex-l-sedan628opt.jpg

Top Bottom