• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    My Academy (290 @34th) had tons of 22LR this morning...

Aguila Super Extra standard velocity
    Aguila Super Extra high velocity
    Aguila Rifle Match
    Aguila Golden Eagle standard velocity
    Blazer
    Magtech standard velocity

Maybe one other I can't remember, but probably 50 boxes or more of each. No full bricks or bulk packs.
    Capitol Armory ad

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Stopped in the 290/34th Academy this morning and they had eight different brands/types of 22LR including several bulk boxes of Winchester Western (2?) and Federal AutoMatch (5-6?).

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Academy has been good to go for .22 LR for several months now. Bulk packs of Winchester Western, CCI, Federal, and Remmy at least once or twice a week. Even the occasional Winchester M-22 and Remington Bucket of Golden Bullets. Just last week I saw unicorns on the shelf at Academy at 2:30 p.m..

Then, out of the blue, they started selling primers, then reloading dies, then powder scales, then powder measures, then reloading presses, then projectiles, etc., etc. Will they stock powders?

The only good this shortage of .22 LR has done for me is to try new and interesting brands ... I would never have picked up a box of foreign ammo for range use.

(For years however, I have always kept a supply of Aquila Super Colibri for pest control. You have to get close, but one shot to the head of a skunk, possum or raccoon will get the job done).

The Aquila High Velocity 40 grain Copper Plated Round Nose shoots just as good as CCI MiniMags, but it smells like a horse farted in the next bay over.

Now, I have to compare their other loads -- subsonic, standard velocity, etc. to their American equivalents.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I actually stopped buying 22lr at my Academy a few weeks ago. Since the middle of July, they always have had some (with a 2 50round box limit, or a single brick), and I would go in a few times a week and buy some, sometimes with my wife getting 2 boxes as well.
    I've been able to get around 1400 rounds, and still had over 600 before, so I'm good now. (Didn't think I'd even THINK those words in the past 2 years)

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I actually stopped buying 22lr at my Academy a few weeks ago. Since the middle of July, they always have had some (with a 2 50round box limit, or a single brick), and I would go in a few times a week and buy some, sometimes with my wife getting 2 boxes as well.
    I've been able to get around 1400 rounds, and still had over 600 before, so I'm good now. (Didn't think I'd even THINK those words in the past 2 years)

I haven't seen any 'normal' 22lr in either of the two Academy stores I've visited in the past few weeks. Both say the supply is bought out within an hour of opening bell. Fortunately, Gander has come through on a few occasions.

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    I picked up a 300 box of CCI Mimi mags at the Pasadena academy and a 500 box Win M-22 from the humble store on Friday. So I am thrilled to see it rolling in. Just wish they would up there limit to 4 small boxes and 2 larger bricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    the last time I went into academy, they had well over 150 of the 50 round boxes in various brands, still behind the counter with a 2 box limit.
    I ask them when they planned on putting it out and taking the limit off, and of course they had no idea.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I score bulk packs all the time at Cedar Park Academy. They seem to keep a good supply of 50 and 100 round boxes too.
    Oddly, the Cedar Park store is closest to me; but I seem to drive 'around' it most days. I was speaking of the Round Rock and 183/Duval locations. I heard the 'no 22lr story' about two dozen times in one visit to the RR store. I will say the new Cedar Park Wally has had some 22lr and some decent .380 prices on a couple of visits.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I picked up a 300 box of CCI Mimi mags at the Pasadena academy and a 500 box Win M-22 from the humble store on Friday. So I am thrilled to see it rolling in. Just wish they would up there limit to 4 small boxes and 2 larger bricks.

Not yet please. I am OK with one bulk box. If the limit was raised they would sell out too fast.

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    Yesterday at the Humble academy they had federal America eagle 40gr high velocity for $2.19 a box of 50. They were letting it out four boxes at a time. That's the cheapest I've seen .22 in 15 plus years.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Yesterday at the Humble academy they had federal America eagle 40gr high velocity for $2.19 a box of 50. They were letting it out four boxes at a time. That's the cheapest I've seen .22 in 15 plus years.

Same at mine, just not with the 4 box limit. Maybe it's changed since 2 weeks ago though. :)

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Got lucky this afternoon.
    Scored 1000rds of CCI mini-mag 40gr solids. Hands down me favorite 22 ammo.
    500rds from Carter's Country on SW Freeway($7.50 100rd box) and 500rds from Gander in Sugarland($7.99 100rd box).
    Would of bought more but 5 boxes was the per person limit.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    "My" Academy (290 @ 34th) has had CCI Standard Velocity for $3.50 per box since Wednesday. I've been stopping in each day to pick up my two boxes each day.

Armand Tanzerian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I am not sure why but it seems that this 290/34th store usually has a better stock than others nearby. I make the loop between Westheimer/Voss, Bunker Hill, and this one and I most always have better luck here. Last week I got a couple of 100 rounders of CCI MiniMag, which I had not seen around in a while. I am glad they are sticking with daily limits though to keep the goobers from buying up the whole stock.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My local Academies have had plenty of .22 LR on the shelves this month. The only days I could not buy any was September 3 and 22.

Even with limits, I have been able to buy 18,000 rounds in September without having to stand in line.

Yesterday, I shot 260 rounds at the range to break in a new pistol. After a little math, my stockpile should supply me another 69 range trips.

Since I only get to the range about twice a month, I should have enough ammo for at least 2.8 years.

It is what it is.

cryption

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Houston
    The academy at Westheimer and voss was loaded down with ammo today. All calibers, with a selection I haven't seen literally in years. They had so much .22 he let me have 6 boxes. Seriously guys. So. Much. Ammo.

Top Bottom