• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I’m thinking I want an AR in .22 lr. Not sure if I should convert one from 5.56 or just get one made for the 22. The conversion kit (CK) allows option to switch back and forth. However it seems that accuracy suffers,plus the mags have got to be rather odd. On the other hand a dedicated .22 should have better accuracy and no chance of feeding the wrong mags

Anyone out there have experience to share?

Thanks

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    I've got a dedicated .22.
    It's a 10/22 with a Butler Creek stock, and a banana mag, lots of banana mags.
    anim_bannana.gif
    :banana:
    anim_bannana.gif

20221022_103331.jpg

But if you do buy a conversion, you can go where everyone else does to find out why it doesn't work, bARF.com...
    anim_puke.gif

Kits are really cheap these days, actually lesss than my dedicated Ruger barrel.

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I've got one of the early/more primitive CMMG kits. TBH, I've only used it a couple of times. No issues though. Accuracy is relative. It's fine for what it is. You can regularly find the newer CMMG kits on sale for around $170 and it comes with 3 mags. Mags aren't awkward at all.

ETA: If I were to procure a new 22lr AR, I'd look at a Tippman M4-22 first. If you don't mind a bunch of plastic, the S&W M&P22 is popular.

https://tippmannarms.com/tippmann-arms-m4-22-elite-tactical-rifle/ $50 rebate going on now as well.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a CMMG dedicated .22 upper that I assembled on a Colt upper. Parred with Black Dog Machine drums. It rocks on the M16 lower even surppressed.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I have the newer CMMG conversion kit, the all stainless version and I have had no issues in 3 years. The only issues that did occur, was with crappy ammo. In my 16" 1:9 twist AR, I get 1" groups or less @ 50 yrds, which is plenty accurate enough to kill squirrels, I haven't missed a shot on one yet. I have a small dope sheet glued to the inside of one of my RDS lens cap. 8 clicks up and I'm on zero for 22lr.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I would get a dedicated .22lr, because all my AR's have suppressor mounts, i don't want to shoot .22lr through a centerfire can and carbon lock the mount.

And i don't want to have to constantly remove the mounts so i can mount my .22 suppressor

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    I tried the cmmg conversion and wan't real happy with it. Bought a S&W MP 1522 and never looked back. In fact, we now have 2 of them and it is all I can do to keep mags loaded for the grandkids. They both run flawlessly and eat up all the ammo I have thrown at them so far. Dedicated .22 is the way to go, at least for us.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I have a S&W M&P 1522; there is nothing wrong with it except plastic and it's not really AR...

The nice thing about a dedicated upper is that it is just another upper, and the lower is just a standard AR lower.

I put together a dedicated upper from a CMMG BCG and Right to Bear receiver and barrel.

The lower it is on has a BFSIII trigger in it for fun, and the only thing required to put a 5.56 upper on the lower is to removed the Better Mag Adapter from the mag well and put in a spring and buffer.

It uses the same mags as the S&W and functions as good or better.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    So I get dedicated upper. Now since I am a rookie on AR’s what do I do to the lower? Buffer spring and some sort of mag adapter and I am food to go?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    So I get dedicated upper. Now since I am a rookie on AR’s what do I do to the lower? Buffer spring and some sort of mag adapter and I am food to go?
    The CMMG unit relies on a spring that is contained in the upper, so no buffer worries. The Black Dog Machine magazines fit into the magazine well & no adapter needed. Some form of sights are needed.

All that's left is having fun. To maximize your enjoyment a binary trigger and suppressor add to the fun.

I like mine so much that I should my 10/22 that I had since being a kid

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area

Buffer spring and buffer won’t matter. The 22 bolt has it’s own spring.

I use my dedicated upper on a SBR lower that is also used for 300BO. Just swap uppers and mags.

The Black Dog mags do not require any adapters.

My 22 upper is a CMMG kit that included the barrel, collar, and bolt that I installed on a generic upper.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I assembled my .22 lr AR firearm using spare parts I had accumulated over the years. With my experience in building these things, I quickly put one together using the CMMG kit.

For my build, I utilized an old OMNI polymer lower, which I had initially considered tossing in the garbage. I incorporated an extra PTAC charging handle, junk spring and buffer, a spare upper receiver with a 1:7 generic barrel, and a bag of miscellaneous parts.

The result was quite successful, and the firearm performs flawlessly without any issues. I'm pleased with how well it functions, and it shoots accurately with no problems at all. A dedicated AR .22 is nice, but I really appreciate my "Frankenstein .22"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom