• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Just got invited by a friend to go deer hunting this Sunday. I only have my AR15 at my disposal where I’m at. I have three different bullets: green tip, 55grn soft points, and some copper hp (Nosler maybe? I forget)
    Asking for a second opinion on which to use on a deer
    My plan is to take a neck shot or a heart shot if close enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Depends on what the soft point and hollow point were designed for. If varmint and target, I would try to get something else. Green tip, only if you can get a spine shot or maybe go through the shoulder bone. They were not designed for soft tissue alone if I understand them right.
    There are some 65gr and 69gr rounds
    In .223 rem designed for deer if you can find some.

What area are you in?

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’m up in Lubbock area currently. I’ve taken deer and hogs with the rifle before. However, I was mildly impressed. One deer I stupidly used a Vmax round. Killed the deer but no blood trail. Found him 70 yards away. The second was a neck shot on a doe. Spines her with a soft point. I’ve used green tip on hogs

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I remember you. I was going to offer you some 65gr SPs. You are a tad far though. Be a drive.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I remember you. I was going to offer you some 65gr SPs. You are a tad far though. Be a drive.

I appreciate the offer. I debated keeping my savage 308 with me but it was a slim chance of an opportunity to hunt (well here we are now)
    I think a soft point to the neck will do the job. If it’s a doe, I might consider a headshot of close enough. Never been a fan of the idea of headshotting a deer though
    I have my hunting shotgun with me too but I don’t have any experience hunting with slugs and a bead sight

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Any more info on the copper HPs? Those could work as long as they're not specifically a varmint load.

Also, where are you hunting? East Texas deer are small enough that a .223 load will take them easily. The larger West Texas deer may pose a bigger challenge.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Any more info on the copper HPs? Those could work as long as they're not specifically a varmint load.

Also, where are you hunting? East Texas deer are small enough that a .223 load will take them easily. The larger West Texas deer may pose a bigger challenge.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

They’re my friends handloads, he just told me they’re Hornady brand hp.
    I’m hunting up in Lubbock area. Very flat...

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    These right here work pretty darn well in 223. Otherwise if you have the twist the 75gr-80gr eld m are great too.
    826a3a71554b353ba5548583bbfed6a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    The soft points and HP's will work perfectly fine on whitetails. I wouldn't worry on a neck or head shot, a good double lung will put em down no problem. Might run a bit, maybe 35-50yrds, but they will drop pretty quick.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm with Ken...any bullet that goes in and through the lungs will do it. I used to go for heart shots but my girlfriend likes to make bulgogi with the heart so now I strictly aim for the lungs. Most people don't know they extend within about 2 inches of the spine and over halfway down their bodies.
    I'd still go with a soft point and I also like the 65gr game king. Just put it a few inches behind the shoulder and aim above the heart. Works like a charm.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’ll have to test one out this winter. We didn’t see anything this weekend.
    Last time I used soft points on small hogs, I was finding the bullets halfway through the bodies. Reminded me of a hot 9mm load. Expanded to roughly .30-.35

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    IMO - deer hunting with an AR15 is straight-up "you're a piece of SH!T."
    Get yourself an appropriate caliber rifle, 270 at the very least.

Lol how? I understand if you appreciate a wood stock but it’s still a lethal caliber...
    It’s killed millions of living things.
    Not to mention, my thread here is asking which bullet would be the most ethical and efficient. It’s the gun I have with me, my Arsenal is in a different town

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Lol how? I understand if you appreciate a wood stock but it’s still a lethal caliber...
    It’s killed millions of living things.
    Not to mention, my thread here is asking which bullet would be the most ethical and efficient. It’s the gun I have with me, my Arsenal is in a different town

If you had to kill your best friend, would you choose to do so with a 22 caliber weapon?.., No, you would not.

Top Bottom