Gun Zone Deals

anyone hear about these strange wal mart closings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    After having been in the refrigeration business over 25yrs. I have seen Walmart put Svc Contractors and Vendors whom sell them product out of business with their tactics. Walmart is one of the most ruthless, scoundralous Companies I and a lot of folks I know have dealt with. After the Old Man let go of the reigns and then died, those kids turned that company UGLY!!

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    My guess is the stores were closed for
    1.) Union activity - Wally Mart is very anti Union.
    2.) Too many work injury/workers comp/lawsuits
    3.) Theft/loss from FSA
    4.) Combo of all others.

WalMart is ruthless.

Or those stores just suck and people aren't going to Wally World like they used to. I can't stand them now myself, but I remember when Sam Walton actually ran them and they proudly sold stuff made the USA.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Latest tin foil hat wearing asshattery i'm hearing is these stores had products in them that were contaminated from the Fukishima nuke reactor spill.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Oh wait.......it makes pretty good sense if you think about it. LMAO

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Yuup, I avoid Wal-Mart's like the plague now...I'll pay a tad extra for better service, better products, and just a better place to shop. As bad as they are, it's doubtful there is any govt conspiracy with them though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Don't knock Walmart. Without them not many households would be filled with cheap Chinese stuff that breaks every few years, but instead we'd be forced to own stuff made in the USA and have to keep it for far longer.

I have seen Walmart put Svc Contractors and Vendors whom sell them product out of business with their tactics. Walmart is one of the most ruthless, scoundralous Companies I and a lot of folks I know have dealt with.
    Quoted for truth.

Somebody ought to post a link to how they fucked up the pickle business.

Oh, wait, I guess I will: The Wal-Mart You Don't Know | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Our local WallyMartz isn't THAT bad if you go at the right time.
    Early weekday mornings are real easy. In and Out. Hardly anyone there.
    Afternoons are crowded.
    Friday evenings or anytime Saturday or Sunday the place is as bad as a Bombay Bus Station. FSA are thick. Avoid like the ebolaids.

Believe it or not the local WallyMartz is the only place that sells a few items I prefer. So I am doomed to go there.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Always amazed at how Wal-Mart always ends up being the cultural center of these small towns.

I spent some time in the winter in Hot Springs, AR in the last ten years. All the bikini clad beauties have gone with the summer breeze, and all that is left are tie dyed, toothless old hags and fat, redneck, pot bellied, unshaven old men ... and they go to wallyworld religiously, and on a daily basis.

Sad thing is, after twiddling your thumbs for a week or so, you start gravitating there yourself for lack of anything else to do. Even sadder, you suddenly realize you fit right in. Insidious...

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    People whine and moan about WalMart yet they are hypocrites.

One day at work we had a tanker truck driver make a delivery.
    He started running his mouth about being union, helping union brothers, Teamsters are awesome, yada, yada, yada.
    I asked him to answer one question for me. Answer it honestly I asked. He agreed.
    Do you or any member of your immediate family shop at WalMart? He just hung his head.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    People stopped being willing to pay for quality a long time ago.

Yuup, I avoid Wal-Mart's like the plague now...I'll pay a tad extra for better service, better products, and just a better place to shop. As bad as they are, it's doubtful there is any govt conspiracy with them though.

Didja read the whole thread? Or am I just that invisible lol....do I pay for quality on everything? No, but when I can, I do. Whatever. I know there are more like me out there. :cool:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    People stopped being willing to pay for quality a long time ago.

Amen. Called the Ikea mentality.

As a custom furniture and cabinetmaker, I can verify that quality and longevity is not priority one when folks buy.

As a custom home builder/remodeler, with the folks who can afford it, about all that is cared about is appearance and that it lasts until the self gratification need for the next trendy update/refresh becomes irresistible, regardless of cost.

Notable in the fact that a kitchen in a new home has a life expectancy of about 12 years these days.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Always amazed at how Wal-Mart always ends up being the cultural center of these small towns.

Sad thing is, after twiddling your thumbs for a week or so, you start gravitating there yourself for lack of anything else to do. Even sadder, you suddenly realize you fit right in. Insidious...
    I grew up in a smallish town. There wasn't anything legal to do there after 8pm other than goto Walmart.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Other sources suggest that these workers were making noises about low pay so they closed the stores. They can re-open the stores as "Super Duper" stores and rehire whole new crews.

That's how teachers are dumped. Their programs are closed, the teacher is trashed, then the program is re-opened with a slightly different title.

Regarding:

When I worked at the Prison near Navasota, there was nothing, and mean NOTHING to do in the area! Once, I actually sat on my porch and watched the grass grow! That killed time until I started buying surplus rifles to repair and refinish. I lived about 100 feet outside of the prison perimeter so I used a giant sewer pipe under a shade tree as a workbench to repair the rifles.

No matter how you killed the time, sooner or later, you'd see every employee on your shift cruising Walmart in Navasota!

Flash

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Serious question: You're kidding, right?

Unfortunately no. In the last twenty years or so, it is not unusual at all to remodel kitchens and baths in homes that are only 10 to 15 years old, and a fair number that are less than 10.

Not surprising when you consider the shoddy construction, poor materials (plantation grown construction lumber, often improperly dried, is not as dimensionally stable as lumber once was), and the unbelievably piss poor workmanship that is all too common with our current labor force.

Add to these factors the fact that much new residential construction these days uses "built-in" cabinetry (which is 'built in place' by attaching to existing walls) instead of "shop built" cabinetry (built off site, and installed on existing walls).

Because walls move, and move they will, those pretty new "built-in" cabinets (eye candy, with little structurally sound about them, because unscrupulous builders only put money where you can see it) start to fall apart ... literally. AAMOF, it is amazing what those beautiful cabinets in a brand new million dollar home in the area where I live, built in the last boom prior to 2008, look like after five to ten years.

Another factor is when one of these homes sells, the new owner wants to update the look.

Let me put it this way, I make a damned good living redoing kitchens and baths in $800k+ homes because drawers stick, doors are warped and don't close, rails and stiles become loose, and/or the old or new owner simply wants to modernize ... and the aforementioned problems make for a damned good excuse to do so.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom