• Status
    Not open for further replies.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Somewhat milder than insurgents on arab TV cutting off Mr. Pearl's head some time ago. Much milder than the scenes of the Imperial Japanese Army during "The Rape of Nanking". Milder than the massacres at the Alamo & Goliad and about par with the Battle of San Jacinto, in Texas. Sometimes we are killed by guns run amok and other times by Governments run amok like Health Care.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I'm in Iraq right now; and have been here for the past 18 months. Newsmen are not inbedded with the insurgents, even Al Jezeera doesn't have their people out in the field on their own. As many Arab reporters have been kidnapped and killed as Westerners. Weapons were found among the bodies; there was fighting going on throughout the neighborhood. I'd say the shooting was justified.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I can't determine whether it was justified, but the attitudes of the helicopter personnel concerns me. If they make it back, they will be LEO's patrolling our streets possibly someday. They need better optics. They ended up shooting the 'medics' that came to treated the wounded.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I can't determine whether it was justified, but the attitudes of the helicopter personnel concerns me. If they make it back, they will be LEO's patrolling our streets possibly someday. They need better optics. They ended up shooting the 'medics' that came to treated the wounded.

When you make the decision to kill a man in battle you need to stick with it. It is not necessary to say kind words as you end his life. Killing brings out an instinct which can make you say and do non-politically correct things (go figure).
    As for the "medics", do you think the medics were friendlies or do you think they were insurgents with the bad guys? We follow many combat rules and if they had a marked ambulance and personnel with markings they would not have been fired upon. When a group of guys roll up and throw a body in the back, then PICK UP THE DROPPED WEAPONS, they differentiate themselves from standard medics.

These guys were armed insurgents with a camera. This does not make one a "reporter". If I walk into a Wal Mart with an AK and a camera, then get shot by police while doing this activity, I am not a deceased "reporter".

Did anybody notice how they were set up in the path of a US convoy? At the beginning a guy was peeking around a building for the US forces.

War is hell.

Life is tough...it's even tougher when you are fighting against the U.S. military.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    When you make the decision to kill a man in battle you need to stick with it. It is not necessary to say kind words as you end his life. Killing brings out an instinct which can make you say and do non-politically correct things (go figure).
    As for the "medics", do you think the medics were friendlies or do you think they were insurgents with the bad guys? We follow many combat rules and if they had a marked ambulance and personnel with markings they would not have been fired upon. When a group of guys roll up and throw a body in the back, then PICK UP THE DROPPED WEAPONS, they differentiate themselves from standard medics.

These guys were armed insurgents with a camera. This does not make one a "reporter". If I walk into a Wal Mart with an AK and a camera, then get shot by police while doing this activity, I am not a deceased "reporter".

Did anybody notice how they were set up in the path of a US convoy? At the beginning a guy was peeking around a building for the US forces.

War is hell.

Life is tough...it's even tougher when you are fighting against the U.S. military.

Well said.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    YUP!! im with Burt on this one!! and they were definately there in the wrong place at the wrong time, and it wasnt for reporting!! so they got what they deserved end of story!! i got a good idea, if ya dont want to get shot, stay out of a war zone!!!!!

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    This topic is TOTALLY not what I thought it would be.

I was expecting something about a native American chasing some journalists with a tomahawk...

>_> I'm actually a little disappointed... that woulda been cool.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have a hard time sympathizing with stupidity. While in Baghdad in '03 we lost one of ours to friendly sniper fire. We were set up in an overwatch position to provide flank security during an ambush. This individual stood up, dropped his kevlar and IBA and lit up a cig. Our sniper, from about 800 meters away, saw an individual with a weapon slung over his shoulder standing 30 feet to our rear smoking a cigarette at night with none of the gear that identified him as friendly, he made a snap decision. While he has a hard time dealing emotionally with the results he was cleared of any wrong doing under the investigation and none of us harbour any ill feelings towards him. When you are doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time in a combat zone you should expect to die.....

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I have a hard time sympathizing with stupidity. While in Baghdad in '03 we lost one of ours to friendly sniper fire. We were set up in an overwatch position to provide flank security during an ambush. This individual stood up, dropped his kevlar and IBA and lit up a cig. Our sniper, from about 800 meters away, saw an individual with a weapon slung over his shoulder standing 30 feet to our rear smoking a cigarette at night with none of the gear that identified him as friendly, he made a snap decision. While he has a hard time dealing emotionally with the results he was cleared of any wrong doing under the investigation and none of us harbour any ill feelings towards him. When you are doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time in a combat zone you should expect to die.....

Complacency kills.

According to Yahoo, the guys included 2 contractors hired by Reuters for reporting.
    Leaked video shows civilian killings in Iraq, signifies growing power of independent Web journalism - Yahoo! News

Note to self, if running around with a gaggle of folks with AK 47's in front of a US patrol, tell somebody you are one of the "good guys" instead of trying to be reporter/ninja.
    http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/201889.php

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I'm not going to criticize the decision to shoot these guys. We don't have enough information to armchair quarterback these guys, and it's not unusual for the insurgents to pose as reporters, etc., and use women and children as effective human shields. On the other hand, I was a bit disturbed by the glee in which these guys did their jobs. Maybe I'm misreading it, but they seemed to enjoy blowing these guys up. They seemed detached, as if these were not real human beings they were shooting at; a video game, perhaps. That attitude bothers me, especially when these guys come home and take jobs as police officers or IRS enforcement agents.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    On the other hand, I was a bit disturbed by the glee in which these guys did their jobs. Maybe I'm misreading it, but they seemed to enjoy blowing these guys up. They seemed detached, as if these were not real human beings they were shooting at; a video game, perhaps. That attitude bothers me, especially when these guys come home and take jobs as police officers or IRS enforcement agents.

I would MUCH rather they have that attitude than to break down and cry (and become combat ineffective). Look at it this way - this is the enemy. The enemy is killing a lot of our guys with IEDs and not showing themselves. That's frustrating as hell for our troops, so to get a chance to see a group of them and to blow them up is, indeed, a happy event. "What do you feel when you kill a terrorist? Answer: Recoil."

RE: there being "reporters" in the group - as others have already said, be careful which side you embed with. How many Western reporters have the Iraqis killed?

My sympathy level for these "reporters" is ZERO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom