IMG_8874_zps471da307.jpg

Didn't have my camera yesterday.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Do you prefer that range to Astro just a few miles up the road? I like Astro but haven't ever shot at Stan's/ Mars/ Lonestar.

Just curious.

Actually, I do prefer it over Astro. Parking is right there at the range. And you don't have to go back to the range house and lug all your stuff with you when you want to change from pistol to rifle range. Also, the baffles are so low on the Astro rifle range that it makes shooting difficult, especially with a scope. And, I didn't see a 25 yard zero target. Just 50 and 100.

And the pistol range. Maybe they have another secret range they didn't tell me about, but when I was there last March, the shooting bench was at the 7 yard line. And that was that.

The new owner at Lonestar seems like a pretty friendly guy. Easy to talk to, unlike the previous owner. He has remodeled the office and it no longer looks like a hovel nor reeks of cats, lol. His plans include expanding the number of pistol range lanes and installing motorized outdoor targets. And totally rebuilding the rifle range to include 25, 50, 100, 150 yard targets.

He raised the fee to $15 for all day, any number of weapons, but has a LEO/Military discount, so it was $13.75 for me as retired military. Closed Mondays.

The owner is also the RSO. Not the drill sergeant type. Just common sense, helping guys on the range and making sure they follow the safety rules.

Speaking of rules, there really aren't that many. You can shoot steel cased ammo or M855, no problem. I always try to go during the week, so there is relatively few others. Didn't see any signs against draw from the holster. Probably OK if you are by yourself.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    So I went to the gun range again today.
    Tried to shoot my SIG .40 and that same guy from yesterday was there.
    He was taking pictures of me today!
    Then he stole my targets.

Top Bottom